Where will Richard Pitino move to after his success this year at Minnesota?

Where will Richard Pitino be coaching next year

• NC state

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Florida

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Indiana

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Oregon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 98 90.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't always use the ignore option,
but when I do, it's for idiots like Dwight.

Where Will Pitino most likely move to after his success at Minnesota? :

1. NCState
2. Florida
3. Oklahoma
4. Oregon
5. Indiana
6. USC
7. UCLA
Why do we have to suffer through this type of crap whenever a coach has some success. Cripes we are just off a season he won 8 games! Perhaps with the facilities investment, the quality of life and the ability to recruit quality players he might just stick around and carve out a long career here?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NCState and Oklahoma are the only reasonable possibilities and they are doubtful with next year very VERY bright indeed for our beloved Gophers. Pitino stays a minimum of one more year.

Why do we have to suffer through this type of crap whenever a coach has some success. Cripes we are just off a season he won 8 games! Perhaps with the facilities investment, the quality of life and the ability to recruit quality players he might just stick around and carve out a long career here?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trust me Pitino is the hottest name in coaching right now. He's the PJ Fleck of this NCAA basketball season. Likely to move after the season. Will they let him coach in the NCAA tourney is my real question?

NCState and Oklahoma are the only reasonable possibilities and they are doubtful with next year very VERY bright indeed for our beloved Gophers. Pitino stays a minimum of one more year.

Mick, you never know what vacancies will open up. You might be surprised. And when you are- remember ol' Dwight Schrute's post/poll...

I don't always use the ignore option,
but when I do, it's for idiots like Dwight.

Moonlight...Indiana is starting to climb in the polls. Creen is surely out. Huge Indiana tradition= huge coach hire = a could be Richard Pitino! I still think I like him going to NC State for a bunch of obvious reasons, but you never know.

Dwight trying awful hard with will they let Pitino coach in the NCAA tourney bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight trying awful hard with will they let Pitino coach in the NCAA tourney bit.

Its a very purdent question. We know he's virtually gone after the season ends, what will the higher ups decide? They already don't like Pitino, they might send a message that says "Don't let the door hit you on the way out". Maybe Jim Molinari could come back and take us to the Sweet 16? I don't know. I hope you voted in the poll.

****....he's right. I heard Pitino is going to get Tony Carr and Lamar Stevens to transfer to NC State with him. Oh well.....The Barn still has talent........Brice Jorden Center is going to be a ghost town.

Its a very purdent question. We know he's virtually gone after the season ends, what will the higher ups decide? They already don't like Pitino, they might send a message that says "Don't let the door hit you on the way out". Maybe Jim Molinari could come back and take us to the Sweet 16? I don't know. I hope you voted in the poll.

I give you credit for trying this hard. Maybe you're going for another "I've been censored".

I give you credit for trying this hard. Maybe you're going for another "I've been censored".

Why would this get me censored? This has all been civil, at least out of me. I have not resorted to name calling. I just want to be the one breaking the news and preparing gopher nation for the inevitable. I have a purpose here!

Why would this get me censored? This has all been civil, at least out of me. I have not resorted to name calling. I just want to be the one breaking the news and preparing gopher nation for the inevitable. I have a purpose here!

Yes you most definitely have a purpose.

You aren't breaking news, brokedick.

Minnesota is the BEST JOB IN THE COUNTRY

Fans are desperate for a winner.
When one comes along, they will pack the house. UMn led the country in attendance back in the 70s.

And we love our superstar athletes. And we are pretty decent towards the ones who contribute little to nothing even. We are not a cutthroat kind of place like an Alabama.

Fans who are so used to not winning, they will be very patient, so patient that they'll put up with a coach that only wins 2 games in conference in his 3rd season.

UMn is building a 100 million dollar Athletes Village.

Only Div 1 school in the state

Cool arse city to hang out in for the coach, he and his family can do almost anything they want for fun and entertainment

For players, meaning things you can tell the recruits, its a PRO SPORTS town, this helps the better athletes, we all know these things. And the not so great athletes, well, they are athletes, so you think they don't enjoy the opportunity to go to games? And we Minnesotans all know about the incredible job opportunities in the Twin Cities area.

Then there is the fact that Minnesota is one of the finest academic institutions in the country, even the world.

There is not a single public university in the country that has as many Nobel Prize winners associated with their university, except for Illinois. Unofficially they have the same # as UMn, officially they have 1 less. And I bring up the issue of Nobel winners because one of them was a former Gopher athlete.

And WHEN WE WIN, we send our best players into the Pro leagues, at a rate comparable to the top schools in each of the sports with pro leagues.

UMn has ranked in the Top 20 at putting players into the NFL and the NBA and MLB in those sports ALL-TIME rankings of this, in the very recent past. Unfortunately the fb program's struggles, mostly through the 90s, dropped them in those rankings and they might not be in the Top 20 anymore. Same with the cbb team's ranking. But hockey is #1, putting more into the NHL than other programs with more Frozen Fours and/or Natl Titles than UMn. Same with # sent to the Olympics, UMn is #1 in that regard, and its not even close. Minnesota sends more wrestlers to the Professional leagues than their corresponding # of Natl Titles says they should as well. Same could be said about the VB program.

And outside of sending athletes into the pros, as athletes, we send an inordinate # of former players into the coaching ranks of several sports, especially the big money sports. Minnesota has been more of a Cradle of Coaches in football than THE Cradle of Coaches Miami of Ohio.

OK, yes, I am a diehard Gopher fan, so I am biased.

If you are a coach who only cares about cbb then maybe a one sport only school where cbb rules high above all else would be a better option.
If you are a coach who only cares about cfb then maybe a one sport only school where cfb rules high above all else would be a better option.

Outside of those two scenarios, where would be a better option? Stanford maybe? Lot tougher to get great athletes there with their super high academic requirements. But I'd acknowledge Stanford is a pretty cool school.

Great post Killmenow.

But this presentation has been out there for many years and has been a total dud. The quality athletes are not impressed. At least up to today.

Who knows how Fleck will do and if RP's team can keep the Mo going this season and next.

Moonlight...Indiana is starting to climb in the polls. Creen is surely out. Huge Indiana tradition= huge coach hire = a could be Richard Pitino! I still think I like him going to NC State for a bunch of obvious reasons, but you never know.

What are the "obvious" reasons, because us idiot Gopher fans have no clue what they are?!

I think the NCSU job is probably one of the worst in the country.

Great post Killmenow.

But this presentation has been out there for many years and has been a total dud. The quality athletes are not impressed. At least up to today.

Who knows how Fleck will do and if RP's team can keep the Mo going this season and next.

This "presentation" isn't directed towards recruits. I was talking about how good THE JOB is, for the coaches.

It's HOW we got PJ Fleck, and its why we are going to be able to keep Pitino.

Because for the recruits, THE most important aspect of a school, is the coach. Now that we got the coaches, now all that is in that presentation will start to work for the coaches.

This "presentation" isn't directed towards recruits. I was talking about how good THE JOB is, for the coaches.

It's HOW we got PJ Fleck, and its why we are going to be able to keep Pitino.

Because for the recruits, THE most important aspect of a school, is the coach. Now that we got the coaches, now all that is in that presentation will start to work for the coaches.

I would argue the most important item to get good recruits is winning perennially. I would then argue the biggest factor in winning perennially is a good athletic administration above the coaching level. MN has traditionally been very very weak in this department. Maybe things are changing, hard to say? I will believe it when I see it. And this is a big reason I could see Pitino leaving. The Administration has mishandled Pitino over and over again. Why should he have loyalty?

I would argue the most important item to get good recruits is winning perennially. I would then argue the biggest factor in winning perennially is a good athletic administration above the coaching level. MN has traditionally been very very weak in this department. Maybe things are changing, hard to say? I will believe it when I see it. And this is a big reason I could see Pitino leaving. The Administration has mishandled Pitino over and over again. Why should he have loyalty?

You obviously have no loyalty.

Hi Panther Hawk.

It wouldn't have to be about loyalty. It would have to do with what is best for him. He could be selfish as hell, and that would help us. Because his being selfish will keep him here. Why on earth would he turn this team he's put together over to someone else so that someone else could benefit from his hard work?

Winning perennially didn't help Michigan those years they were struggling in the BIG in football. A new coach instantly transformed them though.

All I am saying

Just so you know...I said Pitino can coach when we won 8 games last year and everyone wanted him fired, saying he couldn't coach. I said there was a good chance we'd win 20 this year So, that was my stance last year at this time. Obviously, I want him to be our coach. The future, indeed does look even brighter now!
Now, my fear is not that Pitino is looking to move on. Now would not be the time because we will get even better! BUT, how appreciated by his bosses does he feel? Kaler roasted him at a football press conference out of the blue...unnecessary and short sighted in multiple ways. You don't forget those things. How secure does he feel? Coyle, fires a football coach who went 9 and 4 after telling him in November he was coming back. You can make excuses and assess blame to Tracy but there are pretty similar circumstances to Richard. (I realize they are not identical) You can argue that Tracy is gone because Coyle wanted his own guy. I promise this didn't go unnoticed by Pitino and other U of M coaches. Maybe Coyle didn't like Tracy's look, energy, comments or offense...whatever the reason he wanted his own guy. If you are Pitino and you have even lateral opportunities...to me that's why you would listen to opportunities. That's why you might leave before your vision was accomplished with the future bright.
I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I have heard zero from Coyle or Kaler about the basketball season to date. Nothing is guaranteed, if I'm a coach and my team has gotten to this point I'd like some support, praise now or last week...not after it's even more obvious we accomplished a great season. Best season in whatever it is, 10-15 years, should of had some PUBLIC administration love comments before now.

So, obviously, I hope he stays but the comfort level you have with who you work for as a coach is really important!!! You have to be able to trust your boss implicitly! You are coaching kids, there will be adversity in the media. It's 2017. Is it escalated by administration or squashed? Does administration support you or bad mouth you even in firing you? Pitino knows Tracy is a good man. Football got escalated and careers derailed. You can't ignore that as a coach and family man.

Louisville of course, when daddy retires...

Just so you know...I said Pitino can coach when we won 8 games last year and everyone wanted him fired, saying he couldn't coach. I said there was a good chance we'd win 20 this year So, that was my stance last year at this time. Obviously, I want him to be our coach. The future, indeed does look even brighter now!
Now, my fear is not that Pitino is looking to move on. Now would not be the time because we will get even better! BUT, how appreciated by his bosses does he feel? Kaler roasted him at a football press conference out of the blue...unnecessary and short sighted in multiple ways. You don't forget those things. How secure does he feel? Coyle, fires a football coach who went 9 and 4 after telling him in November he was coming back. You can make excuses and assess blame to Tracy but there are pretty similar circumstances to Richard. (I realize they are not identical) You can argue that Tracy is gone because Coyle wanted his own guy. I promise this didn't go unnoticed by Pitino and other U of M coaches. Maybe Coyle didn't like Tracy's look, energy, comments or offense...whatever the reason he wanted his own guy. If you are Pitino and you have even lateral opportunities...to me that's why you would listen to opportunities. That's why you might leave before your vision was accomplished with the future bright.
I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I have heard zero from Coyle or Kaler about the basketball season to date. Nothing is guaranteed, if I'm a coach and my team has gotten to this point I'd like some support, praise now or last week...not after it's even more obvious we accomplished a great season. Best season in whatever it is, 10-15 years, should of had some PUBLIC administration love comments before now.

So, obviously, I hope he stays but the comfort level you have with who you work for as a coach is really important!!! You have to be able to trust your boss implicitly! You are coaching kids, there will be adversity in the media. It's 2017. Is it escalated by administration or squashed? Does administration support you or bad mouth you even in firing you? Pitino knows Tracy is a good man. Football got escalated and careers derailed. You can't ignore that as a coach and family man.

Great Post, someone forward this to the Adminitards please...

Why would he leave? His next big recruit beyond Oturu will define him. Tyus? Race? Hurt in two? If so, this program is ripe to turn. In addition, the Barn cannot hit the century mark. (2028) Next run buys a new facility. It's outdated and has become a major burden, although I do love it. Play at the Target Center for two years and then roll in the dough.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In a recent interview, Pitino said he has a great relationship with Coyle and talks with him several times per day. I don't get the impression he's a big Kaler fan, however.

I realize a lot of Gopher fans thought that TC was a nice guy and that he may have gotten a raw deal? But he was NOT going to lead us to the promised land, and the University of Minnesota is not a charity, its a business. Keeping him would have been bad for business.

Maybe Pitino has had a strained relationship with Kaler and Coyle? I don't know? But winning heals a lot of wounds, and a 6 game winning streak doesn't guarantee anything. So maybe they are waiting for post season wins to be delivered before they start praising him publicly? I don't know? But Pitino is winning over the fans, and he's obviously won over the players, and with continued winning, I'm sure the administration will be won over as well, and if he does well enough, it may get to the point where the Administration is required to kiss his arse if they want to keep their jobs?! Wouldn't that be a great thing to happen? To a point, I mean. Not to the point that he abuses his position and level of influence, but it would be nice if our school became a place that truly appreciated its football and basketball and took good care of those sports, knowing how their success helps everyone, all the other sports and all the fans, etc..

You combine what he has coming into the program, with the new Facilities he and his players will be able to enjoy, and how much of a blessing being in the B1G is right now, he can literally take over the conference and own it for a long time if things work out and we don't suffer any bad luck. I believe that he'd be willing to put up with some negatives, if they exist, such as maybe not the best relationship with the administration.

And like I said, winning heals a lot of wounds.

Word is that Coyle loves Pitino and that they get along very well. Kaler did go too far on his comments, but remember that Pitino was the first to criticize the performance of his team. Richard and his dad both commented about the potential to make Minnesota a great program back when he took the job. Pitino has grown as a coach and now seems to be on track with recruiting. He just talked about how the new facilities will help him take another step forward in recruiting great players. He is not going anywhere, he wants to create his own program and become Minnesota's Izo! Just like PJ, they don't want to just be another coach at an established program, they want to build their own programs.

I have been a Pitino-bo bo all along. Last year when the sky was falling, I predicted that they would make the tournament this year and the team will be in the 20+ wins range just about every year for the next 20+ years of the Pitino era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nowhere. NC is not going to offer him the job. They want Archie Miller. No change at Florida, are you ok for asking. Same at OREGON,USC AND UCLA. They are not making changes and he would not be on their list. Indiana has already gone hard after Bennett before Crean and now want to offer 5 million per in a attempt to get him and that will not be enough, no amount would be. I may not know much but my firm has handled the representation for 75 D1 coaches and so we are plugged in very heavily into AD's and the money. To move into that big time hire he would have to rock out a 16-2 type conference record next year and at least a sweet 16. I think he will get the sweet 16 this year but that conference record look bad and how he went about his early business on and off the court is part of the body of work that better programs look at. Wish no one would post about him leaving because it is possible to see if he can build a Bo Ryan type program at Minnesota and have that as his legacy.

Not the word, it is a fact. Pitino just needs to win and only have high character guys in the program because they are not taking the risky guys again and that has been discussed. FYI, if he gets one fifth of what Izzo got done they would build a statue for him. Look at NCST, they go to the tourney 4 times in 6 years and Gott gets fired ! Minnesota is a very good job.

Top Bottom