Sid: You wonder if Fleck will reward Gophers junior LB Blake Cashman with scholarship

They will. They just are waiting until fall so it won't count against the scholarship recruit count.

One would hope so. With 3 scholarships still available.if not, see ya! And who could blame him and his family for pulling the plug.

I'm pretty sure fleck said that they are going to they are just waiting for fall

Yeah, I wonder... :confused:

Oh, Sid. Still trying to fill some space in your column.

One would hope so. With 3 scholarships still available.if not, see ya! And who could blame him and his family for pulling the plug.

It makes sense to wait until the fall and give Cashman a scholarship. Those three scholarships you are talking about will roll over to next year. If they give him one now he counts against the recruiting class and only two will roll over.

I believe most players take a full course load over the summer. By waiting until Fall, doesn't he lose out on getting his classes and books paid for? Each month is costing him housing and food money. He should have been given the scholarship in time for Spring 2017 semester, in my opinion. I know in the past, senior players who have already gotten their bachelor's degree, did not come back to school in January. Couldn't a scholarship have opened up for him? Granted, I haven't paid enough attention to know what scholarships are available, but he should have been given one already if at all possible.

I'm pretty sure fleck said that they are going to they are just waiting for fall

Hadn't heard that. I hadn't heard anything regarding Cashman since Claeys was fired, so I was kind of wondering where he stood and if he was on Fleck's radar. If Fleck said that, it's good because he's at least aware of how deserved it is.

It makes sense to wait until the fall and give Cashman a scholarship. Those three scholarships you are talking about will roll over to next year. If they give him one now he counts against the recruiting class and only two will roll over.

So I'm asking out of ignorance - what are the rules on rewarding walk-ons with scholarships and it going against the recruiting numbers? I've never heard that as a factor in whether or not to grant a guy, just whether the total number was under 85. Did Carpenter count against this year's recruiting class? If not, why not?

Also, I thought I read that Cashman couldn't be awarded until summer for some reason (where Carpenter could for spring). Maybe based on when they enrolled? Anyway, does that have something to do with it?

Final question, assuming you are correct he would go against this year, do we legitimately think that they will use the final three spots? I'm kind of wondering if it would be a moot point either way?

A scholarship given in the first 2 years, counts against the recruiting class. Carpenter redshirted while Cashman did not, creating the difference and allowing Carpenter to get one this spring.

This shouldn't be a surprise to Cashman or any other walk on. While I don't know, I suspect and hope the coaching staff explains this to every walk on. I'm not sure if Cashman can receive one in the summer of if he'd have to wait until fall. If he's concerned about money, don't take any summer classes, work and focus on getting better. It's his choice whether or not to take classes. Scholarship guys take classes because they are paid for and they get addition money to live off of if they do.

did they teach journalists to employ the 2nd person at the U j-school in 1910?

I believe most players take a full course load over the summer. By waiting until Fall, doesn't he lose out on getting his classes and books paid for? Each month is costing him housing and food money. He should have been given the scholarship in time for Spring 2017 semester, in my opinion. I know in the past, senior players who have already gotten their bachelor's degree, did not come back to school in January. Couldn't a scholarship have opened up for him? Granted, I haven't paid enough attention to know what scholarships are available, but he should have been given one already if at all possible.

He's from EP I doubt his family is strapped for Cash, hell his name has the word Cash in it

So I'm asking out of ignorance - what are the rules on rewarding walk-ons with scholarships and it going against the recruiting numbers? I've never heard that as a factor in whether or not to grant a guy, just whether the total number was under 85. Did Carpenter count against this year's recruiting class? If not, why not?

Also, I thought I read that Cashman couldn't be awarded until summer for some reason (where Carpenter could for spring). Maybe based on when they enrolled? Anyway, does that have something to do with it?

Final question, assuming you are correct he would go against this year, do we legitimately think that they will use the final three spots? I'm kind of wondering if it would be a moot point either way?

A scholarship given in the first 2 years, counts against the recruiting class. Carpenter redshirted while Cashman did not, creating the difference and allowing Carpenter to get one this spring.

This shouldn't be a surprise to Cashman or any other walk on. While I don't know, I suspect and hope the coaching staff explains this to every walk on. I'm not sure if Cashman can receive one in the summer of if he'd have to wait until fall. If he's concerned about money, don't take any summer classes, work and focus on getting better. It's his choice whether or not to take classes. Scholarship guys take classes because they are paid for and they get addition money to live off of if they do.

Tim answered the scholarship question. As for the final three spots waiting and giving Cashman the scholarship in the fall allows us to sign 28 next year if coach Fleck chooses.

Pretty sure it's 2 academic years, so whether the summer classes count towards the 2016-17 school year, or 2017-18 would determine that.

He's from EP I doubt his family is strapped for Cash, hell his name has the word Cash in it

Not to mention his first name is "Blake". Clearly the name of someone from a family with means.

Done deal. Just has to make sense from a numbers standpoint. It's gonna happen Sid.

Can I get my butter knife steak now?

Fleck just told Sid it was gonna happen, but they have to follow some NCAA rules before they can give it to him. He knows it's coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid didn't graduate high school much less attend the U.

Times have changed. As much as I don't always like Sid, you do have to hand it to him for his credits in life. He has done well in his life unlike some people who didn't take advantage of opportunities that are in front of us.

Pretty sure it's 2 academic years, so whether the summer classes count towards the 2016-17 school year, or 2017-18 would determine that.

They usually count summer to be the start of the school year so they can get the new frosh in school completing credits so their fall semester isn't too loaded, and getting them to work out with the team.

Tim answered the scholarship question. As for the final three spots waiting and giving Cashman the scholarship in the fall allows us to sign 28 next year if coach Fleck chooses.

You are correct- since only 22 of our commits were assignee to the 2017 class (3 early enrollees to 2016) we potentially could sign 28 next year with 3 early starters assigned to the 2017 class. However, to sign that many we'll have to have a fair amount of attrition as we won't have 25 graduating seniors.

You are correct- since only 22 of our commits were assignee to the 2017 class (3 early enrollees to 2016) we potentially could sign 28 next year with 3 early starters assigned to the 2017 class. However, to sign that many we'll have to have a fair amount of attrition as we won't have 25 graduating seniors.

I believe there are several Juniors that will graduate in Spring of 2018. If they go to grad school their schollies don't count.

I believe there are several Juniors that will graduate in Spring of 2018. If they go to grad school their schollies don't count.

The scholarships still count if they are in grad school. The only reason they wouldn't count would be if they graduated and decided to move on.

The scholarships still count if they are in grad school. The only reason they wouldn't count would be if they graduated and decided to move on.
Graduate and move on might be a popular option with the change in system, some of the players might find that they no longer fit the system, others might be encouraged to move on by the staff.

Thanks for the explanation everyone! I was really confused.

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck on walk-on linebacker Blake Cashman’s scholarship status: “We’re working on it. There’s some different rules that I have to follow with the NCAA, but when I can provide him a scholarship, I’ll be honest with you, I’ve already told him he has a scholarship coming. The first opportunity and the first minute I can give that young man a scholarship, he is getting it. I promised it to him. He was in my office and I made sure he knew that. Now I just have to wait for the NCAA deadline on when I can actually give it to him.”

http://www.startribune.com/brian-do...ins-must-rebound-from-worst-season/415828014/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Over/under on how many times Sid still asks if he'll get a scholarship?

Top Bottom