All Things Oregon State Road Trip

Hey All, this is gordonb. We're the Gopher fans from Utah. Ended up with a sweet shady tailgate spot in the Crop Science Lot on 30th St. Right next to a large field. Stop by for a hot dog and a beverage! Maroon F-150

Awesome- I'll bring some of Oregon's finest for u to enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McMenamins is packed with Maroon & Gold. Great to see!

Hey All, this is gordonb. We're the Gopher fans from Utah. Ended up with a sweet shady tailgate spot in the Crop Science Lot on 30th St. Right next to a large field. Stop by for a hot dog and a beverage! Maroon F-150

Thanks for the update! We will be there in about 15 min

We've got 18 Gophers at the lot on 27th and Orchard. $15 tailgate lot with room for plenty more.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Dry stadium, unless you had a pass to the club lounge. Too many drunk fans in the past is what I was told by a security lady

Gopher fans were mocking that chainsaw too. Super annoying noise. Wasnt sure if TV would pick it up.

Did the "Who hates Iowa" chant get picked up on TV?

Also was surprised how many fans were there. It was a decent turnout. The beaver fan next to me was like "You guys travel real well!" which was met by me telling him this was unusual for us. I figured it was bolstered by the Alumni bases in Portland and Seattle showing up in force. Also a bit of PJ Fleck help too.

I just bought a tailgate/parking space through OSU. Pretty slick site and I thought it was worth $2.50 to know exactly where I'm parking days before I get there and know that there will be a spot for me.

oregonstate.clickandpark.com/

I bought a parking pass through the Oregon State athletic department and get to the lot I paid for to find out it "wasn't valid." We laughed like, "ha ha, gopher fans can't park here" but no, she wasn't going to let us in because she said it was a cash only lot. We eventually agreed to park there but she said to not find her if our car gets towed. Complete BS since we paid the extra $2.50 in advance as a "convenience fee" and to guarantee a spot, which she said was not the case as well.

We politely said, "next time we come to a gopher game here, we'll just pay cash." Good grief...

Also was surprised how many fans were there. It was a decent turnout. The beaver fan next to me was like "You guys travel real well!" which was met by me telling him this was unusual for us. I figured it was bolstered by the Alumni bases in Portland and Seattle showing up in force. Also a bit of PJ Fleck help too.

It was a good turnout, but not an unusual turnout, in my opinion. I travel to many away games, and we typically have a fairly respectable turnout (nowhere near Nebraska, but respectable nonetheless). Colorado State a few years ago had a great turnout. Ioaw, wisconsin, NU, etc., all have great turnouts. The USC game a few years back also had an excellent turnout.

It was a good turnout, but not an unusual turnout, in my opinion. I travel to many away games, and we typically have a fairly respectable turnout (nowhere near Nebraska, but respectable nonetheless). Colorado State a few years ago had a great turnout. Ioaw, wisconsin, NU, etc., all have great turnouts. The USC game a few years back also had an excellent turnout.

I guess I was skewed by the turnouts for the Illinois and Northwestern away games I went to the past two years. My bad, oh well.

I bought a parking pass through the Oregon State athletic department and get to the lot I paid for to find out it "wasn't valid." We laughed like, "ha ha, gopher fans can't park here" but no, she wasn't going to let us in because she said it was a cash only lot. We eventually agreed to park there but she said to not find her if our car gets towed. Complete BS since we paid the extra $2.50 in advance as a "convenience fee" and to guarantee a spot, which she said was not the case as well.

We politely said, "next time we come to a gopher game here, we'll just pay cash." Good grief...

Identical experience for me.

I'd agree a typical turnout for a "destination" away game (USC, UNLV, etc.) or a rival or Northwestern. The others it depends more on the season and quality of opponent. My Illinois experience a couple years ago was also that there were very few Gopher fans (not that many Illinois fans either, for that matter).

No idea if it got on TV, but it was loud enough in the stadium for the writers in the press box to hear it. From The Oregonian yesterday...

IMG_20170911_133442.jpg

I watched the game since I had it recorded. I did not hear the chant on TV, but my volume was pretty low

Regarding the turnout, glad folks made the journey out there, wish I could have gone but I'm instead heading to Vegas this week. I've gone to the Colo St and UNLV road games and tons showed up for both. Maybe most folks are like me- only really interested in traveling to non conf destinations

Regarding the turnout, glad folks made the journey out there, wish I could have gone but I'm instead heading to Vegas this week. I've gone to the Colo St and UNLV road games and tons showed up for both. Maybe most folks are like me- only really interested in traveling to non con destinations

I think its a combination of things.

1. Non-conference destinations are more rare. The Gophers may never played in Oregon again...or for a very long time. Same with UNLV, Colorado St, etc.
2. Those destinations listed above are all cool places to go. No one would rather spend a week in Lincoln than in Colorado. Lots of B1G teams are in not awesome places to visit
3. You can always go to a West game. Every other year at least. Even vs East teams, its every 4-5? I think.

I've been to Lincoln, Evanston and Oregon for Gopher games. Will be @ Michigan this year as well. Definitely planning to do 1 game a year, at least, but non-conference games will get priority if in a cool location I'd like to go to regardless of football.

By the way, I watched the end of the game back and yes you could hear the chant. I don't know that it was clear enough on TV for people who didn't know it to make out what was said, but I knew what it was.

Top Bottom