RPI = 16

37score

Reaction score
RPI = 16 - EDIT - Make that 15!

This is the highest I've seen our RPI this late in the season.
It took a big jump up tonight about 7 spots depending on where you were looking.

EDIT:
Not sure if it was the OSU win over becky or what, but we moved up a spot in the RPI last night.

Mn = 15
Purdue = 17
Maryland = 22
Becky = 27

Tiny bubbles:
MSU = 43
NW = 44
Michigan = 52

Striking distance of bubble:
Illinois (new to the bubble) = 57

We are the top RPI team in the Big Ten now.

Minnesota 16
Purdue 17
Maryland 23
Wisconsin 24
Northwestern 43

My Minnesota Fan Syndrome is starting to flare up. I guess we are setting ourselves up for the biggest hose job in the history of the NCAA selection committee, right?

This is the highest I've seen our RPI this late in the season.
It took a big jump up tonight about 7 spots depending on where you were looking.

It couldn't hurt that Arkansas AND Vanderbilt, two of our Top 50 wins in ooc, both won as well.

That Arkansas win is looking better and better right now as well. RPI of 33 and they won tonight.

Big Wins for the Gophers:

UTA - 35
Arkansas - 34
Vandy - 48
Purdue - 17
Northwestern - 44
Maryland - 23

Also,
Illinois is up to 58 now
Michigan 51 on the bubble

RPI, SOS, record vs. top 50 & 100, road record... everything looks good right now!! Let's win 2 at home & beat wisc on the road!!

Gophers shot up 7 points in the Kenpom ratings with that win from 39 to 32. Almost all of the gains based on that offensive performance.

If they beat Penn State, I expect the Gophers to get big time votes in the polls.

If this keeps up, maybe 4-5 seed?

Right now, I think our absolute floor is a 6 seed with our SOS and number of quality wins. Win 2 of the next 3 and one game in the tourney, I'm thinking 5 seed. Ceiling is a 4 seed if we win the last 3 and get to BIG title game. All scenarios are realistic right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If they beat Penn State, I expect the Gophers to get big time votes in the polls.

If this keeps up, maybe 4-5 seed?

To get a 4 seed they would have to win out and probably win 2 game in the B1G tourney. 5 seed probably could get away with just 1 B1G win

After our Michigan win, Lunardi dropped us one seed. Will he have us as a 9 or 10 seed now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Penn State and we should be ranked.
Hard to ignore a team with an RPI around 15-16.

Not only should the be ranked, but I think they could jump from out of the polls to top 20.

If that happens, 4-5 seeds are likely.

And in the end, the 4 and 5 seeds are essentially the same seed. You play each other in round 2 either way.

5 wins over the RPI top 50 and the only thing that's remotely close to a bad loss is at Penn State. Think about that for a split second.

Purdue played largely terrible last night and almost laid an egg at Penn State. Enjoy the win, but get back to work tomorrow. Beat Penn State and Nebraska at home, and regardless of Wisconsin the double-bye in the Big Ten is absolutely in play. Northwestern is at Indiana and still faces Michigan and Purdue, they could easily lose all 3 to go 9-9.

Beating Penn State gives the Gophers their first winning Big 10 season in 10 years. They were picked 13th before the season started. They'll likely be, at worst, 23-8 and 11-7 entering the Big Ten Tourney. Most of all, there is no longer stress on Selection Sunday. The Gophers are dancing. What a huge night for Gopher basketball.

Right now, I think our absolute floor is a 6 seed with our SOS and number of quality wins. Win 2 of the next 3 and one game in the tourney, I'm thinking 5 seed. Ceiling is a 4 seed if we win the last 3 and get to BIG title game. All scenarios are realistic right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not sure why you think a #4 seed is the Gopher's ceiling? Purdue is seen by most as a #3 seed right now, and we beat them in their house.

And Minnesota's resume is shaping up to look just as good as the big 3 of UW-Mary-Purdue, if not better.

And finishing out 11-1 will require a win AT Wisconsin, and a neutral court win vs either Wisconsin or Maryland most likely.

That would give Minnesota a ROAD WIN vs every one of the Top 5 teams in the B1G conf, minus us of course.

Outside observers would look at the B1G conf and they would say that Minnesota is the best team in the conference, or at least almost as good as Purdue, if we lose to Purdue in the BTT title game. But then maybe Purdue gets bumped up to a #2 seed or maybe Purdue and the Gophers get #3 seeds?

And nothing says we can't go 12-0 and win the BTT. So would we still then only be able to climb as high as #4?

If you look at the bracketmatrix, BEFORE we beat Maryland on the road, there were several brackets that had us as a #6 seed. A win like this one vs Maryland, and by a very comfortable score, on the road, will convince a lot of people that were previously non-believers or just not yet sure about the Gophers, that they are for real.

Before we even win the last 6 games, we'll move up to a solid #6 seed and those brackets that had us as a #6 already, will surely move us up to a #5. We might even be a consensus #5. So add on 6 more wins, including a road game vs Wisconsin and 2 wins in the semis and final of the BTT vs, more than likely, 2 of the big 3, and you think we'd only move up another seed or two?

Don't let the snub of Wisconsin from the Top 16 when it came out fool you, they didn't deserve being in the Top 16 at that time.

We just need to win the next game first. No gimme's in the big ten. This penn state game will not be a cake walk. Nor will Nebraska.

We just need to win the next game first. No gimme's in the big ten. This penn state game will not be a cake walk. Nor will Nebraska.

Very true, I said the same thing in the realistic expectations thread when things weren't looking great. Hopefully the team is only focused on the next game and not reading all of our projections! (But it's sure fun to think about it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And in the end, the 4 and 5 seeds are essentially the same seed. You play each other in round 2 either way.

You'll almost always be playing a much better team as a 5 seed than as a 4 seed. In fact, I would argue that the jump from 5 to 4 is the single biggest 1-seed difference of any. As a 5, you're probably going to play one of the last at-larges in the tournament, a low-level power 5 or really good mid-major. A 12 wins at least one game almost every year (I believe their winning percentage against 5s is almost 40%), and 12 seeds make the Sweet 16 fairly frequently. The 13 seeds are usually the best of the also-rans, and in many cases wouldn't even make the Tournament if it were all at-large selections. I believe that a 13 has made the Sweet 16 only 6 times.

And then, because so many 12s win 1st round games, you're pretty likely to be playing a much worse team in the 2nd round as a 4 than you are as a 5.

Finally, as a 4, you're protected against being in the same region as the other top 3 teams in your conference, which is not the case for a 5.

In summary, there is a pretty significant difference between the 4 and 5 seeds.

You'll almost always be playing a much better team as a 5 seed than as a 4 seed. In fact, I would argue that the jump from 5 to 4 is the single biggest 1-seed difference of any. As a 5, you're probably going to play one of the last at-larges in the tournament, a low-level power 5 or really good mid-major. A 12 wins at least one game almost every year (I believe their winning percentage against 5s is almost 40%), and 12 seeds make the Sweet 16 fairly frequently. The 13 seeds are usually the best of the also-rans, and in many cases wouldn't even make the Tournament if it were all at-large selections. I believe that a 13 has made the Sweet 16 only 6 times.

And then, because so many 12s win 1st round games, you're pretty likely to be playing a much worse team in the 2nd round as a 4 than you are as a 5.

Finally, as a 4, you're protected against being in the same region as the other top 3 teams in your conference, which is not the case for a 5.

Agree.

First round matters, and playing a 13 is definitely better than 12 which is either the last at large or one of the top for small conference Champions.

I'm a big fan of 6 because you avoid #1 longer, but... 4-5 means you've got a better shot for the Sweet Sixteen.

This post piqued my curiosity, so I dug in a little bit, but just a little bit, as Wikipedia was my source of info:

* 26 #13 seeds have defeated #4 seeds
* 46 #12 seeds have defeated #5 seeds
* 46 #11 seeds have defeated #6 seeds

* 6 #13 seeds have made the Sweet Sixteen
* 20 #12 seeds
* 19 #11 seeds

Being a #5 or 6 seed is a wash; as dpo states, it's been pretty significant to find yourself as a 4 seed (or above) historically.

This post piqued my curiosity, so I dug in a little bit, but just a little bit, as Wikipedia was my source of info:

* 26 #13 seeds have defeated #4 seeds
* 46 #12 seeds have defeated #5 seeds
* 46 #11 seeds have defeated #6 seeds

* 6 #13 seeds have made the Sweet Sixteen
* 20 #12 seeds
* 19 #11 seeds

Being a #5 or 6 seed is a wash; as dpo states, it's been pretty significant to find yourself as a 4 seed (or above) historically.

I think the true seeding plays out more for the deeper runs though.
More 11's in final four than 12's?

I think the true seeding plays out more for the deeper runs though.
More 11's in final four than 12's?

Yes, being a #11 seed has been significantly better than falling into the #12 seed or #10 seed; only 1 #12 seed has won a sweet sixteen game, while 6 #11 seeds have won their sweet sixteen game with three of those teams advancing to the Final Four. Meanwhile, only 1 #10 seed has made it to the Final Four.

Top Bottom