With the Program on the Rise, When Will Pitino Sign His First 5-Star Recruit?

When Will Pitino Sign His First 5-Star Recruit?

Votes: 49 76.6%

Votes: 3 4.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We'll have to make do with 3- and 4-star players

Votes: 12 18.8%

• Total voters

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
The program has good momentum and the trajectory arrow is pointing up, so what will that mean for recruiting (which has already been very good the past couple classes)? Specifically, will our coaching staff now be able to get in the living rooms of 5-star players more frequently? And when will the staff sign their first 5-star? Will it be 2019 with Matthew Hurt? Or maybe someone from our impressive NYC-pipeline.

Matthew Hurt....come on down...you're the next contestant on the Choice is Gophers! :)

Why is 2018 not a choice?

Would a 5* not be interested in joining Murphy, Coffey, McBrayer and Mason in the starting line-up? Could Otero become a 5*? Maybe he could poach one from his Dad!

Hurt is a pretty realistic 5 star, so I suppose 2019.

Would a 5* not be interested in joining Murphy, Coffey, McBrayer and Mason in the starting line-up? Could Otero become a 5*? Maybe he could poach one from his Dad!

Yep, you're right I should've included 2018, although I think the odds of us closing the gap with top tier recruits between now and national signing day in November are low. What offers do we have out to 2018 5-stars besides Tre Jones and the aforementioned Moses Brown, who aren't coming here?

If we can get as much interest out of Washington in Pitino's first year then I'd like to think he'd be able to land a 5 star after a victory or two in the tourney and the new facilities.

Is Tre a 5* still? 247 has him as a 4.

I don't know why, but I think we have a better chance with Tre than we did with Tyus. So I'm at least hopeful at Tre. I'm a little less confident on Matthew than others are, though. We'll see.

I don't know why, but I think we have a better chance with Tre than we did with Tyus. So I'm at least hopeful at Tre. I'm a little less confident on Matthew than others are, though. We'll see.

The why is this: The program is in better shape than when Tyus was coming out of HS. Right now there is no reason why these guys can't come in here and win. Tre has to think about the fact that Coach K may be retiring sometime soon as well.

You beat me to it. The only reason why I would think we might not get one in 2018 is because he already has guys he's targeting, guys that fit his style and guys he's already started to build a relationship with. But if we keep winning, and climbing the polls, and especially if we make a deep run in the tourney, then I would think he'd have to start thinking he could have a shot with a 5 star guy out there.

5*****?? Not a guarantee for success.

Ask how well that is going for tOSU and IU as they each have one and a host of 4**** to boot. Wisky has just one 4*** in Koenig and the rest are a bunch of average 3***. Maryland has none and PU has Swanigan. MSU has Bridges and Langford and lots of 4****.

Ask how well that is going for tOSU and IU as they each have one and a host of 4**** to boot. Wisky has just one 4*** in Koenig and the rest are a bunch of average 3***. Maryland has none and PU has Swanigan.

/raises hand tentatively

Umm, I'll take one Swanigan on the Gophers, please.

Does he want to come in and have to compete with Isaiah Washington for 2-3 yeara, is the question? And honestly, I'd rather bypass Tre in hopes landing Jalen Suggs in 2 years after that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How many "5 stars" have we offered at this point? (Hurt being one)

Is that Pitino's M.O.? Maybe reach a little deeper now that we are turning the corner?

Does he want to come in and have to compete with Isaiah Washington for 2-3 yeara, is the question? And honestly, I'd rather bypass Tre in hopes landing Jalen Suggs in 2 years after that.

Meh. If Tre wants to come here, you take Tre. He's that good. And if you get guys like Tre, you can find ways to play them with guys like Jalen and Isaiah. Talent wins.

Tre is supposed to be closest to Duke. You think they don't have top notch competition for playing time?

Tre is far more likely to see a ton of playing time here even with Washington than the other places he's considering. Typically Pitino wants to play with multiple ball handlers in a lineup so it's not really Washington or Tre or Tre or Suggs. He seems pretty set in stone to go to Duke though so it's a bit of a moot point until he shows more interest in the U. What i'm surprised by is the fact he isn't doing more looking around...not just in the Gophers but in general with Duke being the favorites to land the #1 PG in his class. I'm sure he's a competitive kid but i'm not sure where he finds playing time until he's an upperclassman and even then...It's hard to turn down the grand stage that is Duke or the other blue bloods though.

Lets just hope Michael Hurt gets some more playing time next year and develops. Wally couldn't do much other than jump high.

Lets just hope Michael Hurt gets some more playing time next year and develops. Wally couldn't do much other than jump high.

We just need him to play defense and shoot the 3. I expected more from him in the shooting department this year. Hopefully it all comes together next year.

Tre is far more likely to see a ton of playing time here even with Washington than the other places he's considering. Typically Pitino wants to play with multiple ball handlers in a lineup so it's not really Washington or Tre or Tre or Suggs. He seems pretty set in stone to go to Duke though so it's a bit of a moot point until he shows more interest in the U. What i'm surprised by is the fact he isn't doing more looking around...not just in the Gophers but in general with Duke being the favorites to land the #1 PG in his class. I'm sure he's a competitive kid but i'm not sure where he finds playing time until he's an upperclassman and even then...It's hard to turn down the grand stage that is Duke or the other blue bloods though.

It seems like he has a good relationship with Arizona too. I would bet we are the backup of the backup, but I would gladly take him if the other schools land bigger names.

A little off topic, but why didn't the badgers not see a major bump in their recruiting off of their 2 final 4 runs? There were some 5* recruits out of WI area and they missed out on all of them. Does it all boil down to their style of play being "boring"? I'd like to think if we ever had a run like that, all local recruits are slam dunk commits if we want them.

Ask how well that is going for tOSU and IU as they each have one and a host of 4**** to boot. Wisky has just one 4*** in Koenig and the rest are a bunch of average 3***. Maryland has none and PU has Swanigan. MSU has Bridges and Langford and lots of 4****.

We got swept by MSU. And in the Breslin Center we had our most lopsided defeat of the year. :(

His brother has such a great attitude on the bench....he looks like he is really happy here....unlike the way Wally looked.

Not many players step in as freshman and make a huge impact. Can't be too worried about Hurt's ability to contribute at a high level in the coming years. Right now.....the Gophers just have a surprising amount of depth. On a side note.....he played a lot more last night than I would have expected.

It seems like he has a good relationship with Arizona too. I would bet we are the backup of the backup, but I would gladly take him if the other schools land bigger names.

Definitely would take him in a heartbeat. I suppose we'll see how everything shakes out in the spring and summer. Recruiting will be fun to follow this offseason.

The two PG's that Duke is favored to land in the 2017 and 2018 classes are both likely one and done's so I don't see that affecting Tre's status with Duke, he is probably still a take for them but hopefully they sign quite a few guys this in this class and in next years as that the only way Tre comes here.

Sure he will get one eventually but i would not be bothered if he never did. There are about 25 in a year, several are one and done and only two schools this century won a title with one and dones. Get the 4 year player. Out of that 25 15 are going Duke, UNC,KU,UK. That leaves 5 0r so more and UCLA and ARIZ. are taking a couple. The super elite players do not care about your school, look how Fultz, Smith this year and Simmons last year actually did not help the program at all. Do it like UW,NOVA, UVA do it you would have great success and get to watch kids grow and change and represent.

Top Bottom