Boyd: six of eight Bison in NFL from MN

I'd love to see his data sources on that too. From what I can tell, there were six NDAC alums on NFL rosters at the end of the 2016 season, and four were from MN. Here are those four:

Joe Haeg (http://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Haeg-91631?PlayerInstitution=175922) - 245 lb. OT coming out of HS at Brainerd. I couldn't even find a Rivals profile. He probably had an NDAC offer and no others.

Billy Turner (https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/27473) - Underrated stud coming out of HS, would've committed here if offered, couldn't have gotten into school here if we had offered. Other offers were UND, UNI, and Illinois St. Fortunately for NDAC, our admissions standards are slightly higher than "can fog a mirror".

Marcus Williams (http://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Williams-85653?PlayerInstitution=148936) - Billy Turner story, part 2. I can't find a Rivals profile for him either.

Ramon Humber (http://247sports.com/Player/Ramon-Humber-76405?Institution=13748) - I can't find a Rivals profile for him.

So out of the four NDAC alums in the NFL, we have four guys with zero FBS offers, two of whom couldn't have qualified here academically. Great analysis!

His numbers appear to be off based on your post. While not current players there are several other MN-bred Bison that spent time in the NFL within the last ten years. Many of these players have been offensive linemen. How many offensive linemen has MN put into the NFL in the last ten years?

That is an indictment of coaching evaluations and development and scouting evaluations. Most of the players that went to NDSU came out of the metro or Mankato, a short drive. This is another example of the groupthink endemic in the scouting services. And the circular logic ensues.

Regarding the academics, what are the ACT and GPA minimums vs the NCAA threshold? NDSU? I'm just curious because this is frequently talked about but I've never seen any real numbers.

Not that we can really control it, but it would be nice to let the BCS and D2 kids know that if they have great success at their small school, the U is open to having Graduate Transfers come in and compete for playing time if they want to improve their chance at getting drafted or getting an invite to NFL training camps as an undrafted free agent. Would play to our strength of having NFL team here and potentially turn the fact that we've got some of the strongest FCS and D2 football programs in the country in our neighborhood into an advantage. Sconie can't do that with their D3 in-state programs.

PJ isn't a big JUCO guy, he likes to bring in HS guys, can't imagine he is that big on transfers either.

Outside desperation moves, or very rare unique opportunities, I'm really not sure looking for transfers is a great route. ... for anyone.

NDSU has had plenty who wouldn't have qualified. Crocket comes to mind first. Turner does not belong in that category.

NDSU has had plenty who wouldn't have qualified. Crocket comes to mind first. Turner does not belong in that category.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had Turner lumped in with Williams and Crockett. I knew there were a few guys with academic issues from Minnesota that ended up at NDSU.

Ok the first thought that came to my mind when thinking about this was,

HOW MANY ZERO STAR recruits from Minnesota did NDSU have to recruit over the years to find FOUR hidden gems???

NDSU, outside of their occasional game vs an Iowa or a Kansas St, plays far weaker competition week in and week out, and as good as they are, can probably play more backups at the end of games, probably suffer fewer injuries, and can take several players that otherwise wouldn't academically qualify to play at the U. So they can afford to take chances on lesser recognized recruits and can afford to take projects that need time to mature and grow and gain confidence and time to be coached up.

My guess is NDSU plays a lot of seniors each year. Players who can't make it big at NDSU probably don't think transferring out will help them, so why not stick it out and be able to be a part of a Natl Title winning team even if they have to sit on the bench. Whereas kids on the Gopher team who aren't happy with playing time, may feel that transferring to another program can get them more playing time, and may help out their chances of being noticed. So when they can wait 3-4 years before needing a player to give starter like contributions, that helps those projects by giving them more time to develop.

A place like Minnesota, for various reasons, more often probably needs freshman and sophomores to give starter like contributions. So UMn can't afford to take a bunch of projects, of which only 1% will pan out and end up in the NFL.

Someone brought up Jeff Jones? Well, a Gopher coach going out of his way to get ONE player, who wasn't even close to a ZERO star recruit, through some hoops so that he can play, is far different than getting multiple ZERO star recruits into the program.

Another example of some idiot trying to make an issue out of something that is pure nonsense.

Correct! NDSU is going to find lightning in a bottle every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haeg was a pwo At ndsu, sometimes you just get lucky

So, does anyone know the academic standards? ACT/SAT and GPA?

There has to be someone on this board that knows the answer because so many of you keep saying player A can't get into the U but can get into school B. Surely you aren't just saying that because the U student body has a higher academic profile than NDSU, and don't know the actual numbers? What I'm interested in is the minimums of each school, or profile of the MN athlete vs the NDSU athlete.

Here is the link to the NCAA Division I sliding scale. It uses GPA and either SAT or ACT subscore sums to determine eligibility (assuming core course load taken). http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/test-scores

What cutoff does the U use vs NDSU on this scale? Or, does the U set minimums in GPA or ACT beyond those used by the NCAA. Some low percent of U students have pretty scary SAT and ACTs according to Collegedata so I'm not at all certain the U has very high standards for athletes, but I'd like to see evidence I'm wrong.

Bueller?

Not that we can really control it, but it would be nice to let the BCS and D2 kids know that if they have great success at their small school, the U is open to having Graduate Transfers come in and compete for playing time if they want to improve their chance at getting drafted or getting an invite to NFL training camps as an undrafted free agent. Would play to our strength of having NFL team here and potentially turn the fact that we've got some of the strongest FCS and D2 football programs in the country in our neighborhood into an advantage. Sconie can't do that with their D3 in-state programs.

This is complete nonsense if you think a player has a better chance of getting drafted by going to the U instead of NDSU. That's a complete joke. Pretty sure NDSU has had more QB's drafted in the first round than the entire Big Ten the last 10 years. Also NDSU has had 5-6 players in NFL camps each of the last few years. If you have any talent at all the NFL will find you.

This is complete nonsense if you think a player has a better chance of getting drafted by going to the U instead of NDSU. That's a complete joke. Pretty sure NDSU has had more QB's drafted in the first round than the entire Big Ten the last 10 years. Also NDSU has had 5-6 players in NFL camps each of the last few years. If you have any talent at all the NFL will find you.

Meh they had one QB drafted in the first round nice. Now how many superbowl rings do big ten quarterbacks have in last ten years. Several and that is just Tom Brady.

Haeg was a pwo At ndsu, sometimes you just get lucky

Lucky? No

Player Development Factory? Yes

NDSU's bread and butter is player development. Minnesota desire is not to be a player development program, although they would be better suited with that mindset.

Why is he bringing this up in an article about the Gophers? It's not as though those guys were recruited by the Gophers and went to NDAC instead. These guys were available to be recruited by any FBS school in the country, and they all passed. So why is he singling out the Gophers? Is he going to post this in articles about every other FBS team as well? This "point" gets brought up all the time, and it's stupid. Yes, the way to win Big Ten championships is to stick your neck out and recruit guys not wanted by any other FBS team, let alone any other Big Ten team. That'll get the fans all tingly.

You fail to understand that ndsu has had lots of success recruiting against the G5. You don't automatically take an Fbs offer over an Fcs offer. Lots of recruiting Ws vs programs in the Fbs. Teams aren't just passing on ndsu recruits in many cases.

Lucky? No

NDSU's bread and butter is player development. Minnesota desire is not to be a player development program, although they would be better suited with that mindset.

Player development was kill philosophy and finding under recruited kids. Ndsu wasnt sure Haeg would develop way he did otherwise they've offered him a scholarship and not risk it

Get over yourself

You fail to understand that ndsu has had lots of success recruiting against the G5. You don't automatically take an Fbs offer over an Fcs offer. Lots of recruiting Ws vs programs in the Fbs. Teams aren't just passing on ndsu recruits in many cases.

We have walk ons that turned down FCS scholarship

Lucky? No

Good lordy. You're such a tool. I used to think Sioux hockey fans were horrible, but at least their team is legit. I work at NDSU and still think the football thing is overrated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I understand perfectly. Your statement is nonsensical in that none of these players had FBS offers.

Go stroke yourself about NDAC's illustrious JV accomplishments elsewhere.

Good lordy. You're such a tool. I used to think Sioux hockey fans were horrible, but at least their team is legit. I work at NDSU and still think the football thing is overrated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No, the tool is the guy who thinks that Joe Haeg starting in the NFL as a rookie is "lucky for ndsu". What an idiot.

No, the tool is the guy who thinks that Joe Haeg starting in the NFL as a rookie is "lucky for ndsu". What an idiot.
Throwing insults? Sure are sensitive

Ndsu like all programs don't hit on 100% of their scholarship players or pwo. When one player who was barely recruited and even ndsu only offered as pwo ends up in nfl one could call it luck.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Ndsu has players that turned down Fbs or B1G scholarships. Not many, but 2 or 3 on the roster.
I doubt any turned scholarship down to walk on.

Why do you still come here?

Most of the Dakota Schools are filled w Minnesotans! NDSU has had a roster of mostly MN kids during its incredible run. Fleck needs to get the program to the point where a PWO offer from MN is more valuable than a scholly to a Dakota school.

can't cosign this enough

Eric Decker was lightly recruited, mason offered him late. He became one of best gophers and current NFL stud, sometimes you just get lucky

Lucky? No

This makes zero sense. So MN doesn't want their players to get better? They've done a great job developing at certain areas, especially DB where two more players may get drafted this year. That would make it 5 in 4 seasons. The biggest issue has been lack of development at certain positions like QB and OL.

The only justification for picking undsu over The University of Minnesota for "development" reasons would maybe be less chance of getting injured. The smaller, weaker competition you would play every week would be less rigorous than having to play 9 games against the Big Ten.

If I were scouting, though, it wouldn't say much about your competitive drive that you chose to play in a far lesser division.

The only justification for picking undsu over The University of Minnesota for "development" reasons would maybe be less chance of getting injured. The smaller, weaker competition you would play every week would be less rigorous than having to play 9 games against the Big Ten.

If I were scouting, though, it wouldn't say much about your competitive drive that you chose to play in a far lesser division.

The only legitimate reason to pick scholarship at NDSU over PWO at MN is money. And that is a big reason for a lot of folks.

Top Bottom