This is a top 3 win for me in the past decade

EG#9

Reaction score
I'd say winning a tournament game has to be on the list given we have only one and winning the San Juan Shootout over a stacked field is the other. After those two, I'd say this is the best win IMHO the Gophers have had given when it occurred. To go on the road in late February and beat a really good Maryland team for a chance at a top 4 seed in the B1G tournament and absolutely wrapping up a spot in the dance? YES! Huge congrats to Pitino, his coaching staff and all of the players on an absolutely spectacular performance.

Akeem Springs shooting was huge early in the first and early in the second half! Dupree McBrayer was amazing in the second half and it's great to see him bounce back with two of the better games in his career after his struggles. The Jordan Murphy turnaround is something amazing. He even was making free throws tonight! I could have done without the early 3's, but those back downs in to finishes were huge. Amir continues to play like an upperclassmen and makes a number of winning plays. Nate Mason was up and down, but had a huge and 1 late in the first half when things were going awry and continues to be our most valuable player who has to play almost all 40 minutes. I don't know if anyone listened to Pitino's coaching show this week, but Nate has been dealing with Bronchitis recently...and is still out there almost the entire game!

What made this game super satisfying to me is that the Gophers fought through a lot of adversity. I honestly can't believe it was Turgeon who got T'd up and not Pitino given how that game was officiated. Turgeon wasn't happy with getting nearly every call to go his way...he needed all of them? Reggie got called for a terrible over the back that put him on the bench and Maryland was bailed out of players falling down on their own at least twice. Bakary was awful tonight and was a huge part of most of the runs Maryland made and he was in as a direct result of a couple of questionable Lynch fouls. When Pitino switched to a Curry/Murphy frontcourt and kept Bakary on the bench the Gophers started to get going again. It's pretty exciting to think that we've got two more years of Curry and Murphy, talented bigs are probably the most difficult players to sign.

Huge congrats to Pitino, his staff, the players and all involved in this turnaround.

As for its impact changing the perception of the program, its a big one in gopher land and nationally. For the 1st time in more than 2 decades, the Gophers have the feel of a team that could break through everyone's perceived ceiling for them. The pieces have come together and we don't know how good they can be.

For me, the wins against Louisville, North Carolina, and #1 ranked Indiana are better, but no doubt this is a big win.

Kinda nice talking about things like this for a change, instead of the ol' "How are we ever going to recover from THIS?" again.

Hope all the 2018 MN recruits are taking notice. **cough** Tre Jones**cough**

The last decade, yeah - it's hard to find many better ones. Up there: the NIT final four games were fun and sweet. The BTT run in 2010. The NCAA win in 2013. The non-conference win over Louisville. Dre's 40-point game. The OT thriller at Wisconsin in 2009. The rout at #12 Illinois in 2013. And, of course, the win over #1 Indiana.

The win over Maryland last season has to be up there in my opinion.

The last decade, yeah - it's hard to find many better ones. Up there: the NIT final four games were fun and sweet. The BTT run in 2010. The NCAA win in 2013. The non-conference win over Louisville. Dre's 40-point game. The OT thriller at Wisconsin in 2009. The rout at #12 Illinois in 2013. And, of course, the win over #1 Indiana.

Good list!

Hard to believe that it's almost a decade ago, but 2008 / Indiana / Hoffarber / Ass is probably about as thrilling as it gets.

Top 3 at least...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's up there because this was a true road win over a ranked team. When was the last time that happened?

Edit: Purdue, duh. When's the last time we beat two ranked teams on the road in one season?

It's up there because this was a true road win over a ranked team. When was the last time that happened?

Jan 1st of this year. At #15 Purdue.

Road wins over ranked teams are super common now. #NewWorldOrder

Jan 1st of this year. At #15 Purdue.

Road wins over ranked teams are super common now. #NewWorldOrder

All road wins are like gold, road wins against ranked teams are like...umm really good gold, 24K. 50th and France type gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the game from my phone as I'm not anywhere that has BTN. Weird to be yelling at my tiny screen.

Pool beers taste better today after the win.

For me since the start of the Tubby era, the wins against Louisville, UNC, Butler, WVU in the Puerto Rico tourney championship, Purdue and MSU in the Big Ten tourney and MSU at home and @Illinois in Tubby's last year were some of the biggest wins for me.

The OT W in Madison and the W vs #1 Indiana were big as well

Last year the season was already lost and our season was a failure regardless of whether we beat Maryland or not so it wasn't a huge win for me. This was a nice win but I felt good about our tourney chances anyways. It wasn't a must win.

Those 2 wins vs UNC and Louisville were probably the most excited i've ever been about gopher b-ball.

Edit: Purdue, duh. When's the last time we beat two ranked teams on the road in one season?

Were Iowa and sparty ranked when we beat them two years ago?
First winning road record in conference since '97

For me since the start of the Tubby era, the wins against Louisville, UNC, Butler, WVU in the Puerto Rico tourney championship, Purdue and MSU in the Big Ten tourney and MSU at home and @Illinois in Tubby's last year were some of the biggest wins for me.

The OT W in Madison and the W vs #1 Indiana were big as well

Last year the season was already lost and our season was a failure regardless of whether we beat Maryland or not so it wasn't a huge win for me. This was a nice win but I felt good about our tourney chances anyways. It wasn't a must win.

Those 2 wins vs UNC and Louisville were probably the most excited i've ever been about gopher b-ball.

How could I have forgotten the UNC game?! Where Harrison Barnes essentially disappeared into Mo Walker. That was a good day.

TGADTWWBYKBERTP.20120620194633.jpeg

Mason is the best guard in the Big10!!!

For me, the Badger Killer Lawrence Westbrook. In Madison and Williams Arena. He absolutely hated Wisconsin and made reference to that in a interview after the game in Madison. Tubby wasn't happy about that.

I totally forgot about the 2010 B1G tournament run. Given that the Gophers were on the bubble, those wins certainly are at least on par with last nights win. I purposely didn't include the win @Wisconsin because 1. I hate to give Bucky the satisfaction that a win over them is some milestone and 2. It was earlier in the season. I loved that game though,I still think that's the way to consistently beat Wisconsin...long versatile wings in Damian Johnson and Paul Carter really made life difficult for the Badgers.

On a separate note, I don't want to post in the thread to continue to give it publicity...but it's ridiculous that a poll about where Pitino will coach next year has been the top thread on this site today.

Top Bottom