KenPom 2/23/17

GoldenAle

Reaction score
Gophers a 5 seed vs 12 Nevada in Sacremento. Winner gets UCLA.

I know one Gopher fan who would craw on his belly to be there....Btw ..Wolfpack beat Boise State last night 85-77 for first place in the Mountain West

I may be biased, but a 7 seed seems awfully low...and a draw of a 10 seed Syracuse? No thanks.

Ya I think reality is somewhere in the middle. I think we are a 6 seed pending a Big Ten Tournament run.

Here are the resumes of some of the teams that Lunardi has seeded above the Gophers - emphasis on 5 and 6 seeds

Saint Mary's, 6 Seed in South region
RPI 16
SOS 67
24-3 overall
1-2 against RPI 1-25 (win @Dayton, losses against Gonzaga, @Gonzaga)
2-3 against RPI 1-50 (wins against Nevada, loss to UT Arlington)
7-3 against RPI 1-100
Total RPI of best 3 wins is 135
Best win is @Dayton
worst loss is to UT Arlington

SMU, 5 Seed in South region
RPI 19
SOS 101
Overall 24-4
1-3 vs RPI 1-50 (win against Cincinatti, losses against Michigan, @USC, @Cincinatti)
84 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of best 3 wins is 129
Best win - Cincinatti
Worst loss - Michigan

Virginia, 5 Seed in West region
RPI 20
SOS 5
Overall 18-9
3-4 vs RPI 1-25
6-7 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs wake forest, VATech, louisville, @louisville, @Cal, @Notre Dame, losses vs WVU, FSU, Duke, Miami, @Villanova, @VATech, @UNC)
10-9 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of 3 best wins 41
Best Win: Louisville (twice)
Worst Loss: Syracuse

Creighton, 6 Seed, West region
RPI 27
SOS 60
Overall 21-6
4-2 vs RPI 1-25
5-3 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs Wisconsin, Seton Hall, Butler, @Xavier, @Butler, losses vs Villanova, Xavier, @Seton Hall)
11-6 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of best 3 wins is 44
Best Win @Butler
Worst Loss vs Georgetown

Cincinnati 5 Seed, East region
RPI 15
SOS 91
Overall 24-3
2-2 vs RPI 1-25
3-3 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs SMU, Xavier, @Iowa State, losses vs Rhode Island, @Butler, @SMU)
6-3 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of 3 best wins is 80
Best win vs SMU
Worst Loss vs Rhode Island

Oklahoma St 6 seed, East region
RPI 28
SOS 24
Overall 18-9
0-5 vs RPI 1-25
3-7 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs Arkansas, @Wichita State, @WVU, losses vs UNC, WVU, Iowa St, Baylor, @Maryland, @Baylor, @Kansas)
8-8 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of best 3 wins is 107
Best win @WVU
Worst Loss @Texas (RPI=157!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Wisconsin, 5 Seed Midwest Region
RPI 24
SOS 94
Overall 22-5
2-2 vs RPI 1-25
3-5 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs Michigan, Maryland, @Minnesota, losses vs UNC, Northwestern, @Creighton, @Purdue, @Michigan)
13-5 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of best 3 wins 86
Best Win @Minnesota
Worst Loss @Michigan

Notre Dame, 6 Seed Midwest Region
RPI 23
SOS 34
Overall 21-7
2-6 vs RPI 1-25
6-6 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs Northwestern, Louisville, Wake Forest, FSU, @Miami, @VATech, losses vs Villanova, Purdue, Virginia, Duke, @FSU, @UNC)
10-7 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of 3 best wins 53
Best Win vs Louisville
Worst Loss @Georgia Tech (RPI=86)

Now lets look at Minnesota's Resume

RPI 15
SOS 12
Overall 21-7
2-3 vs RPI 1-25
7-5 vs RPI 1-50 (wins vs UT Arlington, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Michigan, @Purdue, @Northwestern, @Maryland, losses vs MSU, Wisconsin, Maryland, @FSU, @MSU)
11-7 vs RPI 1-100
Total RPI of best 3 wins 70
Best Win @Purdue
Worst Loss @Penn State (RPI 81), @OSU (RPI 79)

We have a much better resume than Saint Mary's, SMU, Cincinnati, Oklahoma St no doubt in my mind. The fact that he has OK State as a 6 seed is actually laughable.
You could argue we have a better resume than Wisconsin and Notre Dame

I think Creighton and Virginia are the only two teams seeded on the 5/6 line above us that actually have a clearly better tournament resume

What the hell is Lunardi smoking?

i know that his rankings don't actually mean anything because he doesn't pick the field, but still not sure what he has against the gophers

Without looking at everything could you just argue he's lazy? With the ranking vote totals we were #34 before last nights win. A 7 seed puts us around #28 in rankings. Could he just be lazy and use this as his measure for seeding?

Without looking at everything could you just argue he's lazy? With the ranking vote totals we were #34 before last nights win. A 7 seed puts us around #28 in rankings. Could he just be lazy and use this as his measure for seeding?
No he's much smarter than that, and that also wouldn't explain why he has unranked oklahoma state as a 6 seed. Plus, he knows that the polls are flawed and are not an accurate rating of the quality of the team as for the media voters the biggest criteria is "what have you done for me lately."

No he's much smarter than that, and that also wouldn't explain why he has unranked oklahoma state as a 6 seed. Plus, he knows that the polls are flawed and are not an accurate rating of the quality of the team as for the media voters the biggest criteria is "what have you done for me lately."

Honestly I think he uses regurgitated computer info to fill most of the bracket, than he probably putz around with the bubble and the top couple of seeds and calls it good

Honestly I think he uses regurgitated computer info to fill most of the bracket, than he probably putz around with the bubble and the top couple of seeds and calls it good

Correct. Aka BPI, the metric espn has been shoving down our throats that "projects"
future results, and completely disregards empirical evidence.

To build off of A nonymous's write up above...here are the remaining schedules for the 5-7 seeds in today's ESPN bracketology. Numbers in parentheses are the RPI numbers.

Conference tournament games obviously aren't included.

#5 seed Wisconsin - @ (79) Ohio St, @ (43) Mich St, vs (108) Iowa, vs (15) Minnesota
#5 seed Cincinnati - vs (111) Memphis, @ (95) UCF, vs (59) Houston, @ (107) Connecticut
#5 seed Virginia - @ (97) NC State, vs (2) North Carolina, vs (64) Pittsburgh
#5 seed SMU - @ (107) Connecticut, vs (116) Tulsa, vs (111) Memphis

#6 seed Notre Dame - vs (86) Georgia Tech, vs (203) Boston College, @ (4) Louisville
#6 seed Oklahoma St - vs (100) Texas Tech, @ (39) Iowa St, vs (1) Kansas
#6 seed Creighton - @ (3) Villanova, vs (121) St Johns, @ (69) Marquette
#6 seed St Marys - @ (228) Pepperdine, vs (147) Santa Clara

#7 seed Iowa St - vs (6) Baylor, vs (28) Ok St, @ (30) West Virginia
#7 seed Maryland - vs (108) Iowa, @ (152) Rutgers, vs (43) Mich St
#7 seed South Carolina - vs (63) Tennessee, vs (130) Mississippi St, @ (67) Ole Miss
#7 seed GOPHERS - vs (81) Penn St, vs (72) Nebraska, @ (24) Wisconsin

Too many opportunities for teams to pull out huge wins or lose tough ones. Only thing that sticks out is St Mary's likely won't lose until their conference tourney to Gonzaga again.

The only Lunardi bracket worth looking at is the one Selection Sunday morning.

It is always vastly different from anything he had the night before, which makes me believe he gets fed inside info.

The only Lunardi bracket worth looking at is the one Selection Sunday morning.

It is always vastly different from anything he had the night before, which makes me believe he gets fed inside info.
Or he looks at the whole bracket and not just pieces of it. This is not his day job. He has other things to do. Highly doubt he gets any inside information.

Top Bottom