Where will Richard Pitino move to after his success this year at Minnesota?

Where will Richard Pitino be coaching next year

• NC state

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Florida

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Indiana

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Oregon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 98 90.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nowhere. NC is not going to offer him the job. They want Archie Miller. No change at Florida, are you ok for asking. Same at OREGON,USC AND UCLA. They are not making changes and he would not be on their list. Indiana has already gone hard after Bennett before Crean and now want to offer 5 million per in a attempt to get him and that will not be enough, no amount would be. I may not know much but my firm has handled the representation for 75 D1 coaches and so we are plugged in very heavily into AD's and the money. To move into that big time hire he would have to rock out a 16-2 type conference record next year and at least a sweet 16. I think he will get the sweet 16 this year but that conference record look bad and how he went about his early business on and off the court is part of the body of work that better programs look at. Wish no one would post about him leaving because it is possible to see if he can build a Bo Ryan type program at Minnesota and have that as his legacy.

I have to hand it to you. You have a real commitment to the bit. It's really weird to continue to pretend that you're some plugged-in insider. It's also really weird to textually fellate Tony Bennett at every opportunity on a Gophers message board. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

I have to hand it to you. You have a real commitment to the bit. It's really weird to continue to pretend that you're some plugged-in insider. It's also really weird to textually fellate Tony Bennett at every opportunity on a Gophers message board. But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Ah, lay off him. Watching how he will work Tony Bennett into any discussion is a fascinating quirk of this board. It's the Aggie Vision of the basketball board. Lighten up.

Its doubtful Pitino stays here *forever* considering the success he's had thus far, and likely will continue to have next season. This year's squad is a 2nd weekend team, and next year's could easily be conference champion/final four.

If Coyle cannot extend Pitino, he needs to strike while the iron is hot with donors to improve the foundation of the program; there needs to be a plan in short order to renovate Williams Arena and make it the envy of the conference and country.

Funny just a few months ago Richard was coaching to save his job. Now we have him leaving for what some feel are better programs at the end of the year. One could argue a big ten gig is a top job. One could argue that turning a program into a consistent big ten winner and national contender could happen here and this is a great job. Bo Ryan thought so when he took lowly Wisconsin over. Minnesota is a great job. How will others believe it if the fans don't?

Think what you want. Insider to what ? My life profession is representing coaches so i simply find it great humor when so many think Coach Pitino is being sought for really big jobs. Bennett is not even someone we have ever represented but i know what all his peers think of him and anyone who knows basketball thinks very highly of him. Your best insight is to put someone else down. The one you mock contributes much to the program you love. Reminds me of so many Viking fans who just have so much bitterness over never winning the big one or hates the Badgers for all they have accomplished. Why so much anger ? I am at the games supporting your team, writing a substantial annual gift but not afraid to see excellence elsewhere and seek the truth on all issues including disappointments and victories. In my 76 years of life that has served me well as a athlete, student, scout,doctor, lawyer, husband,father and grandfather. Why be so disrespectful.

Nah - he'll be here next season and even longer.

He's got new facilities and is starting to recruit to the next level.

I'd say sign him to a lucrative multi-year contract now with a high buyout. I've never seen the fans get this excited at the Barn in a long time.

The important thing is how Mrs. Pitino and the kids like it here now that they are acclimated. Isn't Minnesota a State where people come in and not leave?

Who knows.

I am sorry Big Ten coaches don't leave for other jobs! It doesn't happen never has never will.

Pitino will be around a long time! Get used to it.

This is typical Minnesota paranoia. It's a no-win scenario, we either get a coach that nobody wants or a coach that succeeds and everybody wants. The same thing has been discussed on the football board: "when PJ Fleck has success, how long will he stay at Minnesota?" All this before he has even coached his first game. Why is Minnesota such a bad place to coach? Answer: it isn't! It's a major metropolitan area, BIG10 Conference, only D-1 school in the state, a great new facility being constructed and one of the best "classic" venues for college basketball in the country. Why don't we just relax and enjoy the success the team is having this year. The U will take care of keeping our Coach.

Well if Dwight listed them they must be a viable landing spot for him. Chances are Pitino has already had meetings with them in the locker room at halftime with his team standing there.

You are catching on! My sources can be very solid at times!

My favorite part of this is him saying one of the reasons NC State is better is because they've had a 30 for 30 done on them.....

Look out Alabama football....SMU is coming for your staff!

Ya but the 30 for 30 was on a miracle season and a great program under Jimmy V. A truly great sports story. SMU not so much...

Why? I'm being honest here, and totally logical. Why would he want to leave Minnesota?

What coaching position out there has a bigger upset than Minnesota, while having such a small downside???

I don't care if Syracuse came begging, or Louisville, or UCLA, or Kentucky, or Florida, or Texas, or Indiana, or MSU, or UNC or Duke.

The upside at those places are there, obviously, those are some of the best cbb programs in the country.

But the upside at those places is not even close to guaranteed, and it may take another building process, even at the places with good athletes on their rosters, because of issues like egos, chemistry, one and doners, style of play, etc..

And the downside at EVERY SINGLE ONE of those places is HUGE compared to Minnesota.

Pitino has the best job in all of cbb RIGHT NOW.

Great recruits coming up locally, great young talent all in place already, ALL of whom he recruited. Brand new 100 million dollar facility almost completed, best conference to be in because of the BTN, the great academics, and the conference's tradition and history even, but maybe most importantly, the weakness of the conference at this present time means a program like Minnesota could simply take over, could become the next Wisconsin/MSU of the conference, for the next 20 years, if not longer?!

REMEMBER, Minnesota once led the nation in cbb attendance. The fans are out there, simply waiting for a winner to come along. Maybe our Arena's capacity won't allow us to lead the nation in attendance right now, but its still a classic Arena, and if Pitino brings us a Final Four or a Natl Title, then watch a new CBB Arena be the next big building project, with a much larger capacity.

And what Minnesota and the B1G conference offers Pitino that no other school does, is HIS OWN LEGACY, even LEGENDARY STATUS. Why would he want to take over for his father and step into his father's shadow? The ACC would be a tough place for a new coach to establish himself. Why would he want to take over any other ACC program and compete against his father? Why would he go somewhere where the pressure to win is far greater and the fans are far less patient?

And money can't be an issue, if he succeeds here, he'll get paid well.

If he goes to some blue blood school and does well, he'll just be another in a long line of great coaches. And it will be the university that looks good, as much as he will. Here at Minnesota, as unfair as it would be to Minnesota, HE, Pitino, would look like 100% of the reason he succeeded.

And he'll have a head start on Fleck, so he could become the Big Man on campus and the pressure would be on Fleck to match Pitino's success.

My guess is Pitino will be on his 3rd or 4th Big Ten title by the time Fleck wins his first. Now I hope I'm wrong about that, and not because of Pitino coming up short of my expectations.

LOU HOLTZ - Has I written this when Holtz was here you would have said the same thing....and he left

We do need to renovate the Barn, can't build a new stadium because the elevated floor is an awesome home court advantage.

LOU HOLTZ - Has I written this when Holtz was here you would have said the same thing....and he left

There are a few differences between the Lou Holtz situation and the Rick Pitino situation. First of all, the admin and the facilities weren't as good as they are now back when Holtz came around. Secondly, Holtz had a Notre Dame clause written into his contract. So I may have said, why would he go somewhere else? Unless Notre Dame opens up of course. Had a rumor started up that Holtz was thinking of leaving Minnesota to coach Wisconsin, then for sure I would have questioned it and doubted the rumor.

Does Pitino have a UL clause in his contract?

Lou Holtz leaving for his dream job at Notre Dame is a FAR different situation than Pitino leaving for (lol) NC State.

Nah - he'll be here next season and even longer.

He's got new facilities and is starting to recruit to the next level.

I'd say sign him to a lucrative multi-year contract now with a high buyout. I've never seen the fans get this excited at the Barn in a long time.

The important thing is how Mrs. Pitino and the kids like it here now that they are acclimated. Isn't Minnesota a State where people come in and not leave?

Who knows.

Look at the history of successful big ten coaches - most stay until something bad happens - the only big ten coach that I can remember leaving a team with success is Self ( Kansas is one of the few dream jobs) Lute Olsen left for reasons I don't understand to create Arizona into a dream job. - big ten coaches don't really leave unless forced out historically - Patino is a a very good position now and could turn the program into a perennial winner he has a young family and I think he would crave some job security after last year.

There are a few differences between the Lou Holtz situation and the Rick Pitino situation. First of all, the admin and the facilities weren't as good as they are now back when Holtz came around. Secondly, Holtz had a Notre Dame clause written into his contract. So I may have said, why would he go somewhere else? Unless Notre Dame opens up of course. Had a rumor started up that Holtz was thinking of leaving Minnesota to coach Wisconsin, then for sure I would have questioned it and doubted the rumor.

Does Pitino have a UL clause in his contract?

Im not sure. But coaches leave mid-tier programs all the time. MN is not elite nationally much less the big 10 (Yet anyway). The way the admin (IE Koler) have treated Pitino, it would not surprise me at all if this rumor was true.

You are catching on! My sources can be very solid at times!

Yep....broken clock is right twice a day....blind squirrel finds a nut.....

You got your wish...posted a phony poll based on completely made up info and got lots of people worked up. Congrats.

I will never say a coach won't leave if someone throws a ton of money at them and they feel the situation is better but there is no chance he is actively negotiating for his next job, in person, during the season and any "source" of yours that says that is what is going on is an idiot. Although if you are willing to believe something like that....my sources say there is some awesome ocean front property in Arizona available...you should look into getting some.

This is typical Minnesota paranoia. It's a no-win scenario, we either get a coach that nobody wants or a coach that succeeds and everybody wants. The same thing has been discussed on the football board: "when PJ Fleck has success, how long will he stay at Minnesota?" All this before he has even coached his first game. Why is Minnesota such a bad place to coach? Answer: it isn't! It's a major metropolitan area, BIG10 Conference, only D-1 school in the state, a great new facility being constructed and one of the best "classic" venues for college basketball in the country. Why don't we just relax and enjoy the success the team is having this year. The U will take care of keeping our Coach.

I agree with you about everything you wrote go4rob, but the only thing I might disagree with about is the source of the "typical Minnesota paranoia". There is a reason for it, and maybe even a good reason. Gopher fans know that the administration has been at best, neutral about fb and bb, at worst they've been anti-fb and bb. And yes the admin has now gotten us a new football stadium, and they started paying Kill and his staff decent wages, and they got us the new Athletes Village, but here is where things get fuzzy. The admin boots Tubby, and they boot TC, BOTH moves which make ME a happy camper. I like that they had the guts to get rid of "nice guys" who were doing ok jobs, so that they could hire guys with far more potential to lead us to the promised land.

But...

But Minnesotans are too nice, they can't handle the idea of nice guys who did ok jobs being fired. They forget how much money those coaches got paid, and how much money is truly involved, and how many people are negatively affected by being happy with mediocrity. So they see those firings, and think negatively about the people who were influential in getting those men fired, instead of seeing those people who were influential in getting those men fired as possibly getting on board with the whole idea of NOT accepting mediocrity anymore.

What I SEE, me personally, or what I HOPE is going on, is that our administration had seen the light, or has at least started to see the light, and is doing what they feel necessary to make the U a fb and bb powerhouse down the line and for decades to come.

My guess is the next couple couple of things that will or could happen at the U, will be

#1 - a long term contract for Pitino
#2 - a long term contract for Fleck, IF he does something similar to what Pitino has done, improved recruiting, made his players better each year
#3 - either a long term contract for Lucia, if his hockey team starts making fans happy, or he'll get fired and one of the best coaches out there, or a coach with similar potential as Fleck and Pitino will be brought in.
#4 - renovations to Williams Arena OR, a donation drive will be started to bring in money for a new top of the line College BB Arena.
#5 - talk about raising funds for expanding the football stadium.

#1 could happen this year, or next year, a lot will depend on how they do in the Big Dance this year. Beating up on a weak B1G conf is one thing, doing well in the Big Dance is a whole other matter.

#2 would happen in about 2-4 years, depending on quickly Fleck can work his magic.

#3 could happen after this year, we all hope. Because it won't happen unless and until Lucia leads the Gophers to another Natl Title. Maybe a Frozen Four? But I hope that is not enough, maybe to keep his job, but not for an extension and a raise.

#4 could happen as soon as the end of this season, it would be unlikely to happen that soon, but it could if Pitino gets this bb squad to the Elite 8 or Final Four. Sweet 16 will just get #1 to happen. If he doesn't do well in the tourney this year, then we all hope it happens after the conclusion of next season, but that would only be if he gets them to at least the Elite 8, but probably only if he gets em to the Final Four. It's possible this one will take longer than this season or this season and next season? People may need to see that its not a repeat of the Clem Haskins hire, where he got one group to come in and do well, but then struggled to repeat that success for the next 6 years before his resorting to cheating helped him get to the Final Four. He may have to show that he can simply reload vs needing to rebuild before this one happens. But I'm excited about this whole thing.

#5 will need at least a Big Ten Western Division Title to be won first, before it even gets considered. It might take a Big Ten Title, or a cfb playoff appearance? It might take a Natl Title? It's been a long time since the people of the state of Minnesota felt a burning desire to see the Gophers live and in the stadium, so I'm just not sure how much success it will take to get interest high enough to start thinking about expansion, my guess is it will take a couple Big Ten West Division Titles, and a reasonable chance of victory in the Conference Title game, OR at least one Conference Title before the interest level gets high enough. Unless Fleck somehow gets the fb team to the Conf Title game in his first year, that could be enough of a jolt to wake up the throngs of bandwagon fans?!

That's from the SI article already posted here, but you already knew that.

There no way he's going to a last place SFU program currently being probed for academic violations. Nice try.

Coyle will probably try to lock him up soon, because the next 2-3 years at a minimum look really good on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's from the SI article already posted here, but you already knew that.

There no way he's going to a last place SFU program currently being probed for academic violations. Nice try.

Coyle will probably try to lock him up soon, because the next 2-3 years at a minimum look really good on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not see this next rumor posted already. I agree that one is not as promising or likely as NC State. But money talks, so you never know!

Ya but the 30 for 30 was on a miracle season and a great program under Jimmy V. A truly great sports story. SMU not so much...

Holy sh!t! A 30 for 30? Whoa...

Valvano hasn't been at NC State for almost 30 years. They have missed the tournament more than they have made it since then. And haven't made it past the sweet 16. If Pitino leaves, I think it will be for a blue blood program. Not a has-been program like NC State. I think he builds his resume and waits for a top 10 job to open up. Probably Kentucky or Louisville.

Im not sure. But coaches leave mid-tier programs all the time. MN is not elite nationally much less the big 10 (Yet anyway). The way the admin (IE Koler) have treated Pitino, it would not surprise me at all if this rumor was true.

Minnesota is not mid-tier, not in the B1G, and not even Nationally. And why is that? Two reasons. Current athletic success and POTENTIAL for future success.

First I'll address the current successes

Minnesota has what? Over a dozen sports programs ranked in the Top 25 right now!

Top 5 programs include Women's VB, Men's Hockey, Women's Hockey, Men's Gymnastics. Oh, and the Cheer Program - #1 program of all-time.
Top 10 programs include Women's Soccer and most likely Women's Softball, and Men's Wrestling is close.
other Top 25 programs include Women's Gymnastics, Men's & Women's Swimming and Diving, Men's Tennis and probably Men's BB.
Also getting votes are the Baseball team and the Football team.

That's 15 total.

Looking over the Sears Director's Cup End of Season Final Rankings over the entire history of the Cup Standings, Minnesota ranks among the Top 25 of all-time.

The University of Minnesota sports programs have produced right around THIRTY National Championships in the 21st Century. The Cheer program has won so many that I simply lose count, lol. But I think they have 18? The Women's Hockey team has 7. The Men's Hockey team has 2. The Wrestling team has 3. The Men's Golf team has 1. The Women's VB team has FIVE trips to the Final Four in the 21st Century.

The University of Minnesota recently became the only school in history to have former players working as Head Coaches/Managers of teams in ALL FOUR of the Major League sports.

If you combine the money being made by former Gophers in the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, WNBA, NWHL, CWHL, the PGA and with Professional Wrestling and Fighting, it probably ranks among the Top Ten in the nation at producing money making athletes.

The University of Minnesota was THE ONLY school in the country that ranked in the Top 20 at producing NHL, NFL, MLB & NBA players at the same time and they held this distinction since the NBA started in 1949 and then again once the first couple college players first started getting brought into the NHL and this status continued all the way into the 21st Century. And with the right guys coaching our fb and bb teams, Minnesota can regain that status, as long as we don't drop the ball when Anderson finally retires from coaching the baseball team.

Now the potential.

With the fairly new outdoor Football Stadium, and the New Athletes Village going up, and the fact that UMn once led the nation in college bb attendance, and the bb program very recently was also ranked as one of the Top 20 best financially valued programs in the country, and with the struggles of the Vikings and the Timberwolves, and all of the very wealthy Alumni out there, and the exposure that the BTN gives athletes, all the U needs now is for a coach to come along and get our fb and bb teams to start winning games and the throngs of bandwagon fans will jump aboard in very large numbers and then finding money to support Gopher athletics won't be a problem anymore.

And Pitino seems to be the answer for the BB program. He could become an absolute legend here, displacing the likes of even Bud Grant and Murray Williamson. He could join the ranks of the likes of Bernie Bierman and Herb Brooks!!!

As for Fleck? Well, we will just have to wait and see.

I agree, if Pitino keeps recruiting like he has and he stays then MN could be talked about with the blue bloods.

I agree, if Pitino keeps recruiting like he has and he stays then MN could be talked about with the blue bloods.

I hesitate to even post in this thread and keep feeding the troll, but there are maybe a dozen programs that would be a significant step up prestige wise.

To break it down, the possible teams would have to be in the ACC or PAC10.
Of those it would have to be in the top half historical wise. NC State is not that job. NC State has countless colleges around it, not to mention they are the red-headed step child next to Duke and NC.

Pitino might go somewhere, but at this point it would have to be because he doesn't see eye to eye with Coyle or because the money is outrageously different.

If he does leave, we'll land a very good coach.

Holy smokes, thanks for the compilation of information KillMeNow, appreciated!

....Now the potential. With the fairly new outdoor Football Stadium said:
How about starting a new thread on this great subject...instead of feeding the dill-hole troll who started this thread. Please!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Even if Pitino leaves at some point it won't be at least until after next season. No coach is going to leave behind a team that could win a B1G title and make a deep NCAA tournament run. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Minnesota is not mid-tier, not in the B1G, and not even Nationally. And why is that? Two reasons. Current athletic success and POTENTIAL for future success.

First I'll address the current successes

Minnesota has what? Over a dozen sports programs ranked in the Top 25 right now!

Top 5 programs include Women's VB, Men's Hockey, Women's Hockey, Men's Gymnastics. Oh, and the Cheer Program - #1 program of all-time.
Top 10 programs include Women's Soccer and most likely Women's Softball, and Men's Wrestling is close.
other Top 25 programs include Women's Gymnastics, Men's & Women's Swimming and Diving, Men's Tennis and probably Men's BB.
Also getting votes are the Baseball team and the Football team.

That's 15 total.

Looking over the Sears Director's Cup End of Season Final Rankings over the entire history of the Cup Standings, Minnesota ranks among the Top 25 of all-time.

The University of Minnesota sports programs have produced right around THIRTY National Championships in the 21st Century. The Cheer program has won so many that I simply lose count, lol. But I think they have 18? The Women's Hockey team has 7. The Men's Hockey team has 2. The Wrestling team has 3. The Men's Golf team has 1. The Women's VB team has FIVE trips to the Final Four in the 21st Century.

The University of Minnesota recently became the only school in history to have former players working as Head Coaches/Managers of teams in ALL FOUR of the Major League sports.

If you combine the money being made by former Gophers in the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, WNBA, NWHL, CWHL, the PGA and with Professional Wrestling and Fighting, it probably ranks among the Top Ten in the nation at producing money making athletes.

The University of Minnesota was THE ONLY school in the country that ranked in the Top 20 at producing NHL, NFL, MLB & NBA players at the same time and they held this distinction since the NBA started in 1949 and then again once the first couple college players first started getting brought into the NHL and this status continued all the way into the 21st Century. And with the right guys coaching our fb and bb teams, Minnesota can regain that status, as long as we don't drop the ball when Anderson finally retires from coaching the baseball team.

Now the potential.

With the fairly new outdoor Football Stadium, and the New Athletes Village going up, and the fact that UMn once led the nation in college bb attendance, and the bb program very recently was also ranked as one of the Top 20 best financially valued programs in the country, and with the struggles of the Vikings and the Timberwolves, and all of the very wealthy Alumni out there, and the exposure that the BTN gives athletes, all the U needs now is for a coach to come along and get our fb and bb teams to start winning games and the throngs of bandwagon fans will jump aboard in very large numbers and then finding money to support Gopher athletics won't be a problem anymore.

And Pitino seems to be the answer for the BB program. He could become an absolute legend here, displacing the likes of even Bud Grant and Murray Williamson. He could join the ranks of the likes of Bernie Bierman and Herb Brooks!!!

As for Fleck? Well, we will just have to wait and see.

The problem is....No one cares about womens wrestling or whatever. What matters in MN is Mens Football, Basketball and Hockey. We have been average to below average in all of them for 50 years except hockey which we have not been truly elite for 1.5 decades. None of those sports you mention pays the bills. If tennis is your thing let Gustavis, Hamlin or Bethel take that title. Lets focus on the big 3 and get them right. Perhaps we are now? But in the mean time Pitino will leave, if Fleck has an ounce of success he's gone, and Lucia should be fired- his time is past (they should be in the hunt every year) . Face it, MN is just not elite in the right areas. But I hear our Mathletes are ranked? Our Glee Club would be ranked if we were not on probation for the tone stealing scandal that gave us the proverbial singing death penalty (only allows us to perform Air Supply songs at the meets)

Top Bottom