What don't I know about Davonte Fitzgerald?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I have never seen him play. I've looked at his stats a few times. All I hear is "next year with Fitzgerald..." but what am I missing? He looks like he was a role player in 14-15 for an average SEC team.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/davonte-fitzgerald-1.html

Is there something I don't know? A year off and a torn ACL probably aren't helping his career. What leads anyone to think he will contribute meaningful minutes?

Not saying he won't, just asking what leads us to think that?

Good points.

I have never seen him play either but what excites me is how excited Pitino is on the guy. Pitino was really excited about Lynch and Curry before this year started and was really excited about Murphy before last year. I'll trust coach and assume that Fitzgerald can contribute when he's healthy.

Huge wildcard. He has length and athleticism and should provide some minutes.

Lots of months have passed since his last game minutes.

Anything he can contribute is icing on the cake that is currently being baked.

His height and skill set fit in well with what could really help this team. His current injury recovery is the second major one of his college career. I think it is fair to assume he is part of the plan. Pitino has said as much. Several on this board have asked or answered the same questions you have. It is a leap to assume too much from a guy we have never seen play coming off such a serious injury. I think the few who have seen him play in scrimmages, etc. have said he is a good shooter and certainly is in the mold of the kind of player Pitino wants in his system. Whether he is able to be a significant contributor off his injury will be a major question mark heading into next season.

Any word on a medical red shirt or will he only be with the team for 1 year, or is that a decision that can be made at the end of next year?

It is so nice that we can ask this question and not have to hinge our hopes for success on what the answer is. I hope that Devonte comes in and provides valuable minutes, but if his injury doesn't allow that, I hope he has taken full advantage of the education and networks provided to him by being a Gopher.

I've watch him at a couple practices last year and word from former players who have watched him, I don't think he will be as much of a factor as we are all anticipating. He's not really a front court player and he's not really a 3 man (really suspect handle). He does work hard and try hard but Curry def would have passed him on the depth chart. I think we will definitely need to bring another 5 man just for insurance with Lynch foul issues and Bakary being a wildcard

I've watch him at a couple practices last year and word from former players who have watched him, I don't think he will be as much of a factor as we are all anticipating. He's not really a front court player and he's not really a 3 man (really suspect handle). He does work hard and try hard but Curry def would have passed him on the depth chart. I think we will definitely need to bring another 5 man just for insurance with Lynch foul issues and Bakary being a wildcard

That can't happen unless someone transfers. Also Curry can play some 5 if needed.

I think we will have a "mutual decision" transfer either Gilbert or Gaston if not both. Curry at the 5 for limited minutes is okay but when we play vs some of these bigger post.

I think we will "mutual decision" transfer either Gilbert or Gaston if not both. Curry at the 5 for limited minutes is okay but when we play vs some of these bigger post.

+1. One of those two, if not both, will find a new path. No hard feelings either way.

I think we will "mutual decision" transfer either Gilbert or Gaston if not both. Curry at the 5 for limited minutes is okay but when we play vs some of these bigger post.

I wouldn't even consider Gaston a possibility as he has immigration issues to deal with. It would not be in any way beneficial for him to transfer out, as far as I've heard. Basically, we'll probably be stuck with him being on scholarship come next year. As long as its a good move for him, I hope I'm wrong about this.

I wouldn't even consider Gaston a possibility as he has immigration issues to deal with. It would not be in any way beneficial for him to transfer out, as far as I've heard. Basically, we'll probably be stuck with him being on scholarship come next year. As long as its a good move for him, I hope I'm wrong about this.

You may be right, but I don't see any reason for Gilbert to stay. Unless he loves being in the Twin Cities, he probably understands that there won't be playing time available for him any time soon.

I think we will have a "mutual decision" transfer either Gilbert or Gaston if not both. Curry at the 5 for limited minutes is okay but when we play vs some of these bigger post.

Gilbert has been seeing his playing time increased lately so i'm not so sure he will be gone and as for Gaston a lot of people (including me) said the same thing last year. I dont think either transfer is likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

+1. One of those two, if not both, will find a new path. No hard feelings either way.
Gaston will be staying here. Pitino mentioned how hard he works and the effort he gives in practice. Starters need guys like Gaston around to make them better. I think Gas will graduate from the U with honors.

I think we will definitely need to bring another 5 man just for insurance with Lynch foul issues and Bakary being a wildcard

For a back-up Bakary and Curry if needed are pretty darn good options... I'm fine with the 5 next season.

Ryan James has said that assuming there is a transfer to expect a scoring guard grad transfer instead of a big man.

Bakary Konate bless his heart, is the worst D1 basketball player iv seen in a long time.. we need to bring in a 6'10 6'11 grad student because if we have to rely on the "bakery is always open" Konate we will lose a few more games because of it

Bakary Konate bless his heart, is the worst D1 basketball player iv seen in a long time.. we need to bring in a 6'10 6'11 grad student because if we have to rely on the "bakery is always open" Konate we will lose a few more games because of it

Completely disagree. The progress he made since last year has been great. He's not a starter, but he's played some really nice backup minutes this year.

Completely disagree. The progress he made since last year has been great. He's not a starter, but he's played some really nice backup minutes this year.

I've been surprised and pleased with what Bakary has contributed this year, and he's also going to improve next year. Will probably never be a threat to score more than 5' away but he's going to be even more valuable playing defense and rebounding in the future.

I've wondered if Fitzgerald wouldn't be a possibility to transfer, especially if Pitino has the opportunity to bring in a good grad transfer. He had the knee injury his Freshman year, then another one this year and those are not easy for basketball players to come back from. Before he can step on the court next year he will have not played in a regular season game in 2.5 years. That's a long time.

Didn't Pitino say at one point that Fitz would be a starter? I think he was talking about his play early on this past fall before he got hurt. Could be wrong but I remember Pitino saying that he would play major minutes...

You may be right, but I don't see any reason for Gilbert to stay. Unless he loves being in the Twin Cities, he probably understands that there won't be playing time available for him any time soon.

He already has been getting minutes over Hurt in a few recent games and if he thinks that that'll continue into next year, he'd stay. It's definitely a possibility that he could win the backup SF job next year.

Could definitely see one of the two transferring. I don't think both will. Not gonna be a ton of options and now that we're good and they presumable really like the team, I would understand not leaving.

I've wondered if Fitzgerald wouldn't be a possibility to transfer, especially if Pitino has the opportunity to bring in a good grad transfer. He had the knee injury his Freshman year, then another one this year and those are not easy for basketball players to come back from. Before he can step on the court next year he will have not played in a regular season game in 2.5 years. That's a long time.

Having already transfered once and injured he would probably not be allowed to play basketball in college again if Fitz left. The 4 in 5 rule is tougher than it used to be to get extra year of college eligibility.

What we know about Fitz is before season Pitino said Fitz was the best 3 point shooter they had so I will trust what he says. He also brings great length to this squad. No reason he can't give quality minutes of the bench. And as much as Murphy and Lynch are in foul trouble another quality body only helps.

If he recovers enough to play he is strictly a wing, he would give Coffey a break and put Hurt and Gilbert on the bench, after two knee surgery's would he even be as athletic as either of those two is the question. I think Hurt adjusts to the college game and gets the minutes is more likely.

in an answer to the original question-from a couple of conversations with him in the summer of 2015- you probably don't know that he seems like a very down to earth kid, easy to talk with. Had a quiet determination to get stronger and get better in his year off while sitting out the transfer year.

but to answer what you really wanted to know-- i have never seen him play, but the players and coaches would let slip once in a while how he was sometimes the best player on the floor in practice and pickup games. Two ACL surgeries on the same leg make it hard to believe it will be a quick or complete recovery tho

Top Bottom