U letter to fans says athletic dept will invest more in fans, details on Feb 27

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I received a postcard in the mail today from the U that reads:

"As we move forward into a new era of Gopher Athletics, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for investing in our programs. Through making a gift to support a facility project, through purchasing season tickets or through simply being a fan, you have invested to help provide more than 700 student-athletes with a first class experience. I am excited to say that we are going to invest more in you than ever before.

Look for an announcement on February 27 that will outline some of our new initiatives to invest more in you. We are excited about building the future of Gopher Athletics together with all ofyou.

Mark Coyle"

Go Gophers!!

I received the same post card. Anyone with any idea what this means? Any guesses?

Ditto from me too down here in Rochester.

A free tshirt for season ticket holders would be nice.

invest in tailgating and game day atmosphere

Guess I need to check my snail mail. Great head's up but it sure seems more email worthy than spending postage for something so vague.

Guess I need to check my snail mail. Great head's up but it sure seems more email worthy than spending postage for something so vague.

I think it's an effort to build some interest in what they are going to do. They surveyed season ticket holders last fall and asked us what we wanted. Now they are teasing the idea that there might be some changes in how they operate. Between work and personal e-mail accounts I get about 100 e-mails a day. My regular mail is 3-8 pieces. The post card is an expense, but for me it gets more attention than an e-mail would.

Plus, as we all know, the average age of a Gopher season ticket holder is like 95, so a lot of those people probably don't use e-mail. ;)

I believe it is an awards system they are setting up. If you are a season ticket holder you have access to "x" deals and discounts both with the U of M and its sponsors and access to specific game day experiences. If you purchase single game tickets you will have access to "y" discounts and deals. The more you buy or donate the more deals or experiences you unlock. At least that is what I heard they were looking into doing from someone in the offices a few months back.

I believe it is an awards system they are setting up. If you are a season ticket holder you have access to "x" deals and discounts both with the U of M and its sponsors and access to specific game day experiences. If you purchase single game tickets you will have access to "y" discounts and deals. The more you buy or donate the more deals or experiences you unlock. At least that is what I heard they were looking into doing from someone in the offices a few months back.

We'll have to see what they come up with...and how they decide who gets what deals/discounts. I've gone round and round with them on the current point system because they give more weight to multi-sport season ticket holders over those like me who buy multiple season tickets to one sport.

One thing that I included on the survey last fall was for them to understand, somehow, the concepts of:

1) Exclusivity for sport specific season ticket holders and
2) Longevity / Loyalty for sport specific season ticket holders.

Currently, as a soon to be 11th year ticket holder, I get a plastic Goldy's Locker Room Discount Card and Coupons in our season ticket holder books / ticket stubs. It's really embarrassing quite honestly. Check that.......I got 2 complimentary tickets to CSU for filling out a survey.

I suggested a number of things: Season ticket holder tailgate events, season ticket holders being invited to exclusive events done by the Athletic Department or Team.

I hope some sort of recognition/gift is given to anyone who kept tickets throughout the Brewster era. My god that was hard to watch at the end.

One thing that I included on the survey last fall was for them to understand, somehow, the concepts of:

1) Exclusivity for sport specific season ticket holders and
2) Longevity / Loyalty for sport specific season ticket holders.

Currently, as a soon to be 11th year ticket holder, I get a plastic Goldy's Locker Room Discount Card and Coupons in our season ticket holder books / ticket stubs. It's really embarrassing quite honestly. Check that.......I got 2 complimentary tickets to CSU for filling out a survey.

I suggested a number of things: Season ticket holder tailgate events, season ticket holders being invited to exclusive events done by the Athletic Department or Team.
Buck,
I've had tickets for nearly twice as long as you. Longevity has paid off as I also receive 10 cents off per gallon at Holiday. Of course it's not always an easy choice to hand over my souvenir Indiana State ticket stub.

Buck,
I've had tickets for nearly twice as long as you. Longevity has paid off as I also receive 10 cents off per gallon at Holiday. Of course it's not always an easy choice to hand over my souvenir Indiana State ticket stub.

Whaa??? When does the 10 cent thing kick in?

Coyle spent $7,000,000 this year to replace coaches.

Will he be able to give us at least a coupon?

My post on GI. Holiday $.10. Hell yeh man. I use it everyweek!

".....I am excited to say that we are going to invest more in you than ever before."

Now what would that investment(s) be?

Free tour of the stadium for ST holders? Reduced ST rates for those who buy ST's for more than one sport? Reduced ST rates for long time ST holders or other incentives? Reduce the donation and parking rates? Efforts to entice past time ST holders who folded? Probably none of the above.

How about live music on the plaza, beer gardens, less scrutiny of the tailgate lots, tailgate lots are a flat rate and early birds get the lots closest to TCF, activities to try and eumulate what the Vikings do, and............hold your breath.........the band marching down University Avenue! (Bad idea as that will never happen)

Maturi dangled the carrot with face painting and fun filled pre-game activities. That was a clinker. But he was mostly talk and couldn't relate to the average fan. Why do I have the same feeling with Coyle leading the charge? Probably because he has been absent and hiding under his desk.

Please surprise me/us Coyle. Please.

Point being........as a University...........you have people investing in your brand and product and they should get something that rewards them for their support. Everyone has different reasons why theay invest and many on this board, who have held tickets a heck of a lot longer than yours truly, get absolutely nothing in return other than the self satisfaction of supporting our great University. That mentality needs to change.

Chucking out the "fluff"... it is basically notifying us of the deadline for our money....

Top Bottom