All Things Oregon State Road Trip

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I have heard from a number of Gopher fans who are making this trip to beautiful Oregon for what should be a great weekend and game.

Our group has our plane tickets and hotels booked!!

We are hoping to pull of an awesome double-header as Nebraska plays at Oregon the same day we play at Oregon State and we anticipate our game will be a day game, and the Neb/Oregon game will be a night game. Only 50 miles from Corvallis to Eugene.

Who else is going?

Go Gophers!!

For those familiar with Corvallis (re: looking at you beavergopher!) what are the best things to do in the city, around campus, best bars, restaurants, etc.

Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

If you're headed to Corvallis and have an extra couple days, head north into the heart of wine country. You will not regret it, particularly if you enjoy a good Pinot Noir. I was out there a few years ago on my honeymoon, some of my favorite stops:

Stoller (about an hour north)
Elk Cove (hour and a half)
Yamhill Valley (hour)
J Wrigley (hour)
Domaine Serene (hour fifteen)
Illahe (forty minutes)

McMinnville is a town right around all of these that's a good stopping place. Lots of little shops and restaurants and a good home base if you're doing the wine country.

We are planning on making this trip too. A night in Portland and a night or two on the coast would be really fun.

Can confirm: Yamhill Valley is gorgeous and has great wine.

Early plans are to fly into Seattle and spend a day/night. Drive to Portland and stay day/night. Drive to game and back to Portland to fly back home. Hoping the game start time makes all of this possible.

I've got a room booked at the University Inn / Corvallis. Expecting to spend night there and a night in Portland.

Hopefully Sun Country's fares are pretty reasonable.

I've got a room booked at the University Inn / Corvallis. Expecting to spend night there and a night in Portland.

Hopefully Sun Country's fares are pretty reasonable.

All airlines including SC at around $400. That will only go up. Portland airport is expensive to land at.

I'm planning on spending the whole week in the Portland area, but I haven't zeroed in on exactly what I want to do, other than visit the neighborhood I grew up in. There are so many options, which is part of what makes Oregon one of the best places to visit in the country.

It's been 20+ years since I was last in Corvallis, but back then it was a very sleepy college town. I was too young to ever experience the nightlife though, so I'd be curious about recommendations. Just from looking at Google Maps, I see a couple of brewpubs in the downtown area.

Trying to convince a Husker fan to join our group and pull off the doubleheader in Eugene, but obviously that depends on kickoff times.

I may be in Seattle for a job (still waiting to hear back), if I am, I am strongly considering making the trip to this game. Have to look at the logistics though, I'd likely drive, so if its a morning game I have to decide if I drive down after work friday, or super early saturday morning.

Can confirm: Yamhill Valley is gorgeous and has great wine.

I had the best experience there. They had their pinot blanc on sale for like $50/case. It was retailing near us for ~$16 a bottle.

We ordered 4 cases and had 'em shipped :clap:

And then the person working the tasting room recommended J Wrigley (where her brother worked) and we hung out with the winemakers eating some of their homemade salmon spread and tasting wine on another gorgeous property. Incredible.

All airlines including SC at around $400. That will only go up. Portland airport is expensive to land at.

I booked RT direct flights from MSP to Portland in late December for this game for $290.

Go Gophers!!

If you're headed to Corvallis and have an extra couple days, head north into the heart of wine country. You will not regret it, particularly if you enjoy a good Pinot Noir. I was out there a few years ago on my honeymoon, some of my favorite stops:

Yamhill Valley (hour)
J Wrigley (hour)
Illahe (forty minutes)

McMinnville is a town right around all of these that's a good stopping place. Lots of little shops and restaurants and a good home base if you're doing the wine country.

Yes Willamette is about an hour and 20 minutes north.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Distance+from+Corvallis+to+Williamette%2C+Or&oq=Distance+from+Corvallis+to+Williamette%2C+Or&aqs=chrome..69i57.48422j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Distance+from+Corvallis+to+Willamette,+Or

Correction, They are in Newburg, Or(which is in the Willamette valley region of Oregon.
Half of Raptor Ridge is a Saint Paul transplant.

http://www.raptorridgewinery.com/

They make very good wine. Not too easy to find in our metro area. Starretts, maybe Total Wine?

BTW a Shameless plug for a former classmate.

If we can pull it off, we'll fly from Billings to Portland Thursday PM and drive to Corvallis for a long weekend. Hoping to get some friends from MN to join us as we did 2 years ago for CSU in Ft. Collins.

Oh man this is gonna be an awesome trip be---- damn it still got kids... ****

Not as bad as it used to be. SC only recently started offering flights to PDX.

Booking flights 7+ months ahead of time is usually foolish, but to each their own.

Flew there in the last two months. Under $250 round trip. Connection through SLC.

I booked RT direct flights from MSP to Portland in late December for this game for $290.

Go Gophers!!

Yep...I think finding something for around $300 is entirely reasonable with good timing and a bit of luck.

I'm planning on spending the whole week in the Portland area, but I haven't zeroed in on exactly what I want to do, other than visit the neighborhood I grew up in. There are so many options, which is part of what makes Oregon one of the best places to visit in the country.

It's been 20+ years since I was last in Corvallis, but back then it was a very sleepy college town. I was too young to ever experience the nightlife though, so I'd be curious about recommendations. Just from looking at Google Maps, I see a couple of brewpubs in the downtown area.

Trying to convince a Husker fan to join our group and pull off the doubleheader in Eugene, but obviously that depends on kickoff times.

Taproom tours. Microbreweries galore. Deschutes has a large Brewpub DT that's well worth visiting, and there's probably 5 more within walking distance. Vancouver WA has six or eight as well.

The Evergreen Air Museum is in McMinnville. The Spruce Goose is there. They also have a water park.

Portland is about an hour and a half north. Portland has a number of fun neighborhoods, brew pubs, food carts.
The Cascades are easily accessed from Portland and Corvalis and thd coast is about an hour west of both locations.

If you road trip, go through the Columbia Gorge at least once.

I am less than an hour north of Portland. If you base in Portland, a day trip to St Helens is easy from Portland and well worth it.

All sorts of stuff within an hour of Portland. Tpo much to mention grom my phone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yamhill Valley (hour)
J Wrigley (hour)
Illahe (forty minutes)

I agree with you completely! If you're coming all the way out here and are a wine lover it would be sinful to not experience the Pinot produced here. Chardonnay is also extraordinary at a few select vineyards- and not the insipid butter filled California style- it's more fruit and mineral driven like burgundy.

Closest appellation to Corvallis is Eola-amity hills appellation which also houses several great wineries- Bethel Heights and Cristom are both great examples of the darker fruit style of Pinot.

If you're going to the Dundee Red Hills appellation to visit Dm Serene (great juice) I would humbly suggest going to Purple Hands in Dundee- made by Ken Wright's son Cody. Plenty of other suggestions if anyone is interested just message me.

Look forward to hearing more from the group as far as coming out here. It'll be great to meet many of you pre-game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raindog. Nice job.
The Columbia Gorge is the must do. Spectacular.
Pearl District for brewpubs and food in Portland. Deschutes Brewpub is always my first stop after landing in Portland.
Newport is a great place on the coast with an awesome harbor bridge designed by a former OSU engineering prof. Great seafood, but be prepared for cold winds. Hour west of Corvallis.
Evergreen Air Museum is fantastic.
The one thing to plan ahead for is the traffic on I 5 going south on game day. It will be a parking lot with a game in Eugene the same day. Allocate a lot more time if you are driving down from Portland game day.
The equivalent B1G town would be Iowa City, but with much better scenery and great craft beer.
There are some nice brewpubs in the downtown. The campus is very pretty and worth a stroll on game day. The football practice facility is set up as a beer/ food garden on game day. It is right across the street from the stadium. I make it out for one or two games a year, depending on the Goph's home schedule.

Raindog. Nice job.
The Columbia Gorge is the must do. Spectacular.
Pearl District for brewpubs and food in Portland. Deschutes Brewpub is always my first stop after landing in Portland.
Newport is a great place on the coast with an awesome harbor bridge designed by a former OSU engineering prof. Great seafood, but be prepared for cold winds. Hour west of Corvallis.
Evergreen Air Museum is fantastic.
The one thing to plan ahead for is the traffic on I 5 going south on game day. It will be a parking lot with a game in Eugene the same day. Allocate a lot more time if you are driving down from Portland game day.
The equivalent B1G town would be Iowa City, but with much better scenery and great craft beer.
There are some nice brewpubs in the downtown. The campus is very pretty and worth a stroll on game day. The football practice facility is set up as a beer/ food garden on game day. It is right across the street from the stadium. I make it out for one or two games a year, depending on the Goph's home schedule.

I was born in Portland and still have shirttail relatives in Canby. When I was traveling for business I had Portland and Seattle for a territory for several years. In Portland I always stayed at the Marriott downtown over looking the Willamette River. Lots of things to do within walking distance.

I'll be there with my brother and sister I law (she's a beaver). If you like beer - Portland is great. Portland is pretty cool even without the beer

Brandon Dunes golf courses are on my golfing bucket list: http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses

Bandon is phenomenal indeed- on the way down try Sandpines in Florence- little jewel of a course.

Otherwise the area around Bend is home to about 20 great courses including Pronghorn, Tetherow and my favorite Oregon course Crosswater- was host to one of the Senior Tours majors for several years and is unbelievably picturesque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, you guys are johnny-on-the-spot with these away game plans. I usually don't start planning away trips until summer. Though that may be why I end up sleeping in my car.

Man, you guys are johnny-on-the-spot with these away game plans. I usually don't start planning away trips until summer. Though that may be why I end up sleeping in my car.

We plan trips for the following season while the current one is still going. Booking hotels a year in advance in necessary for some of these places with high demand, like Penn State or Nebraska. You can always cancel later if you can't make it.

Top Bottom