Tempered Expectations for Gophers

Otis

Reaction score
I know this 6 game winning streak is awesome! Best thing I've witnessed in forever but I feel a few of you need to be pulled back into Minnesota.

The Vikings were the last unbeaten team in the NFL and failed to make the playoffs.

The 2004? Timberwolves were on their way to the NBA finals when Sam I Am hurt his leg.

Farve threw an interception in 2009.

The Vikes have lost 4 Super Bowls and were favored in at least 2 of them.

We are not used to being fans of a front running team and have feasted on underdog status for years. Please help remind our current Gopher players of past letdowns when it had appeared they had turned the corner and reached the next level.

Saturday against Penn State won't be easy. Nebraska won't be easy. But we will be decided favorites in both games. Anything less than maximum effort will deflate this balloon as quickly as the 5 game losing streak when we were tied for the conference lead.

Gophers, please don't overlook PSU and Nebraska! You've earned everything you have achieved this year. Nothing will be handed to you now.

Go Gophers!!

They seem like an even keel group of guys and I think they learned a big lesson about getting big headed when they went to East Lansing. I am sure they want that double bye and will be motivated

Wow...I don't think anyone thinks we are Final Four bound. Can't we just enjoy this hot streak, an extremely fun, young team to watch and be excited that we are in the Tournament this year?

Non sense. There are only 3-4 teams that the Gophers do not match up with very well. Pitino finally has them playing with that toughness that defense requires and gives the team confidence. Add in 4 guards that can score. Fear is not to be used again. Season sets up great as well because that last game in Madison will be just like a NCAA tournament game.

Wow...I don't think anyone thinks we are Final Four bound. Can't we just enjoy this hot streak, an extremely fun, young team to watch and be excited that we are in the Tournament this year?

No.

Non sense. There are only 3-4 teams that the Gophers do not match up with very well. Pitino finally has them playing with that toughness that defense requires and gives the team confidence. Add in 4 guards that can score. Fear is not to be used again. Season sets up great as well because that last game in Madison will be just like a NCAA tournament game.

4th guard? Assuming you're calling Coffey a guard?

And curious who you think the 3-4 teams are?

National Championship or this season is a failure.

Just making the Tournament - which they will now do - is enough reason to be totally, completely satisfied with this season. It's been so enjoyable to watch and continues to be enjoyable. As one of the Strib writers put it, if you can't enjoy this, stop watching sports.

This thread reminds me of a William Butler Yates quote I saw paraphrased on this very board a long time ago:

"Being a Gopher fan, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

I don't think this team beats the GS Warriors in a five game series, but I wouldn't bet against them in seven. :)

Seriously, I get what Otis is saying. I think Maryland was a little cocky last night because they were able to turn it on when they needed to in the first game (particularly Trimble). Now that the gophers are legit the next challenge is to stay consistent and to not overestimate their talent.

I don't think this team beats the GS Warriors in a five game series, but I wouldn't bet against them in seven. :)

Seriously, I get what Otis is saying. I think Maryland was a little cocky last night because they were able to turn it on when they needed to in the first game (particularly Trimble). Now that the gophers are legit the next challenge is to stay consistent and to not overestimate their talent.

I've always said Jamiche is a sage amongst us!

I'll be the first to admit that I never saw this coming. This is the biggest one-year turnaround that I can ever recall. I gave them no chance of making the Dance this year and just wanted to see improvement in the players and program. Pitino has earned my respect as a fan and I have to believe that this will really help our recruiting in the coming years. These guys are tough - physically and mentally. Don't just grab the rebound, throw a shoulder or discrete elbow and then grab the rebound. They seem to fear nothing and really bond as a team which is rare considering how young they are. Most enjoyable season in quite a long time...everything else they accomplish the rest of the way is just gravy to me. Go Gophers!!!

Not sure it is that big a surprise for anybody that watched the non conference part of the schedule, going into the season I was thinking 6 or 7 B1G wins, after four or five of the non conference games it was obvious they were going to be much better than anyone expected. All of the additions, Lynch, Springs, Curry, and Coffey were better than advertised. Still had to get through a very tough schedule though.

I'll be the first to admit that I never saw this coming. This is the biggest one-year turnaround that I can ever recall. I gave them no chance of making the Dance this year and just wanted to see improvement in the players and program. Pitino has earned my respect as a fan and I have to believe that this will really help our recruiting in the coming years. These guys are tough - physically and mentally. Don't just grab the rebound, throw a shoulder or discrete elbow and then grab the rebound. They seem to fear nothing and really bond as a team which is rare considering how young they are. Most enjoyable season in quite a long time...everything else they accomplish the rest of the way is just gravy to me. Go Gophers!!!

Close to being the biggest turnaround ever, I think - which is 17 games. See below

Assume for a moment we finish out the regular season 2-1, and go 1-1 in both the B1G Tourney and NCAA tourney - which I think is a fair assumption:

21-7 as of today
2-1 finish
1-1 B1G tourney
1-1 NCAA tourney

25-10

(25 wins this year) minus (8 wins last year) = +17 in the win column

That would be deserving of some coaching honors I would think...

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ear-turnaround-in-ncaa-hoops-history/1959405/

Lots of chicken counting here.. I'll shut up now.

EDIT: I am assuming any "turnaround record" would allow for tourney wins, right?

Enjoying the ride. Last nights win was huge, one of the best wins in memory. It meant something. Clinched a spot in the tournament, improved seeding possibilities in B10 tournament, 6 strait W, 5 road wins. In that context it was one of the best wins I've seen.
Not done yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am somewhat slow to the band wagon as I haven't watched enough games this year but will say this- this is a really talented group of players. For a long time the Gophers have 2-3 really sloid guys and have had to give minutes to guys like Welch, Mav, Buggs etc. The top 7 of this team all look really solid and psible all big ten guys.

Springs has been a huge addition. He brings a bit of toughness the younger guys may be missing. Springs-Buggs was an awesome "trade".

I am somewhat slow to the band wagon as I haven't watched enough games this year but will say this- this is a really talented group of players. For a long time the Gophers have 2-3 really sloid guys and have had to give minutes to guys like Welch, Mav, Buggs etc. The top 7 of this team all look really solid and psible all big ten guys.

Springs has been a huge addition. He brings a bit of toughness the younger guys may be missing. Springs-Buggs was an awesome "trade".

I bought into this squad early in the year after watching a few of the non-conf games. You could just see there was something special with this squad and they were so much fun to watch. Not saying this is a National Championship level team by any stretch of the imagination but it was easy to see the improvement over last year and I felt like under the right circumstances the team had a shot of being a factor in the conference.

The losing streak almost derailed everything but it has been awesome to see the team bounce back and get back on track. I absolutely think there is enough talent on this roster to beat anyone in the conference and it would not shock me to see us do really well in the BTT given how we are playing right now.

The fact that we are in the mix in the conference and a lock to go to the NCAA tournament after starting the year being projected to finish near the bottom of the conference, is enough for me to view this year as a success. But I for one certainly hope this ride keeps on going for a while.

I know this 6 game winning streak is awesome! Best thing I've witnessed in forever but I feel a few of you need to be pulled back into Minnesota.

The Vikings were the last unbeaten team in the NFL and failed to make the playoffs.

The 2004? Timberwolves were on their way to the NBA finals when Sam I Am hurt his leg.

Farve threw an interception in 2009.

The Vikes have lost 4 Super Bowls and were favored in at least 2 of them.

We are not used to being fans of a front running team and have feasted on underdog status for years. Please help remind our current Gopher players of past letdowns when it had appeared they had turned the corner and reached the next level.

Saturday against Penn State won't be easy. Nebraska won't be easy. But we will be decided favorites in both games. Anything less than maximum effort will deflate this balloon as quickly as the 5 game losing streak when we were tied for the conference lead.

Gophers, please don't overlook PSU and Nebraska! You've earned everything you have achieved this year. Nothing will be handed to you now.

Go Gophers!!

You bring up only professional teams who let down Minnesota fans. Guys who our pro teams PAID to come here. Guys whose hearts may not be 100%?

I'll point out to you COLLEGE examples of Gopher teams that did NOT disappoint us.

Men's Golf team that barely got past the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney, and the program was going to be dropped, but they came back in round 3 and 4 and ended up winning the Natl Title, which inspired donations to come in and save not only their program, but the women's golf and men's gymnastics team as well.

The Men's hockey team that made a run all the way to the Championship game a couple of years ago, when no one thought they were that good.

The Women's hockey team that went into the NCAA tourney as the underdog, well, at least not the favorite, but they beat the favorite and won a surprise Natl Title, basically garnering the program the legitimate status of a DYNASTY, as that surprise win helped them to win 4 Titles in 5 years, with a runner up finish the one year they didn't win.

The women's hockey team back over 10 years ago, that made a surprise run into the Frozen Four and finished as runner ups.

The 1989 and 90 Men's BB teams that both made runs deeper into the NCAA tourney than either were thought capable of doing.

The 1997 Men's BB team that came out of a weak Big Ten that had underperformed as a conference the previous couple of years, and that many did not believe would do much in the Big Dance, that made it all the way to the Final Four.

The Women's Cheer program, that after winning 4 titles in a row in the early part of the 2000s, suffered through a 2-3 year period that had them finishing not even close to winning the title, but came roaring back to the top of the sport and has won at least 1 Title every year now for what is it, 6, 7, 8 years in a row now? They've won so many I've simply lost count.

A women's VB program that is getting to the point that Final Four runs are becoming almost the expectation.

Their run 2 years ago came out of nowhere for most, as the season before the team didn't even make the tourney. Much like this year's Men's BB team. But they didn't come anywhere near making the tourney, so no, I'm not saying its a direct correlation, I am not saying that our Men's BB team will make a run to the Final Four, at least not this year. But I wouldn't be shocked to see them get to the Elite 8.

We had a Women's Soccer team that played hard all season and won them a Big Ten Title.

We have a women's Softball team that has been getting better and better every year and is up to #11 in the polls after a record 9-0 start.

We have a Men's Gymnastics team that is ranked #5

We have an injury plagued Women's Hockey team that pulled off back to back ties against the #1 ranked team in the country last week and are ranked #4.

We have a Men's Hockey team that has played its way up to a #4 ranking.

The Men's Tennis team has cracked the Top 25 poll and the Baseball team is getting votes for the Top 25.

And there are other Top 25 teams I haven't mentioned.

And several of our sports teams are climbing in the ACADEMIC rankings, and winning acclaim or awards for their academic achievements, including our football and basketball teams.

Why is it all some Minnesota fans seem to focus on is the negatives? They look only at pro sports and the big 2, mens bb and fb as the only measure for success of Minnesota sports.

Oh, but they forget to mention the success of the Lynx. And this year, the Wild, #2 team in all of the NHL, just a point out of being #1.

And they seem to forget that we are a SMALL MARKET. No city/state has such a small population and SO MANY sports teams.

I just get so sick of the negativity.

I appreciate your positivity, Killmenow (though an interesting sentiment for somebody with that nom de plume). And you're right. The pro sports teams in town have been more disappointing over the years than the Gophers. In fact, few teams have been as disappointing in sports as our pro sports teams (of the male variety at least). But it's tough to not let that constant negativity from the Vikings, and Wolves, and others, trickle down a bit to jaundice our general perspective on sports. It doesn't interfere with my enjoyment during the good times, just keeps me a little healthy dose of pessimism, to protect me for what seems like the inevitable drop of the other shoe.

Good points. But......

1. The Men's hockey team is at one point of every season ranked either #1 or #2 and still has not won a Frozen Four since 2003. This despite having our alums all over the NHL. They are the equivalent of UNC when coached by Dean Smith, who won only 2 National Championships with the McDonald's All-America team.
2. The other sports have had success, but I'm not interested in page 5 of the sports section!

I am as proud of my university as anyone, but being a Gopher fan since 1965 has taught me one thing. We are long-suffering fans who look over our back no matter how good the present is!

The point of this thread is to point out the Gophers can't get caught napping these next 2 games and the Pollyanna view we all are riding can go away very fast.

Good points. But......

1. The Men's hockey team is at one point of every season ranked either #1 or #2 and still has not won a Frozen Four since 2003. This despite having our alums all over the NHL. They are the equivalent of UNC when coached by Dean Smith, who won only 2 National Championships with the McDonald's All-America team.
2. The other sports have had success, but I'm not interested in page 5 of the sports section!

I am as proud of my university as anyone, but being a Gopher fan since 1965 has taught me one thing. We are long-suffering fans who look over our back no matter how good the present is!

The point of this thread is to point out the Gophers can't get caught napping these next 2 games and the Pollyanna view we all are riding can go away very fast.

I think even if they lose out they make the tourney which would be disappointing short term (losing out). However, the season as a whole should be viewed as exceeding expectations to many as there were probably few who thought we would go dancing this year.

I think even if they lose out they make the tourney which would be disappointing short term (losing out). However, the season as a whole should be viewed as exceeding expectations to many as there were probably few who thought we would go dancing this year.
+1000

Minnesota Lynx. Need I say more? many people probably don't think about them with regards to professional sports teams but they haven't let us down. And I would argue that the Wild also haven't let us down yet either(compared to national expectations). There are 4 examples that you listed... 3 of them are the vikings. It's entirely possible that the problem is just with them.

Minnesota Lynx. Need I say more? many people probably don't think about them with regards to professional sports teams but they haven't let us down. And I would argue that the Wild also haven't let us down yet either(compared to national expectations). There are 4 examples that you listed... 3 of them are the vikings. It's entirely possible that the problem is just with them.

I was just being lazy. I could have mentioned the train wreck that plays at Target field or picked on the only NBA team in history to get caught making an under the table deal.

The Lynx are AWESOME!

The Wild have to prove they can get by Chicago.

The Gopher football team hasn't won a conference championship in over 40 years!

The basketball team hasn't officially won the conference since Trent Tucker!

I am immensely happy with our basketball team's performance. I just don't want to drop a game because the team expects to win.

I was just being lazy. I could have mentioned the train wreck that plays at Target field or picked on the only NBA team in history to get caught making an under the table deal.

The Lynx are AWESOME!

The Wild have to prove they can get by Chicago.

The Gopher football team hasn't won a conference championship in over 40 years!

The basketball team hasn't officially won the conference since Trent Tucker!

I am immensely happy with our basketball team's performance. I just don't want to drop a game because the team expects to win.

That doesn't mean that there is a curse or whatever it just means that we have stunk it up.

That doesn't mean that there is a curse or whatever it just means that we have stunk it up.

We had some seriously underachieving teams when Tubby was here. (through injury, grades or other natural catastrophe)

Top Bottom