ESPN: Biggest questions for teams in Big Ten West (Minnesota: QB battle)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Minnesota: With the departure of longtime starter Mitch Leidner, the Gophers' starting quarterback competition should be wide open under first-year coach P.J. Fleck. At the very least, Minnesota will have some experience in the quarterback room because Fleck convinced backup Conor Rhoda not to transfer. Rhoda, a fifth-year senior, played in three games last season and made his first career start in place of an injured Leidner against Maryland. He completed 7 of 15 passes for 82 yards with one touchdown. But there are a host of other quarterbacks vying for time. Demry Croft is the only other player with FBS game experience at Minnesota. Croft appeared in three games last season and completed 7 of 17 passes. Junior college transfer Neil McLaurin is on campus for spring practices. Seth Green and Mark Williams each redshirted last season, while Rey Estes and Tanner Morgan will be true freshmen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/141583/biggest-questions-for-teams-in-big-ten-west

Go Gophers!!

Notice the article has the same situation for Nebraska, which has been hauling in some really impressive QB and receiver recruits to make Riley's Oregon State-related passing offense work.

per ESPN:

Minnesota: With the departure of longtime starter Mitch Leidner, the Gophers' starting quarterback competition should be wide open under first-year coach P.J. Fleck. At the very least, Minnesota will have some experience in the quarterback room because Fleck convinced backup Conor Rhoda not to transfer. Rhoda, a fifth-year senior, played in three games last season and made his first career start in place of an injured Leidner against Maryland. He completed 7 of 15 passes for 82 yards with one touchdown. But there are a host of other quarterbacks vying for time. Demry Croft is the only other player with FBS game experience at Minnesota. Croft appeared in three games last season and completed 7 of 17 passes. Junior college transfer Neil McLaurin is on campus for spring practices. Seth Green and Mark Williams each redshirted last season, while Rey Estes and Tanner Morgan will be true freshmen.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/141583/biggest-questions-for-teams-in-big-ten-west

Go Gophers!!

Croft appeared in three games in 2015, not last season, but the point still stands; not a TON of game experience. I think a healthy open competition with little or no incoming bias factoring into the decision will produce a viable starter by the end of August. Unlike some, I wouldn't be horrified if Rhoda won the starting gig. He's the most mature QB in the bunch and he did just fine against Maryland. For whoever wins the starting nod, Rhoda or one of the others, getting all of the starter reps with the first-team offense will go a long ways in their development; nobody in this group has had that luxury up to this point.

Seth Mfn Green yo...Dem MN boyz gotta step it up. I think he's got it in him. Throw it to my boy Tyler Johnson. The Gophers should always at its core be a MN HS all Star team which to its credit it largely has been recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Croft appeared in three games in 2015, not last season, but the point still stands; not a TON of game experience. I think a healthy open competition with little or no incoming bias factoring into the decision will produce a viable starter by the end of August. Unlike some, I wouldn't be horrified if Rhoda won the starting gig. He's the most mature QB in the bunch and he did just fine against Maryland. For whoever wins the starting nod, Rhoda or one of the others, getting all of the starter reps with the first-team offense will go a long ways in their development; nobody in this group has had that luxury up to this point.

Exactly right. None of the (non JC transfer) candidates has a leg up with the new staff and systems.

Top Bottom