I hereby proclaim

jamalo

Banned
Reaction score
This team is comparable to the 1989-90 Elite 8 team that should have beat Georgia Tech. No true star like Willie Burton but similar complimentary players and much more depth

I love it. And a Lynch doing big things.

I'm not ready to go that far, but I do see one thing in common:

amirrichardcoffey.jpg

Go Coffey!!

The casual pull up NBA 3 by Melvin Newbern late in the game against Kansas State in the 89-90 NCAA is still one of my favorite all time Gopher plays

We need more posts that begin "I hereby proclaim."

It would be interesting to match them up: 89-90 starters may prevail but current depth would dominate:

Mason vs. Newbern (advantage Mason?)
Springs/Dupree: vs. Lynch (advantage Lynch?)
Coffey vs. Burton: (advantage Burton (at this point)
Murphy vs. Coffey: (I'm going to say draw....)
Lynch/Curry vs Shik: (leaning former because of defensive aspect)

Main 89-90 subs were:
-Walter Bond (good 6th man, great motivational speaker, and good GI troll)
-Bob Martin (great play against Syracuse, otherwise not so much)
-Rob Metcalf (no)
-Connell Lewis (no; no offense)
-Nate Tubbs (good contributor later on)

1989-90 team can't come close to the bench on the current team. 97-98 comparison is better when they had Quincy and Charles Thomas coming off the bench

It would be interesting to match them up: 89-90 starters may prevail but current depth would dominate:

Mason vs. Newbern (advantage Mason?)
Springs/Dupree: vs. Lynch (advantage Lynch?)
Coffey vs. Burton: (advantage Burton (at this point)
Murphy vs. Coffey: (I'm going to say draw....)
Lynch/Curry vs Shik: (leaning former because of defensive aspect)

I can't do bench right now but I believe it is no comparison in favor of the current team

It would be remiss to not mention the sixth man... Walter Bond in these comparisons.

Mason vs Newbern - closest of the matchup. I lean Mason.
Springs / Dupree vs Lynch - I got with the short time NBA'er
Coffey vs Burton - not close... nothing against Coffey, toughest draw.
Murphy vs Coffey - Right now Coffey. But Murphy in two years might be better than Coffey was.
Lynch vs Shik - I'll go Shik.
Curry / Konate vs Bond - Walter Bond soundly

The similarity I see is not with the 89-90 team, but the 88-89 team.

But only in that they were coming off a horrible season the year before, and improved a great deal, going from 4-14 to 7-7.

Sure, this team has improved from 2-16 to 9-6 so far, could end up with 11-7 or 12-6 record, along with the 5 road wins, being more similar to the 89-90 team's record, but remember, those two late 80s teams had to play against several Top Ten ranked teams, including at least one #1 ranked team, that we beat in the barn in 1989, Illinois. This season the B1G is simply weaker.

But that 88-89 team rose up from a horrible season, and the best part was how much of that team was coming back in 89-90. That is the similarity I see.

Can't say I see big resemblance in the teams but thrilled if we have similar success.

again, go player by player; I laid it out. Other than Burton, I don't think it is a stretch and the difference in depth can't be disputed IMO

Top Bottom