All Things Oregon State Road Trip

We plan trips for the following season while the current one is still going. Booking hotels a year in advance in necessary for some of these places with high demand, like Penn State or Nebraska. You can always cancel later if you can't make it.

+1.

I booked our hotel for the game at Iowa this year, the day that the booking system let me a year prior as Iowa City hotels book up almost immediately for home game weekends a year out.

Go Gophers!!

We plan trips for the following season while the current one is still going. Booking hotels a year in advance in necessary for some of these places with high demand, like Penn State or Nebraska. You can always cancel later if you can't make it.

Guess I haven't run into that...Air BnB is a great option as well. For Neb...I would probably stay in Omaha. Was looking last year for the Neb game and found plenty of nice houses, condos, townhomes to choose from in Omaha.

Guess I haven't run into that...Air BnB is a great option as well. For Neb...I would probably stay in Omaha. Was looking last year for the Neb game and found plenty of nice houses, condos, townhomes to choose from in Omaha.

Well, sure. If you want to stay in a town 55 miles away from the town that the game is played, you will have plenty of options and no need to book a year early. So yea, you wouldn't have run into that issue. If you want to stay in Des Moines the weekend of the Gopher/Iowa game, the housing market will be different than Iowa City.

Go Gophers!!

AirBNB has really changed the game. I stayed in a really nice townhouse in Lincoln last year for about $35/night.

It doesn't work well in smaller college towns (like Corvallis), but for larger colleges contained in cities (Madison, Columbus, Lincoln etc) it works great.

Well, sure. If you want to stay in a town 55 miles away from the town that the game is played, you will have plenty of options and no need to book a year early. So yea, you wouldn't have run into that issue. If you want to stay in Des Moines the weekend of the Gopher/Iowa game, the housing market will be different than Iowa City.

Go Gophers!!

Des Moines/IA City is not a good comparison.

As posted, AirBnB in Lincoln is a great option. There are way more entertainment and dining choices in Omaha, and that is an easy drive to Lincoln. Heck, many season ticket holders spend the same amount of time getting to TCF on game days here.

Other awesome attractions in Oregon.

Crater Lake-must see at some point
Multnomah Falls just outside of Portland
Deschutes Brewery in Bend or Portland
Rogue Brewing in Portland
Widmer Brothers Brewing in Portland
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Cannon Beach
HWY 101 on the Oregon Coast has beautiful scenery.
Voodoo Donuts in Portland

Also Northern California and the Redwoods are about 5 hours or so from Corvallis so definitely doable and a beautiful area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pacific Northwest has some of the most spectacular scenery in the country. My recommendations:

Quick and relatively easy:
-second Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. Easily accessible.
-Washington Park in the west hills of Portland has a spectacular rose garden and views of Mt Hood on a clear day.
-many, many restaurants and pubs in that area/Pearl District. Take your pick.

Longer but unforgettable:
-drive the loop from Portland to Corvallis. Take 26 west to the coast, drive south on HWY 101 (take secondary roads that hug the coast to get the full effect). Continue south through Lincoln City to Newport. FEAST on fresh seafood along the way. The drive is spectacular in many spots, shades of California and HWY 1 from LA to San Francisco. Spectacular!
- if you're so inclined, the camping in the Cascades range is out of this world. Enormous old growth trees, raging rivers, the deep smell of the forest. If you're into the outdoors, fishing, hiking you really shouldn't pass up the opportunity. So different from MN. Still nice that time of year. The rains won't start for another 4-6 weeks. Head out on the Clackamas highway and take your pick. Might be a busier weekend.

Other awesome attractions in Oregon.

Crater Lake-must see at some point
Multnomah Falls just outside of Portland
Deschutes Brewery in Bend or Portland
Rogue Brewing in Portland
Widmer Brothers Brewing in Portland
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Cannon Beach
HWY 101 on the Oregon Coast has beautiful scenery.
Voodoo Donuts in Portland

Also Northern California and the Redwoods are about 5 hours or so from Corvallis so definitely doable and a beautiful area.

You left out Astoria, Oregon. Home of where the famous movie "The Goonies" was shot. :cool:

(EDIT: I believe Kindergarten Cop was also shot there.)

The Pacific Northwest has some of the most spectacular scenery in the country. My recommendations:

Quick and relatively easy:
-second Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. Easily accessible.
-Washington Park in the west hills of Portland has a spectacular rose garden and views of Mt Hood on a clear day.
-many, many restaurants and pubs in that area/Pearl District. Take your pick.

Longer but unforgettable:
-drive the loop from Portland to Corvallis. Take 26 west to the coast, drive south on HWY 101 (take secondary roads that hug the coast to get the full effect). Continue south through Lincoln City to Newport. FEAST on fresh seafood along the way. The drive is spectacular in many spots, shades of California and HWY 1 from LA to San Francisco. Spectacular!
- if you're so inclined, the camping in the Cascades range is out of this world. Enormous old growth trees, raging rivers, the deep smell of the forest. If you're into the outdoors, fishing, hiking you really shouldn't pass up the opportunity. So different from MN. Still nice that time of year. The rains won't start for another 4-6 weeks. Head out on the Clackamas highway and take your pick. Might be a busier weekend.

Can you see anything of note if you take the 5 up to Portland from Corvallis?

Can you see anything of note if you take the 5 up to Portland from Corvallis?

IIRC there is a meat processing plant in Salem-crack your windows. It's been awhile but I don't recall anything "tremendous" in the Willamette valley corridor on I5. It is pretty country everywhere though but you'll be looking at the mts from a distance. Lots to do in Portland.

I should say if you get off I5 and take the secondary roads back to Portland via McMinnville, Hillsboro, etc from the west you will drive through some pretty tremendous rolling hills dotted with stands of forest and vineyards. It is better than the wine country of Northern California and is more emblematic of what people think Napa looks like than it actually does. It pays to get off the beaten path. It's likely the roundabout route may be less crowded. The traffic in Portland on work days during rush is LA-like. Terrible. Avoid rush at all costs.

If you go to Portland getting a pass for the Max Light Rail is a good deal. It's cheap and can get you pretty much anywhere in Portland

If you are heading out for a "boys' or date weekend" rather than a family outing, you may be surprised to learn that Oregon, in general, and Portland, in particular, has the highest number of strip clubs per capita than any place in the U.S. This is partially due to some liberal wording in the state constitution regarding freedom of expression, and partially due to zoning laws (or lack thereof).

The last time I was there was almost 15 years ago, and then there was so much competition among adult establishments that there were exceptionally good deals on meals to be had. For instance, there was a full-fledged strip club in the strip mall across the street from the apartment complex where I was staying with a $5.00 all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet that we had for 3 days in a row. We had a $9.99 prime rib dinner special in a "fern bar" that looked perfectly normal from the street (i.e., no pink or purple neon lights or XXX signage), but featured beautiful topless waitresses. Most of the workers we encountered were college students, perfectly at ease with their choice of work to help with tuition payments, similar to the women you might find at Hooters or Tilted Kilt in other venues.

Another case of meningitis confirmed at OSU this week. University looks to vaccinate 7,000. One of their top players, Seth Collins (#2 wr), was in hospital last Fall, is skipping Spring and may just redshirt in 2017.

You young guys planning on face to face contact with Beavers may want to update your vaccinations.

Oregon State Road Trip Tips, Fan Forum?

Hello compadres! I've got a group of dudes planning a trip to Corvallis for the OSU (Beaver variety) game. Problem is, I can't find a free fan forum to get recommendations for places to stay, visit, bars, restaurants, tailgating tips, etc. anyone have any insight on Corvallis or a free fan forum I can visit?

Seattle taxes the heck outnof rental cars so be ready for a sizeable bill.

It's going to be a great day long of tailgating in Corvallis!!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nebraska at Oregon is at 1:30 local time, which puts the double header in play!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Creative Charters, the Stillwater-based fan tour company, is offering a package with more than football for the Gophers game on September 9 in Corvallis against Oregon State. The trip includes activities on the Oregon coast with fishing, whale watching, wine tasting and more. Details at Creativecharter.com.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone know where the visitor sections are in Reser Stadium? I am trying to decide if it is worth forking out $80 or to try my chances on the secondary market.

Does anyone know where the visitor sections are in Reser Stadium? I am trying to decide if it is worth forking out $80 or to try my chances on the secondary market.

Unfortunately, buying away tix from the U is never the best option. I have used StubHub for low demand games (jNW, IL, etc.), but have found some of my best deals for higher demand games (IA, WI, etc.) by buying through the opposing team's site at face value before they sell out. Might have to be willing to sit in the belly of the beast tho.

I was blown away by Oregon State asking for $80 per ticket. Including bowl games, this will be the 62nd away game I've attended, and I have never paid that much. OSU being in the same ballpark as Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc. seems absurd, but then, I handed over the money so ....

Visitors are primarily in the endzone under the right side of the scoreboard next to where the band sits. Classes will not have started, so it will be an alumni band more than likely.

I wonder what visitors to our stadium pay when going through their school?

I don't follow the football forum closely but my wife and I are going to this game (as well as Michigan). Flying to Portland and spending a couple days doing beer/touristy things. Likely won't spend any nights in Corvallis, just Thursday for the day.

Too busy right now to read through it all but will there be a Gopher pregame meet up for fans? Would love to drink beers with people in matching colors.

Top Bottom