Zag's article about both Pitinos in the Tourney...

sal

Reaction score
During his four previous years as a head coach, Richard Pitino has come close to joining his famous father in the NCAA Tournament a couple of times.
“For me, I’ve been really close,” Pitino, 34, told FanRagSports.com by phone on Thursday. “My first year at FIU we were really close, we went to the finals of the conference tournament. My second year [and first at Minnesota] we were probably once of the last teams to not make it. So we’ve been pretty close.”
In 2014, Pitino’s second year at the Big Ten program, the Gophers were left out of the Big Dance and went on to win the NIT championship at Madison Square Garden, finishing 25-13.

Now here we are in 2017: Richard and Rick Pitino stand on the brink of history. They will become the first father-son tandem ever to serve as head coaches in the same NCAA Tournament.
“I don’t really think about it, he’s been in plenty of NCAA Tournaments,” Richard said of his father.
Several father-son combinations have coached in the NCAA Tournament, but not at the same time, NCAA spokesman David Worlock said. The Suttons came the closest, with Eddie coaching in his last tournament in 2005 and Scott coaching in his first in 2006.
ESPN’s Joe Lunardi currently has Louisville as a 2 seed and Minnesota as a 7. And no, he does not have them in the same region.
“Richard is one of the best assistants I’ve had and I’ve been fortunate to work with over 28 that have become outstanding coaches,” Rick Pitino told FanRagSports.com. “He is humble and hard working. I can’t put into words how proud our entire family is of the building job he is doing at Minnesota. We are super excited that the Gophers will be competing in March Madness.”
The elder Pitino, 64, is the only coach to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four, and is the only coach to win an NCAA championship at two different programs (Kentucky and Louisville).
The Cardinals are headed for yet another NCAA Tournament appearance despite Wednesday night’s loss at North Carolina in which a fan was ejected*after getting into a heated argument with Pitino.
“I take it from the students all the time,” Rick Pitino said. “You expect it from students. But from an adult? And then turns his back on me like he’s a coward. And he is a coward. But North Carolina is a classy place, and one person doesn’t speak for the rest of the people.”
The story in the Pitino family this year is Richard.
With Wednesday’s 89-75 win at No. 24 Maryland, the Gophers (21-7, 9-6 Big Ten) have now won six in a row.
“It’s big for a lot of reasons,” Richard Pitino said. “I thought we were in pretty good shape for the NCAA Tournament. Obviously, we had a really good RPI but at the end of the day to get one more Top-20 RPI win it solidifies you for the NCAA Tournament.
“To do that, [we] obviously bounced back after a very difficult year with a very young team, five new faces, all guys playing major minutes. It’s just a testament to our guys. We always thought we turned the corner and our guys proved us right.”
Pitino pointed to the first Maryland game, an 85-78 home loss on Jan. 28, as the turning point for his club.
“After that game, they all looked themselves in the mirror, we all looked ourselves in the mirror and said we gotta take ownership,” he said. “And they’ve been so much better since then.”

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/zagoria-the-pitinos-are-poised-to-dance-into-history-this-march/

Top Bottom