Pitino for Big Ten Coach of the Year?

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
We're now in the driver's seat to finish ahead of Northwestern. If we get the 4 seed in the BTT, Pitino has to be coach of the year right?

I don't see how you can't give it to Pitino. To go from 2 wins to a potential top 4 finish in the B1G is pretty amazing

I don't see how he is not. He could be National Coach of the Year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't see this coming. His recruiting, his ability to outcoach some really good coaches, team results/improvement, and how he handles himself. He deserves Big Ten and National Coach of the Year.

I think Ed Conroy may just be in line for another head coaching role again.

I was cool on Pitino after that five game skid. There's a lot of words I'm eating right now.

I think Mr. Pitino is safely the leader right now. Let's get the $$ out and secure him.

yeah easily in my opinion, and has to be in the discussion at the national level as well.

Stating the obvious, but as a coach you win with talent. It's a lot easier to execute with good players. Pitino is showing that he can recruit talent under less-than optimal circumstances. Here's to hoping some more stud recruits take notice and jump on this train! Pitino winning coach-of-the-year wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stating the obvious, but as a coach you win with talent. It's a lot easier to execute with good players. Pitino is showing that he can recruit talent under less-than optimal circumstances. Here's to hoping some more stud recruits take notice and jump on this train! Pitino winning coach-of-the-year wouldn't hurt.

Well said. 100% agree.

B1G coach of the year is between him and Collins. Pitino deserves it IMO, but getting NW to 1st ever NCAA's probably tops it. National coach of the year is a bit over the top. That almost always goes to a top 5 or top 10 team.

B1G coach of the year is between him and Collins. Pitino deserves it IMO, but getting NW to 1st ever NCAA's probably tops it. National coach of the year is a bit over the top. That almost always goes to a top 5 or top 10 team.

Fine, B1G Conf Coach of the Year this year, Natl Coach of the Year next year. :)

But seriously, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't be given consideration for National Coach of the Year this year? When do they give the award, before or after the NCAA tourney? If it is before, well then I think he's got a chance. If its after the tourney, then I's say he will have to get at least to the Sweet 16 to win the Award.

OR, if he somehow gets the team to win out including winning the B1G Conf Tourney Title, then he could win it as well if its given out before the NCAA tourney.

Who else nationally do you think would be considered?

Collins is out of COY race if Wildcats don't to get to 11 B1G wins. It's gotta be Pitino or Painter. Both very deserving.

If Gonzaga finishes the regular season undefeated I would think Mark Few would be recognized as National Coach of the Year since he never has received that award. After losing 4 starters from last year including Sabonis & Wiltjer to the NBA & integrating a lot of new faces this year he's done a great job. With that said Pitino is right in the mix this year as well he's done a great job.

They showed on tv that Gophers were the most improved team in NCAA. I was at the bar so I didn't hear the commentary, if that's true he has to be in the running for both COY awards.

All they need to do is win the big dance, that will deal it for him.

We're now in the driver's seat to finish ahead of Northwestern. If we get the 4 seed in the BTT, Pitino has to be coach of the year right?

Driver seat with NW, still have to finish ahead of Sparty, the win last night goes a long way, can't give away a home game. Pitino may be a national coach of the year candidate considering he has a shot to triple his team's win total from last year

What a difference a week makes:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The coach of every team that makes it into the Final 8.

So, some coach like Calipari, whose team probably started out ranked Top 5? Even if UK was ranked #9, and they get into the Elite 8, and then lose, that's more impressive than Pitino leading the GREATEST TURNAROUND IN NCAA HISTORY??

You thought you were so clever with your response, but I was being serious and asking a serious question. Who out there is doing a truly amazing job with their program, to the point that they are already being noticed? Someone mentioned Mark Few, unfortunately after he mentioned him Mark Few's team lost. But Gonzaga could still do well in the Dance and get him back into serious consideration.

Sorry watertown 1987 guy n, I'm not trying to diss you, but your response wasn't even that clever or funny. Why don't you post a serious response? Maybe you have no clue? No crime in that.

Actually I wasn't trying to be funny. But my answer was incomplete. I agree, it would take more than a Final 8 for the coach of Duck, NC, Kansas, Villanova, Louisville and couple others to for the coach to be considered - probably requires a win for these. But most other schools, a Final-8 finish and the coach likely gets serious consideration.

These come to mind.
Steve Alford, UCLA
Mark Few, Gonz.
Matt Painter, Purdue
Mick Cronin, Cinci
Mike Brey, ND
Scott Drew, Baylor

Here is my prediction. MN makes it to Sweet 16, Pitino likely wins. If he doesn't, whichever of UCLA, Gonzaga, Purdue, Cinci, ND and Baylor goes the deepest into the tournament, that coach gets it - assuming these all dont lose out quickly.

So, some coach like Calipari, whose team probably started out ranked Top 5? Even if UK was ranked #9, and they get into the Elite 8, and then lose, that's more impressive than Pitino leading the GREATEST TURNAROUND IN NCAA HISTORY??

Dude calm down. We're all excited but relax a bit. Also use Facts not Alternative facts (Lies known or unknown). Indiana went from 12-20 to 27-9 in 2010-2012 We could beat that still but we arn't there yet. But even that is not the biggest BIG turnaround. Ohio state went from 8-22 in 1997-98 to 27-9 with a final four in 1998-99. There are others I didn't list but the +14 we have right now is not quite enough to claim what your just claimed.

http://www.startribune.com/biggest-turnarounds-in-division-i-college-basketball/400787511/

http://dev.realclearsports.com/lists/turnarounds_ncaa_basketball/

Dude calm down. We're all excited but relax a bit. Also use Facts not Alternative facts (Lies known or unknown). Indiana went from 12-20 to 27-9 in 2010-2012 We could beat that still but we arn't there yet. But even that is not the biggest BIG turnaround. Ohio state went from 8-22 in 1997-98 to 27-9 with a final four in 1998-99. There are others I didn't list but the +14 we have right now is not quite enough to claim what your just claimed.

http://www.startribune.com/biggest-turnarounds-in-division-i-college-basketball/400787511/

Safe to say it's the biggest turnaround this year though, right?

Safe to say it's the biggest turnaround this year though, right?

Thats definitely true and win out (+16) plus a few games in the BIG tourney (+18) plus a sweet 16 run(+20) and we would be the biggest turnaround based on improvement in wins year over year.

I'm plenty calm Dude. And its not an alternative fact or a lie, as I was giving an example of what MIGHT happen, I was proposing a hypothetical situation. Reading comprehension is a useful tool before falsely accusing someone of lying or posting alternative facts.

And 19 more wins but only 13 fewer losses for OSU in 98 to 99 is a 16 game difference, the record is 17.5, as was posted in one of the threads here, an article was posted talking about the record. And since the tournament OBVIOUSLY hasn't started yet, my example of Calipari getting Kentucky only to the Elite 8 going into the tourney with a #9 ranking OBVIOUSLY also hasn't happened yet, DUH. Predicting what MIGHT happen in the future, the Gophers getting to the point of having an 18 win/loss difference from last year, OBVIOUSLY is not a lie or an alternative fact, so I would appreciate it if you would understand what you are responding to before calling me a liar. OK? Is that too much to ask?

And did you say UMn is at a 14 game difference? It's actually a 15 game difference since both wins and losses are taken into account. 14 more wins and 16 fewer losses average out to a 15 game difference, so UMn is a 3 game difference away. Which would require our going 4-1 to finish out the season, or 5-2. So the Gophers still have a ton of work to do to accomplish this goal, and the only way they can accomplish the goal without first meeting what he thought were the requirements, the Gophers getting to the Sweet 16 or any team getting to the Elite 8, would be if we won out, vs our pre-NCAA tourney schedule, meaning beating Nebraska and Wisconsin and then all 3 of our games in the B1G Conf tourney. Then we could lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA tourney and still break the record. So that is the one and only scenario that would force the tough decision that I was challenging him to. If we lose between now and the end of the B1G Conf tourney, then we have to win 2 to 3 games in the NCAA tourney, which would make it a moot point.

And I'm pleased that I posted what I did to him because I got the information, the response from him I wanted. And his response actually makes this a moot point, as I said above.

Well watertown 1987 guy,

I liked your last response. That is what I was looking for, thank you. And crunching the numbers, its going to be tougher to break that record than I thought, since both wins and losses are taking into account.

8-23 last year
22-7 so far this year. Without winning a Natl Title, 1 more loss is guaranteed, because winning a Natl Title makes this whole discussion moot, right?

So 14 more wins, and 16 fewer losses has us at a +15 right now, and 17.5 is the current record. Each additional win then gets us .5 closer and like I said, without winning a Natl Title AND the B1G Conf Tourney title, we're guaranteed to lose at least one more game, probably two without the Conf tourney title and every loss drops us back .5

So splitting our next 2 games leaves us 2.5 back from tying the record and 3 back from breaking the record.

So many scenarios to consider. Splitting the next 2 and going 2-1 in the B1G Conf Tourney gains us only .5, so we'd have to get to the Natl Title Game to tie the record.

Splitting the next 2 and going 3-0 in the Big Conf Tourney gains us 1.5, so we'd have to get to the get to the Elite 8 to tie the record and Final Four to break the record.

Winning the next 2 and going 2-1 in the Big Conf Tourney gains us 1.5, so same as above. Elite 8 to tie, and FF to break the record.

Winning the next 2 and going 3-0 in the Big Conf Tourney gains us 2.5, so we'd have to get to the 2nd round to tie the record and to the Sweet 16 to break the record.

This shows how important it is to win out and win the B1G Conf tourney if we want Pitino to win National Coach of the Year without having to get to the Elite 8. Not that I don't want him to get there, but I just think it will be a lot easier to win the B1G Conf Tourney Title than it will be to get to the Elite 8.

I'm plenty calm Dude. And its not an alternative fact or a lie, as I was giving an example of what MIGHT happen, I was proposing a hypothetical situation. Reading comprehension is a useful tool before falsely accusing someone of lying or posting alternative facts.

That wasn't at all clear. Anyway I stated in my 2nd post that I was judging this strictly off changes in wins. Looks like we both need to listen(read better) before opening our mouths(typing crap). Also please realize that some of your posts are slightly if not fully insulting to people. Sorry I insulted you by saying you were posting alternative facts.

Top Bottom