RICHARD PITINO........MOST

station19

Reaction score
UNDERAPPRECIATED GOPHER COACH OF ALL TIME.

TUBBY SMITH........most overrated coach of all time.

So nice to see a team improve during the year. Under Tubby we would be going down the tube, and the players would have quit playing by this time of year.

Thank you for this post.

1. His recruiting is light years ahead of Tubby's. Not only that, it is nationally recognized. I did not expect it to be this good, so happy about our recruiting.

2. Players get better under his watch. I can't think of a player that has regressed in his program.

3. This is fun basketball to watch. Tubby ball was just about the death of me. Our defensive hustle makes for such an entertaining brand.

4. 2016-17 NCAA birth, what more is there to say!!

UNDERAPPRECIATED GOPHER COACH OF ALL TIME.

TUBBY SMITH........most overrated coach of all time.

So nice to see a team improve during the year. Under Tubby we would be going down the tube, and the players would have quit playing by this time of year.

Even looking back to last year, they finished off the conf season going 2-3, including a win over Maryland after starting 0-13.

Then there is the NIT season. Finished off that season on a high note, too.

Not even a comparison.

Tubby = VW bug
Pitino = Corvette

If not for the scandal and suspensions, last year would have been a strong finish. What Joey King said in his interview was exactly what I was thinking then. They were so close so many times and never quit through that ****storm. I called the Maryland win before it happened. They were set up well and you could see it carrying over to this year. Unfortunately, Dorsey's stupid decision clouded all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus, I'm enjoying this season as much as the next guy and think Pitino is going to be a wonderful coach that builds the program into a perennial tournament team, but can we hold off on posting this stuff until after that's happened?

Pitino is "underappreciated" because we have never made the tournament under him and had 8 wins last year. Tubby has more tournament wins still, though I think that changes this year. Opinions are changing and will continue to change as time continues and he will receive proper plaudits as they are do, he already has for this great turnaround.

How is Tubby overrated? I haven't heard anyone ever say he was a great coach here, simply average at best. You can't be overrated when no one thinks you were all that good.

I'm a gigantic Pitino fan, but this post is so unnecessary and out of left field.Tubby had far more early success than Richard has had and he had some fantastic recruiting victories, especially early in his tenure.

Why crap on Tubby today? The man brought us to instant relevance in the B1G after a dark period in gopher basketball and was fired by the biggest POS AD we have ever had.

I'm a gigantic Pitino fan, but this post is so unnecessary and out of left field.Tubby had far more early success than Richard has had and he had some fantastic recruiting victories, especially early in his tenure.

Why crap on Tubby today? The man brought us to instant relevance in the B1G after a dark period in gopher basketball and was fired by the biggest POS AD we have ever had.

Because he's our coach, and recognition for a job well done is warranted. Maybe the wording is unnecessary, but the post is not. An OP that shines a light on how much we appreciate what has transpired over the course of the last year is in my estimation necessary.

People give Tubby too much flack here. But it's nice to finish strong. If we win tomorrow we'll be 7-0 in February. It would have taken Tubby 7 years to win 7 games in February. :cool:

Remember when Tubby finished the season in the top half of the conference? Me neither. It never happened. It also took him until year 6 to win his first tourney game here, so not sure what you mean about him having "far more early success than Richard".

Because he's our coach, and recognition for a job well done is warranted. Maybe the wording is unnecessary, but the post is not. An OP that shines a light on how much we appreciate what has transpired over the course of the last year is in my estimation necessary.

As I said, my issue is with the Tubby dig, not the Pitino praise.

Remember when Tubby finished the season in the top half of the conference? Me neither. It never happened. It also took him until year 6 to win his first tourney game here, so not sure what you mean about him having "far more early success than Richard".

The Tub should not be given any pat on the back for beating that totaly disinterested ucla team. Moorhead State and Concordia would both have dedtroyed them.

You can do that without ****ting on the previous staff. I'll take the Tubby years over the Monson era any day of the week.

If I had to guess, getting to the tourney in years two and three

If I had to guess, getting to the tourney in years two and three

I personally consider the wording as hyporbole. By the way, this year so far is better than any season Tubby had here. I think if the media and some fans hadn't reacted so irrationally to Tubby's firing, people would be a lot less likely to point out his shortcomings.

I personally consider the wording as hyporbole. By the way, this year so far is better than any season Tubby had here. I think if the media and some fans hadn't reacted so irrationally to Tubby's firing, people would be a lot less likely to point out his shortcomings.

Lol! My statement is hyperbole? Did you read the OP?

People are going to confuse me as an anti-Pitino fan. I love this guy and think we have a bright future.

Calling the previous coach the most over rated coach of all time is ridiculous hyperbole, and takes credit away from what Pitino is doing now.

When Tubby dies, his obit will lead with "coach of 1998 NCAA National Champion Kentucky." Whatever you might think about Tubby's coaching style, he is one of only 2 coaches in NCAA history to take 5 different teams to the NCAA tournament. He has 19 seasons of 20 wins or more.

Yeah, there were times when it was frustrating to watch his Gopher teams, but they won a lot of games and were usually competitive.

Believe me, there have been worse coaches in Gopher history.

Lol! My statement is hyperbole? Did you read the OP?

People are going to confuse me as an anti-Pitino fan. I love this guy and think we have a bright future.

Calling the previous coach the most over rated coach of all time is ridiculous hyperbole, and takes credit away from what Pitino is doing now.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I just don't think what Tubby did early on was FAR better than what Pitino has done. We'll have to agree to disagree. Tubby has had a good career. I loved him for the first 3-4 years he was here and I'm definitely glad he coached here. He left us a better program than when he got here, but it was clear we were trending downward and it was time for a change, which I'm glad we made. Would take Pitino over Tubby right now and it isn't even close. Very excited with the current direction of the program.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I just don't think what Tubby did early on was FAR better than what Pitino has done. We'll have to agree to disagree. Tubby has had a good career. I loved him for the first 3-4 years he was here and I'm definitely glad he coached here. He left us a better program than when he got here, but it was clear we were trending downward and it was time for a change, which I'm glad we made. Would take Pitino over Tubby right now and it isn't even close. Very excited with the current direction of the program.

I agree with everything you've said. I definitely think Pitino has a much higher ceiling at this point of his career. I am ecstatic about this year and the prospect of next year. I wouldn't trade places with Memphis. I just don't get the Tubby bashing along with the Pitino praise.

The OP bothered me (as he usually does), Tubby is not the most overrated coach of all time. He did some good things and had some exciting teams.

I agree with everything you've said. I definitely think Pitino has a much higher ceiling at this point of his career. I am ecstatic about this year and the prospect of next year. I wouldn't trade places with Memphis. I just don't get the Tubby bashing along with the Pitino praise.

The OP bothered me (as he usually does), Tubby is not the most overrated coach of all time. He did some good things and had some exciting teams.

My opinion is that people taking shots at Tubby when praising Pitino stems from frustration over the medias reaction to the firing. Most die hard fans felt it was time to move on, yet the media and other people who didn't pay as close of attention to the program acted like it was some sort of shock and crime that we wanted a new coach. All of Pitino's success this year just validates that we made the right decision and fans want the media and casual fans who were against it to know they were wrong and we weren't idiots for wanting change.

I think if there wouldn't have been such a negative reaction from the media and small group of Gopher fans, people wouldn't take as many shots as they do. I know I wouldn't.

My opinion is that people taking shots at Tubby when praising Pitino stems from frustration over the medias reaction to the firing. Most die hard fans felt it was time to move on, yet the media and other people who didn't pay as close of attention to the program acted like it was some sort of shock and crime that we wanted a new coach. All of Pitino's success this year just validates that we made the right decision and fans want the media and casual fans who were against it to know they were wrong and we weren't idiots for wanting change.

I think if there wouldn't have been such a negative reaction from the media and small group of Gopher fans, people wouldn't take as many shots as they do. I know I wouldn't.

Guess I don't see why that would make anyone continue to bash Tubby. Felt it was time for a change but I respected what he had accomplished. Also felt that Tubby was on the verge of a breakthrough but White's dumbassery, injuries, and Nolen's ineligibility ruined his best chances.

Because he didn't get his lazy as* out and recruit. Wake up Gopher fans, Tubby viewed the job as beneath him....

When Tubby dies, his obit will lead with "coach of 1998 NCAA National Champion Kentucky." Whatever you might think about Tubby's coaching style, he is one of only 2 coaches in NCAA history to take 5 different teams to the NCAA tournament. He has 19 seasons of 20 wins or more.

Yeah, there were times when it was frustrating to watch his Gopher teams, but they won a lot of games and were usually competitive.

Believe me, there have been worse coaches in Gopher history.

I can be the captain of industry at one company and if I mail it in after switching companies because I don't respect the new company and their shareholders, am I still a captain of industry? Hero worship stuff here is disturbing

Guess I don't see why that would make anyone continue to bash Tubby. Felt it was time for a change but I respected what he had accomplished. Also felt that Tubby was on the verge of a breakthrough but White's dumbassery, injuries, and Nolen's ineligibility ruined his best chances.

And then he just mailed it in. Too much hero worship here for someone who basically gave the program a big F-U in terms of how hard he tried

Haha station19...you tried to pretend all those years that you don't hate Tubby's guts. Funny stuff. You start a thread out of nowhere to sh1t all over him. Feel real proud of yourself, no doubt.

Thanks, Tubby, for mailing it in for 6 years. Great job. Tireless recruiter. If by tireless you mean lazy.

Haha station19...you tried to pretend all those years that you don't hate Tubby's guts. Funny stuff. You start a thread out of nowhere to sh1t all over him. Feel real proud of yourself, no doubt.

+19

Friends forever.

I feel badly that we fired Tubby, he was such a nice guy.

My favorite part of having Tubby as our coach was when the team was beating the opponent and Tubby would take everyone out and put in all new players, allowing for the other team to catch back up, it made the games far more exciting and interesting to me.

And I also liked that Tubby worked for free. See, if we had paid him a lot of money, then I might have expected him to work real hard. And if we had paid him well, then I wouldn't have felt badly when we fired him. But since he worked for free, I was ok with his being lazy at recruiting.

Thing is, I don't regret the hiring of Tubby Smith, but I also don't regret the Firing of him, either. Tubby was given the chance to prove himself here, he could have truly made a name for himself here. But he didn't do that.

Someone mentioned that he won a Natl Title at Kentucky??? I wonder if that person knows how Kentucky fans feel about Tubby? He was nicknamed Ten loss Tubby. Every Kentucky fan I've ever met credits that Natl Title to the PREVIOUS Coach. Much the way fans of Tony Dungy give him the credit for Tampa Bays Super Bowl win won the year after he was let go. Tubby was great at building up programs and its understandable that they hired Tubby, but after winning that Title in his first year, its like that was enough for him. He was coaching at Kentucky, he may have fet that being at Kentucky, and having won UK a Title, meant that recruits should be coming to him? That is when Kentucky fans believe he started mailing it in.

He may be a nice guy, but he apparently lost his fire. The University of Minnesota needs guys like PJ Fleck and Rick Pitino. We don't need any more nice guys who mail it in.

And I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for daring to criticize Tubby Smith, because I know the University of Minnesota paid him VERY WELL!!!

The University of Minnesota is one of the largest businesses in the entire state of Minnesota. It employs tens of thousands of people, it's mission is to serve the state and the people of the state, the TAXPAYERS who have contributed towards the University of Minnesota. So it's like a multibillion dollar business that is beholden to its shareholders. Billion dollar companies don't keep people around to run departments/branches of their business just because they are nice guys. If they are not doing a good enough job, they get demoted or fired or let go.

College basketball and football is depended upon to support all of the other sports at the school, so it is irresponsible of the Athletic Department if they keep cbb or cfb coaches around just because they are nice guys.

The B1G Conference is a multi-Billion dollar business and does a lot for each of it's individual schools, and those schools need to do what they can to help out the conference. Minnesota as an institution was "Mailing it in" when it came to football and basketball, and my guess is the Conference may have had a talk with some people at the U, about the U's responsibility towards the conference. Minnesota is the only Div 1 school in the state and it was/is embarrassing how the Dakota schools are beating the U out in recruiting, in basketball and in football.

The wasted potential is almost criminal, if anything, it was irresponsible. The people of the State of Minnesota deserve better. The B1G Conference deserves better.

And NOW, now we finally have a new outdoor football stadium, it took too long, but we got it. And NOW, now we finally are getting a new Athletes Village. It took long enough. It was being talked about a very long time ago. Minnesota was near the bottom in coaches pay and near the bottom in facilities. But they finally started to see the light. The success the B1G Conf was seeing with the BTN, may have been part of the reason why U officials finally started seeing the light.

So was Tubby Smith a nice guy? Sure? Was he paid well? YES! Did he give us our money's worth? That is debatable. I don't think so. Others disagree.

But now with new facilities, and an admin whose attitude seems to be improving, the days of keeping around coaches because they are "nice guys" should be behind us.

So if you don't like how the TC or Tubby Smith firings were handled, that's fine, you are Minnesotans, and Minnesotans are nice, right?

Well I will say it again, when those coaches take HUGE pay cuts and work for next to nothing, then I will accept keeping them around just because they are nice. So when the University of Minnesota is kicked out of the B1G Conference and drops down to the Division III level in Athletics, then we should ask coaches to work for next to nothing and we should then accept mediocrity and take into consideration whether or not they are a nice guy or not.

Top Bottom