Video: Mitch Leidner hitting a 38" 1-leg box jump

If I got my games correct ??? He looked like a sure first rounder in the first half of Wisconsin game. The second half was a different story and I have no idea what happens in those situations.

When a Qb goes "o-fer" 15 with 3 or 4 picks without a completion it's a bad look. Sure, our offensive line was completely baffled by the Wisconsin rush and our receivers aren't top notch but that was a historically bad sequence of plays. I laugh about it otherwise I'd cry. Total team meltdown.

here's the thing with message boards. often times people can have an opinion and have it loudly and over and over again and it can create the sense that there is a consensus, or even a widely held belief. it's just a bunch of people writing **** on a message board.

with that said, mitch is probably about the 70th most "athletic" person on the gopher roster.

Right. Sam Bradford had a faster 40 time coming out of college if what's currently on the NFL draft scout sites is accurate.

I doubt he'll be drafted, but someone will probably bring him in for a closer look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why couldn't he have done that in the games!!?

Well for one there are 11 guys on defense in games. Second there were times were Mitch threw it right on the money and Woli, Woz or Carter would let it go through their hands, also didn't help that he never had a WR that would go up and fight for a 50/50 ball.

I could see him getting on a practice squad as a development QB. No matter how glaring his flaws may seem to Gopher fans, there is always a coach somewhere who sees the potential and thinks he can "fix" the flaws. The NFL is all about the measureables, and Leidner has the size they like. As wacky as this sounds, I could see some team picking him up as a "wildcat" QB - an actual QB who comes in to run the wildcat instead of a RB, and retains (in theory) a legitimate chance to throw the ball for a completion.

When you consider some of the turds who wind up as the 3rd QB on NFL teams (just look at the Vikings), it's certainly plausible that Leidner winds up on a roster somewhere.

If he doesn't make it in the NFL, I would not be shocked to see him wind up in Canada.

I would normally say no chance but if Fruechte can make an NFL roster than I think Mitch can too.

What's that got to do with playing Football??

You usually have to complete some passes first to get into position to score the winning TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he should have tried throwing spirals with that leg

Unless he is playing Michigan with the game on the line.

Just like Michigan game in '15

Ala Michigan...

Weird seeing him hit wide open WR

Just keep embarrassing yourselves. As human beings.

Go Mitch! Your NFL practice squad salary will be more than any of these guys make.

Go Mitch! Your NFL practice squad salary will be more than any of these guys make.
To be fair, like 3 of those were in direct response to someone who implied that this one legged box jump means he will be one of the greatest quarterback sneakers of all time

I could see him getting on a practice squad as a development QB. No matter how glaring his flaws may seem to Gopher fans, there is always a coach somewhere who sees the potential and thinks he can "fix" the flaws. The NFL is all about the measureables, and Leidner has the size they like. As wacky as this sounds, I could see some team picking him up as a "wildcat" QB - an actual QB who comes in to run the wildcat instead of a RB, and retains (in theory) a legitimate chance to throw the ball for a completion.

When you consider some of the turds who wind up as the 3rd QB on NFL teams (just look at the Vikings), it's certainly plausible that Leidner winds up on a roster somewhere.

If he doesn't make it in the NFL, I would not be shocked to see him wind up in Canada.

These are my thoughts as well. There's a few guys you would never think could stand on the sidelines holding a clipboard and drawing an NFL salary in the process. He has the physical attributes that will earn him a look. What he does with that is the question.

To be fair, like 3 of those were in direct response to someone who implied that this one legged box jump means he will be one of the greatest quarterback sneakers of all time

Yeah, no one implied that anywhere.

Sorry, I know I'm an a$$hole on this board sometimes. I cannot tolerate anyone who rips on a player, past or present*. Most of these guys give their all for Minnesota and the football program. It's just not my place to judge a college athlete, as I was never one, unless you count me getting my ass handed to me in 3 on 3 intramural basketball. Coaches are one thing, but players are off limits for me. You can rip on a coach for playing a guy, but leave the guy be. That's just my policy, you can follow your own heart.

*I have a 30 year statute of limitations. That is why I rip on Bob Stein an Jim Carter. They had 40 years to work hard to lose my affections.

Every single person who responded with a comment about Michigan was responding to the same thing

Saying that a guy shows evidence of good leg drive isn't implying that he's one of the greatest quarterback sneakers of all time.

Sorry, I know I'm an a$$hole on this board sometimes. I cannot tolerate anyone who rips on a player, past or present*. Most of these guys give their all for Minnesota and the football program. It's just not my place to judge a college athlete, as I was never one, unless you count me getting my ass handed to me in 3 on 3 intramural basketball. Coaches are one thing, but players are off limits for me. You can rip on a coach for playing a guy, but leave the guy be. That's just my policy, you can follow your own heart.

*I have a 30 year statute of limitations. That is why I rip on Bob Stein an Jim Carter. They had 40 years to work hard to lose my affections.

Fair points, but these are Division I-A football players. They are the best of the best, and almost every single one has an ego to match. If they can't take heckling from the peanut gallery, or other players, or coaches, they're going to wash out. The athletically gifted that are also mentally strong will be just fine. Mitch doesn't care what we think about him. Mitch probably cares what NFL scouts and coaches think and that's where the rubber meets the road. If he has delusions of grandeur he's got about 57 and a wake up coming. Maybe he gets on a squad or drafted in the late rounds but if he honestly assesses himself as a first rounder I don't think we're obligated to play along with their make believe.

There isn't a player alive that doesn't have a sector of the fanbase ripping on them for something whether it's their ability, their purported sexuality, and the list goes on. I doubt any of them care much at all what Joe Six Pack has to say.

Saying that a guy shows evidence of good leg drive isn't implying that he's one of the greatest quarterback sneakers of all time.
True. Being able to read does not mean you can understand.

i don't know if i'm glad that you didn't quote me or upset. my first reaction was to type that mitch was about the 90th most athletic person on the team, but then i buckled and typed 70th.

or maybe you are just another poster who has blocked me over the years.:(

I think this is a great post. We have all been present for the Mitch Era and have seen a QB that lacks some basic skills but has also been more successful than almost anybody over the last 40 years. The reality, though, is that he bleeds Maroon and Gold and gave his all for his entire time here - even while in pain. If he wasn't up to your standards, blame the coaches because he was the best option we had.

I doubt he will ever take a snap in the NFL, but I am still proud of the way he represented THE University of this state over the last 4 years and I think taking shots at him is a really sh!tty thing for a 'fan' of this program to do.

I think this is a great post. We have all been present for the Mitch Era and have seen a QB that lacks some basic skills but has also been more successful than almost anybody over the last 40 years. The reality, though, is that he bleeds Maroon and Gold and gave his all for his entire time here - even while in pain. If he wasn't up to your standards, blame the coaches because he was the best option we had.

I doubt he will ever take a snap in the NFL, but I am still proud of the way he represented THE University of this state over the last 4 years and I think taking shots at him is a really sh!tty thing for a 'fan' of this program to do.

Agree 100%. He didn't whine and complain, he always gave top effort, and he represented the U well. I could never bash a kid for that. Could he have been more consistent, absolutely! But I know he did his best. Sometimes those chips fall where they may. Plus he's a local kid! That is one of the best things about college football...local kids play for your team, love that!

Good luck Mitch, hope you get a shot and let the chips fall where they may!

That leg strength and vertical might come in handy when he's competing for a TE spot on a roster.

My thought as well...TE or H-back. Creates a lot of mismatches...if he can catch the ball.

Hope he makes someones practice squad and can work his way into a back up role at QB in the coming years. He may not have been the greatest passing QB in Gopher history, but he was a great competitor and guided our team to some of the more successful seasons that we have had.
Ski-U Mah!

Top Bottom