Ole Miss is on FIRE

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
So years a go Ole Miss started to bring in inexplicably good recruits at a crazy clip. Everyone pretty much knew what was up, but I didn't think we'd ever find out exactly how it was done, but I guess we will now.

The NCAA threw down another set of allegations on Ole Miss recently and the result has been pretty amazing.

Ole Miss put out a YouTube video with the AD, another administrator, and HC Hugh Freeze. They list the charges and admit to several of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYWyz3cwSPE

Ole Miss has put in place a self imposed 2017 bowl ban.

The NCAA says some former recruits who went to other schools are cooperating.

One story is that a coach helped a booster provide $13,000-15,000 in benefits, and the recruit he still went to another school. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ol...d-thousands-dollars-players-signed-elsewhere/

Other rumors are getting kinda bonkers: https://twitter.com/MattieLouC/status/834535713894965248

Penn St pretty much got off easy and only paid for a year or two for child molestation ... I expect same ease and lifting of punishment for Ole Miss. If this sounds lame...tough sh$t.

Penn St pretty much got off easy and only paid for a year or two for child molestation ... I expect same ease and lifting of punishment for Ole Miss. If this sounds lame...tough sh$t.

And North Carolina basketball created fake classes for how many years and no penalty?

Milo Yiannopoulos has been hired by the University of Mississippi to reach out to younger players.

The seven additional charges against the Rebels include:

• A former student-athlete was allowed to hunt on property owned by a booster while he was being recruited by the Rebels and then again on a few occasions after he enrolled at Ole Miss.

• From March 2014 to January 2015, a former Ole Miss staff member provided improper recruiting inducements in the form of lodging and transportation to two prospects who enrolled at other institutions. The NCAA said the improper benefits were valued at $2,272.

• A former Ole Miss staff member committed unethical conduct by providing false and misleading information to the university and the NCAA about his involvement in the recruiting violations.

• A former Ole Miss staff member arranged for a recruit to receive cash payments from two boosters totaling $13,000 to $15,600.

• A former staff member arranged for the associate of a recruit to receive merchandise from a store owned by a booster, and two other prospects received goods from the same store totaling about $2,800.

• In 2014, a current Ole Miss football coach made improper in-person, off-campus contact with a football prospect.

• A booster provided free food and drinks to a recruit at the booster's restaurant, totaling between $200 and $600 in improper benefits.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rebels-self-impose-1-year-postseason-ban-2017

"• A former staff member arranged for the associate of a recruit to receive merchandise from a store owned by a booster, and two other prospects received goods from the same store totaling about $2,800."

Wasn't Wisconsin guilty of this as well when Alvarez was coach? I thought it was pretty much any Badger athlete got free or significantly discounted shoes from a sporting goods store in Wisconsin. I believe the Athletic department was put on probation.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2001/10/02/shoe-box-decision-ha/

Penn St. had criminal troubles, not NCAA ones. The NCAA overreached by doing anything at all.

And North Carolina basketball created fake classes for how many years and no penalty?

The investigation is ongoing. Of course UNC is doing everything in their power to stretch it out as long as possible, but it would be pretty amazing if they get off scot-free.

The investigation is ongoing. Of course UNC is doing everything in their power to stretch it out as long as possible, but it would be pretty amazing if they get off scot-free.

How long has that investigation been ongoing. Seems like forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first notice of allegations came from the NCAA in May 2015, then a second (revised) edition in April 2016, and finally a third in late December 2016. UNC has 90 days to respond to that (so March 21 or so) and then they'll move on to hearings, discipline, etc. assuming no new notices are filed, which restarts the process each time.

Compare the time taken to the late 90's BB scandal at MN. How long did it take for MN to fall on the sword?

Notice any differences?

Compare the time taken to the late 90's BB scandal at MN. How long did it take for MN to fall on the sword?

Notice any differences?

The Pioneer Press article was released in March 1999 and the NCAA's findings were released in October 2000. That's a time period of about 19 months. We're currently about 21 months out from the first NCAA allegations against UNC. That's a difference of 2 months, not significant to people not pushing an agenda.

Minnesota chose to impose its own sanctions. They didn't have to do that. UNC doesn't have to either, and they aren't.

all of this pales in comparison with what penn st covered up...

Couldn't agree more. The whole situation too to bottom at penn St still gives me the creeps. I'm a little sad to see this happen to ole miss (but they deserve e the consequences). About 20 years ago I went to a home game there and tailgater on the grove on a complete whim. The fans were amazing and I met quite a few of them. I always thought I'd love to see their level of investment in the gophers from a fan perspective.

Couldn't agree more. The whole situation too to bottom at penn St still gives me the creeps. I'm a little sad to see this happen to ole miss (but they deserve e the consequences). About 20 years ago I went to a home game there and tailgater on the grove on a complete whim. The fans were amazing and I met quite a few of them. I always thought <b>I'd love to see their level of investment in the gophers from a fan perspective.</b>

Sadly, this is true for so many teams. I have been to a lot of CFB games on other campuses and I am almost always jealous of the atmosphere they have.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...mississippi-state-down-with-it-in-ncaa-probe/

As we know, a key charge against Ole Miss was the Rebels’ attempted payment of a sum between $13,000 and $15,000 to a recruit that ultimately signed with Mississippi State, and the Rebels’ response was to turn around and bring their Egg Bowl rivals down with them.

According to Neal McCready’s inside-the-program accounting of the process for Rebel Grove, Ole Miss has a recording of Leo Lewis‘s mother asking other programs for money:

“Ole Miss, per multiple sources, possesses a recording, and has given the SEC a copy, of Lewis’ mother asking Ole Miss for money and detailing incentives she received from other programs, including Mississippi State.”

Visited Columbus in the fall of 1987 and found out what fan support was all about. Gophers were getting killed and we tired of the slaughter. Walked to a local hotel/bar and asked the bartender to put the Twin's world series game on a television off in a corner of the room. He obliged. About 5 minutes later people were yelling to get that s**t off and put the Buckeyes back on. There were maybe 25 televisions in the room. We moved on.

Seems like a decent investment so far. Comparing 2016 to 2012, they've seen football ticket revenues go up $6M, football-related program/concessions/parking revenue go up $862K, and contributions to the football program go up by over $13M. They'll lose out on next year's bowl revenue and still come out (well) ahead for the time being.

No way they got the recruits immediately with the mostly low level violations outlined here. there had to be more of the ones like the $13k payment to cause that much improvement.

Top Bottom