Where will Richard Pitino move to after his success this year at Minnesota?

Where will Richard Pitino be coaching next year

• NC state

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Florida

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Indiana

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Oregon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 98 90.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unlike football, MN does produce enough D1 BB athletes to compete a very high level. Mn can compete on salary, perks, facilities and cold weather don't matter as much cuz they play indoors.

MN can easily be the next MSU in the Big Ten with many final fours and national championships...why leave when you can retire from MN a legend in your own right and make millions upon millions while doing it...

You think it can be done easily ? Wow, MSU was a major player before IZZO and then what he got done was incredible and reliant on a historic level of work and acumen. What UW has done is extraordinary and it took legendary coaching. It can be done here but not easily. You have to have support from the top, huge boosters, great facilities and a great coach. No wonder it is so difficult.

There's a better chance that Schrute gets to touch his first boob this year than any of the Pitino scenarios he laid out. Don't get me wrong, I don't think either or any are going to happen, but if I had to bet.....

There's a better chance that Schrute gets to touch his first boob this year than any of the Pitino scenarios he laid out. Don't get me wrong, I don't think either or any are going to happen, but if I had to bet.....

Clean it up woodbury Tim...Come on now! Did you vote in my poll.

I voted Oklahoma......because.....why not?

Just so you know...I said Pitino can coach when we won 8 games last year and everyone wanted him fired, saying he couldn't coach. I said there was a good chance we'd win 20 this year So, that was my stance last year at this time. Obviously, I want him to be our coach. The future, indeed does look even brighter now!
Now, my fear is not that Pitino is looking to move on. Now would not be the time because we will get even better! BUT, how appreciated by his bosses does he feel? Kaler roasted him at a football press conference out of the blue...unnecessary and short sighted in multiple ways. You don't forget those things. How secure does he feel? Coyle, fires a football coach who went 9 and 4 after telling him in November he was coming back. You can make excuses and assess blame to Tracy but there are pretty similar circumstances to Richard. (I realize they are not identical) You can argue that Tracy is gone because Coyle wanted his own guy. I promise this didn't go unnoticed by Pitino and other U of M coaches. Maybe Coyle didn't like Tracy's look, energy, comments or offense...whatever the reason he wanted his own guy. If you are Pitino and you have even lateral opportunities...to me that's why you would listen to opportunities. That's why you might leave before your vision was accomplished with the future bright.
I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I have heard zero from Coyle or Kaler about the basketball season to date. Nothing is guaranteed, if I'm a coach and my team has gotten to this point I'd like some support, praise now or last week...not after it's even more obvious we accomplished a great season. Best season in whatever it is, 10-15 years, should of had some PUBLIC administration love comments before now.

So, obviously, I hope he stays but the comfort level you have with who you work for as a coach is really important!!! You have to be able to trust your boss implicitly! You are coaching kids, there will be adversity in the media. It's 2017. Is it escalated by administration or squashed? Does administration support you or bad mouth you even in firing you? Pitino knows Tracy is a good man. Football got escalated and careers derailed. You can't ignore that as a coach and family man.

Well said 60s guy! I have the same feeling. And now the North Carolina State Rumors are popping up all over the place and it makes me wonder if Pitino might be saying a long goodbye to Minnesota? Perhaps he wanted to be seen with the North Carolina State admin yesterday if that did indeed happen, I don't know- so we will expect it when he bolts for a better program in a month.

Well said 60s guy! I have the same feeling. And now the North Carolina State Rumors are popping up all over the place and it makes me wonder if Pitino might be saying a long goodbye to Minnesota? Perhaps he wanted to be seen with the North Carolina State admin yesterday if that did indeed happen, I don't know- so we will expect it when he bolts for a better program in a month.

Considering there's exactly ZERO mention of this rumor outside of your head in the media I think u need to take your meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's true that the NC State rumors are popping up all over the place, I expect that you can supply some links. When I searched, all I found was the link to this thread.

The only recent article mentioning Pitino is this SI article which suggests he could be a possible candidate for the USF job, but the author totally destroyed his credibility by calling that a lateral move.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/23/nc-state-indiana-coaching-carousel

I feel like this is a social experiment to see how many people he can get to vote in a poll that was only started to try to bring us all off of the high of watching the most successful gopher team in recent memory.

Unlike football, MN does produce enough D1 BB athletes to compete a very high level. Mn can compete on salary, perks, facilities and cold weather don't matter as much cuz they play indoors.

MN can easily be the next MSU in the Big Ten with many final fours and national championships...why leave when you can retire from MN a legend in your own right and make millions upon millions while doing it...

Yeah, what he said. MN is not as bad a job as it once was.

You think it can be done easily ? Wow, MSU was a major player before IZZO and then what he got done was incredible and reliant on a historic level of work and acumen. What UW has done is extraordinary and it took legendary coaching. It can be done here but not easily. You have to have support from the top, huge boosters, great facilities and a great coach. No wonder it is so difficult.

Of course it isn't easily done, but a great coach can do it here! If you can recruit and coach to win the B1G then you are at the top of the college basketball world! Weather is not really that much of an issue in BB because a lot of good player come from northern cities and they are not afraid of snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel like this is a social experiment to see how many people he can get to vote in a poll that was only started to try to bring us all off of the high of watching the most successful gopher team in recent memory.

This is absolutely what it is. Guy just wants to get people pissed off because apparently that is fun for him. He lost all credibility with me when he tried to imply that Pitino would actually meet with admins from another school while on a team road trip during the season. Doing that would be about the dumbest thing any coach could do and they wouldn't do it because they wouldn't want the info out that they are actively seeking another job while still employed at their current school.

Plus I am thinking someone like GL or someone actually plugged in to the program would have something instead of some random internet poster that just feels the need for attention.

I voted Florida. They are 23-5 and have a 9-game winning streak. So they'll totally be in the market for a new coach.

I voted Florida. They are 23-5 and have a 9-game winning streak. So they'll totally be in the market for a new coach.

Well if Dwight listed them they must be a viable landing spot for him. Chances are Pitino has already had meetings with them in the locker room at halftime with his team standing there.

considering his next class and the fact that we will have 2 maybe 3, 5 star players from the state the following year, this could be the start of something special. Why leave that?

considering his next class and the fact that we will have 2 maybe 3, 5 star players from the state the following year, this could be the start of something special. Why leave that?

DWIGHT HAS SOURCES!!! DON'T YOU GET IT?????
SAD.

It could happen but I doubt it, it would have to be a top tier job, within conference switch like Indiana is highly unlikely, the one I would look out for is Syracuse, it sounds like that job will be opening.

My favorite part of this is him saying one of the reasons NC State is better is because they've had a 30 for 30 done on them.....

Look out Alabama football....SMU is coming for your staff!

It could happen but I doubt it, it would have to be a top tier job, within conference switch like Indiana is highly unlikely, the one I would look out for is Syracuse, it sounds like that job will be opening.

Hasn't Syracuse already named Hopkins as the next coach?

Hasn't Syracuse already named Hopkins as the next coach?

Is that a firm commitment, if so I just don't see Pitino leaving for any of the other current openings, it would have to be something on the Syracuse level.

Why? I'm being honest here, and totally logical. Why would he want to leave Minnesota?

What coaching position out there has a bigger upset than Minnesota, while having such a small downside???

I don't care if Syracuse came begging, or Louisville, or UCLA, or Kentucky, or Florida, or Texas, or Indiana, or MSU, or UNC or Duke.

The upside at those places are there, obviously, those are some of the best cbb programs in the country.

But the upside at those places is not even close to guaranteed, and it may take another building process, even at the places with good athletes on their rosters, because of issues like egos, chemistry, one and doners, style of play, etc..

And the downside at EVERY SINGLE ONE of those places is HUGE compared to Minnesota.

Pitino has the best job in all of cbb RIGHT NOW.

Great recruits coming up locally, great young talent all in place already, ALL of whom he recruited. Brand new 100 million dollar facility almost completed, best conference to be in because of the BTN, the great academics, and the conference's tradition and history even, but maybe most importantly, the weakness of the conference at this present time means a program like Minnesota could simply take over, could become the next Wisconsin/MSU of the conference, for the next 20 years, if not longer?!

REMEMBER, Minnesota once led the nation in cbb attendance. The fans are out there, simply waiting for a winner to come along. Maybe our Arena's capacity won't allow us to lead the nation in attendance right now, but its still a classic Arena, and if Pitino brings us a Final Four or a Natl Title, then watch a new CBB Arena be the next big building project, with a much larger capacity.

And what Minnesota and the B1G conference offers Pitino that no other school does, is HIS OWN LEGACY, even LEGENDARY STATUS. Why would he want to take over for his father and step into his father's shadow? The ACC would be a tough place for a new coach to establish himself. Why would he want to take over any other ACC program and compete against his father? Why would he go somewhere where the pressure to win is far greater and the fans are far less patient?

And money can't be an issue, if he succeeds here, he'll get paid well.

If he goes to some blue blood school and does well, he'll just be another in a long line of great coaches. And it will be the university that looks good, as much as he will. Here at Minnesota, as unfair as it would be to Minnesota, HE, Pitino, would look like 100% of the reason he succeeded.

And he'll have a head start on Fleck, so he could become the Big Man on campus and the pressure would be on Fleck to match Pitino's success.

My guess is Pitino will be on his 3rd or 4th Big Ten title by the time Fleck wins his first. Now I hope I'm wrong about that, and not because of Pitino coming up short of my expectations.

Why? I'm being honest here, and totally logical. Why would he want to leave Minnesota?

Also being honest... the only thing that I think might derail a Ryan- or Izzo-type run here for Pitino is the administration.

The media (have a down year and they will be jackals) and the weather (hypothetical spouse input) would tie as second.

He is not going ANYWHERE for at least 2 years. I predict we get a 5 star next year and really make some noise in the B1G.

Because having the 11th best job in the ACC and the 4th best job in the state of NC has always been Richard's dream!

Also being honest... the only thing that I think might derail a Ryan- or Izzo-type run here for Pitino is the administration.

The media (have a down year and they will be jackals) and the weather (hypothetical spouse input) would tie as second.

Those are logical and reasonable points Barnboy. And about the only ones that I'd agree with, except the media one. I don't think our press is all that much different than the press at any place he'd consider going to. Expectations are extremely high at all or most of those places(can't be all because no way NCSU can have too high of expectations, right?), and so the press in those places probably would be very critical of young Mr. Pitino unless he was doing everything perfectly. And even if our press is worse, still don't think that would be enough of a reason to leave such a great situation.

And with enough money, Minnesota can be an enjoyable place for anyone, even during the winter. So I can't believe that weather all by itself could be enough to make a wife or kids demand the family move, especially if daddy/husband is happy with is job. Combine the weather issue with the media issue, AND the admin issue and the combination of the 3 could be enough reason to want to leave.

All by itself, the administration issue is the only one I think could be bad enough to drive him to another job. Let's pray the administration doesn't screw this up for us.

Top Bottom