Video: Mitch Leidner hitting a 38" 1-leg box jump

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is very impressive hitting 38" off of one leg:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

On a QB sneak, it shows he has the leg strength to move the pile or can leap over the pile if needed to score the winning TD...

On a QB sneak, it shows he has the leg strength to move the pile or can leap over the pile if needed to score the winning TD...

You usually have to complete some passes first to get into position to score the winning TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job Mitch. Keep impressing and get that shot in the NFL!

He is a physical specimen, and he showed some talent his junior year. I hope he catches on somewhere.

I've read here many times how unathletic he is. Weird.

He has very inconsistent throwing mechanics, but his arm strength is more than fine. Making quick reads and getting the ball out was always his problem. Big guy who can run some. I can understand the frustration of some fans seeing that he was so inconsistent, but it will be interesting to see who takes a flyer on him, because someone will.

I think he's probably viewed as an interesting project and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a look and maybe catches on.

Yup. Every coach thinks they're the greatest and can make an all-pro out of a talented prospect. No doubt Leidner gets a shot somewhere.

Why couldn't he have done that in the games!!?

I hope he does well! I sarcastically tell my friends that he's going to tear up the NFL and make us all pull our hair out because of it. Maybe something will click with NFL coaching.

Unless he is playing Michigan with the game on the line.

I've read here many times how unathletic he is. Weird.

here's the thing with message boards. often times people can have an opinion and have it loudly and over and over again and it can create the sense that there is a consensus, or even a widely held belief. it's just a bunch of people writing **** on a message board.

with that said, mitch is probably about the 70th most "athletic" person on the gopher roster.

Just like Michigan game in '15

He has very inconsistent throwing mechanics, but his arm strength is more than fine. Making quick reads and getting the ball out was always his problem. Big guy who can run some. I can understand the frustration of some fans seeing that he was so inconsistent, but it will be interesting to see who takes a flyer on him, because someone will.

I've heard this a lot, so it must be true, unless it isn't. If he isn't good at making quick reads and throws, then why was he able to handle blitzes so well and do such fantastic work at the end of some games in high-pressure situations?

If you've done much coaching, you've probably known kids who can do amazing things in practice, or on the spur of the moment, or if you surprise them, but in game situations when they've had a lot of time to anticipate, their talent seems to disappear. I always chalk it up to a lack of confidence, or the yips. Conversely there are kids who seem perfectly ordinary until game day, then they transcend their own ability level and elevate themselves above their peers.

I've encountered this in baseball and boxing for years, and I still haven't figured it out.

Some guys have incredible concentration that they can only tap when the pressure is at it's highest.

I've heard this a lot, so it must be true, unless it isn't. If he isn't good at making quick reads and throws, then why was he able to handle blitzes so well and do such fantastic work at the end of some games in high-pressure situations?

If you've done much coaching, you've probably known kids who can do amazing things in practice, or on the spur of the moment, or if you surprise them, but in game situations when they've had a lot of time to anticipate, their talent seems to disappear. I always chalk it up to a lack of confidence, or the yips. Conversely there are kids who seem perfectly ordinary until game day, then they transcend their own ability level and elevate themselves above their peers.

I've encountered this in baseball and boxing for years, and I still haven't figured it out.

I've never coached, so you have me there, but I think it's relatively easy to make the read on the blitz because the QB will usually check to the safe receiver. Leidner's biggest problem--at least to me--revolved around his release and his inability to get the ball to guys coming out of their breaks.

The key to coaching is understanding it is all mental preparation

Both of these are absolutely common yet many on here discount both as not existing. The answer is mental preparation, Visualization, confidence, trust etc That and not asking people to do things they are not good at, forgetting to remind them of upcoming execution, designing plays which make it harder rather than easier to accomplish the desired outcome etc in short coaching is the answer.

The real question is 'How many Teammates went to his Birthday Party? ala Bo Callahan.

Look, Tim Tebow was drafted as a QB in the first round. Literally anything is possible. Despite obvious and glaring faults many fell in love with the Tebow persona and overlooked the fact he couldn't perform consistently at the pro level. Someone could fall in love with Mitch's size and arm despite the game tape and that Wisconsin game. Big, strong armed QB, telegenic and team guy.

I'll be shocked if he's drafted but anything is possible. I loved Mitch for all his positives but he has mental blocks on game day and that's a killer AFAIC.

Look, Tim Tebow was drafted as a QB in the first round. Literally anything is possible. Despite obvious and glaring faults many fell in love with the Tebow persona and overlooked the fact he couldn't perform consistently at the pro level. Someone could fall in love with Mitch's size and arm despite the game tape and that Wisconsin game. Big, strong armed QB, telegenic and team guy.

I'll be shocked if he's drafted but anything is possible. I loved Mitch for all his positives but he has mental blocks on game day and that's a killer AFAIC.

If I got my games correct ??? He looked like a sure first rounder in the first half of Wisconsin game. The second half was a different story and I have no idea what happens in those situations.

This is very impressive hitting 38" off of one leg:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Was that 38" hand-measured?

Top Bottom