Tempered Expectations for Gophers

The numerous examples of past Minnesota sports let downs make me always have a chip-on-my-shoulder attitude as a fan and managing expectations is important also; that being said I'm really enjoying this surprisingly quick turn around.

I didn't see it. I never trust the preseason, so I assumed that the brutal first half of the B1G would do them in (it nearly did). Even after seeing them match up in size with MSU and other B1G teams, I still didn't see it. I didn't see them fully emerging from the losing streak when they were over dribbling and playing hero ball at crunch time. I didn't see the growth, improvement and cohesion that came out of that rough stretch of games. I didn't see Nate Mason as quite the leader he has become.

Sometimes being blind can open your eyes.

I appreciate your positivity, Killmenow (though an interesting sentiment for somebody with that nom de plume). And you're right. The pro sports teams in town have been more disappointing over the years than the Gophers. In fact, few teams have been as disappointing in sports as our pro sports teams (of the male variety at least). But it's tough to not let that constant negativity from the Vikings, and Wolves, and others, trickle down a bit to jaundice our general perspective on sports. It doesn't interfere with my enjoyment during the good times, just keeps me a little healthy dose of pessimism, to protect me for what seems like the inevitable drop of the other shoe.

jmag21 - I can see where the confusion comes from, but if you see when my join date was, you might recognize that was back when Kill was our coach. Hence the "Killmenow" It was my way of letting everyone know I was a Coach Kill fan, not a reference to my desire to have someone end my life, lol.

My other moniker here, of which I forgot the password, was PartoPitinosPosse, or something very close to that.

And way back in the day, my moniker was UMn#1nfbBbHkmbbwHkWrChr or something very close to that. And before that, UMnPride or something like that.

I work 100 hours a week every spring and fall, and depend on my computer to log me in too much, so I'm horrible at organization of any kind and so whenever I have to get a new laptop, I basically have to change moniker. lol

Just enjoy the season. Team has surpassed expectations. Anything the team does from here on out this season is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...I don't think anyone thinks we are Final Four bound. Can't we just enjoy this hot streak, an extremely fun, young team to watch and be excited that we are in the Tournament this year?

Final 4? No. Given our current seeding in Lunardi's bracket, I can see Elite 8.

Final 4? No. Given our current seeding in Lunardi's bracket, I can see Elite 8.

You know, I may catch some flack for this, and have sort of thought myself that a trip to the Elite 8 would be the best case scenario for this season, while either 1 win or a trip to the Sweet 16 are more realistic hopes for this team.

But...

Watching teams like Villanova along with 2 other Top Ten teams lost just last night, the theme most cbb fans have been talking about is how weak this year's field is, and how few really good teams there are out there. Louisville is 0-4 vs Top 25 rated teams, for one example. Butler is 5-0, but they've also lost to St Johns and some team rated in the 200s. And I think Villanova lost that game last night at home, and got swept by that team.

So all I am saying is, the word No, shouldn't be in our vocabulary. "Probably not" would be fine, and realistic, but no, is denying the reality that teams with worse seeds than we're going to get going up against stronger NCAA tourney fields have gone on to either make the Final Four or even to win it. I'm thinking of Villanova and UConn, among others.

You know, I may catch some flack for this, and have sort of thought myself that a trip to the Elite 8 would be the best case scenario for this season, while either 1 win or a trip to the Sweet 16 are more realistic hopes for this team.

But...

Watching teams like Villanova along with 2 other Top Ten teams lost just last night, the theme most cbb fans have been talking about is how weak this year's field is, and how few really good teams there are out there. Louisville is 0-4 vs Top 25 rated teams, for one example. Butler is 5-0, but they've also lost to St Johns and some team rated in the 200s. And I think Villanova lost that game last night at home, and got swept by that team.

So all I am saying is, the word No, shouldn't be in our vocabulary. "Probably not" would be fine, and realistic, but no, is denying the reality that teams with worse seeds than we're going to get going up against stronger NCAA tourney fields have gone on to either make the Final Four or even to win it. I'm thinking of Villanova and UConn, among others.
I'm with you 100%. No sarcasm to my post. No team is unbeatable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hear all of your thoughts - but this team right now is playing as well as any team in the BT and possibly in the NCAA.. I see a huge upside and possible nice run (two wins) in the NCAA ... Why not? Reggie just has to stay out of foul trouble and this team could do major damage in the NCAA Tourney.

I didn't see it. I never trust the preseason, so I assumed that the brutal first half of the B1G would do them in (it nearly did). Even after seeing them match up in size with MSU and other B1G teams, I still didn't see it. I didn't see them fully emerging from the losing streak when they were over dribbling and playing hero ball at crunch time. I didn't see the growth, improvement and cohesion that came out of that rough stretch of games. I didn't see Nate Mason as quite the leader he has become.

Sometimes being blind can open your eyes.
Nice post, Jammer!
While the outcomes weren't always what I wanted, I just saw a team going in the right direction that was fun to watch. I had a inkling that if they all starting playing like they were capable all at once (like last night), it could be amazing. But we've all had thoughts like that - and Charles Buggs isn't ever going to be the guy it seemed like he could, and Rodney never quite lived up to his ESPN highlight flashes.

Here's an important thing to remember: what we as fans think or feel doesn't really matter - just showing up and supporting the team. So what if we get over excited about this? My over-confidence doesn't matter in the least. The team and Pitino need to take care about being steady, not overlooking opponents but I get to just be happy and enjoy the ride until it's over, and then I get to be excited about next year.

I'm with you 100%. No sarcasm to my post. No team is unbeatable.

For the most part, I agree. But I just can't see this team beating Florida State or Arizona or teams with transcendent bigs. Villanova, Duke, Gonzaga, etc are fair game.

For the most part, I agree. But I just can't see this team beating Florida State or Arizona or teams with transcendent bigs. Villanova, Duke, Gonzaga, etc are fair game.
True. I think we fair well against all but UNC in Lenardi's current bracket. Don't want to see AZ or FSU in Rd 2 or 3 (assuming we make it that far)

Top Bottom