Doogie: I think we may see Tanner Morgan play this year, maybe even week 1

He did say all those things, but at signing day the way Coach Fleck's face lit up when talking about Morgan was something else. Don't get me wrong, he's not going to start Morgan if he's not in a position to come in and win games. But he's probably got the best chance to start game 1 of any true freshman in quite a while. The QB's on the team have thrown a combined 34 pass attempts in games. None of them have worked with the OC. Should be interesting!

No doubt he has some opinions at this point, but I think the early early praise and hype right now is ... just that super early stuff.

They've got other reasons to hype up players too...

this is something I will be interested to watch:

Fleck and his staff have no inherent allegiance to the incumbent players. They didn't recruit them - they haven't coached them. So they are looking at every player as a clean slate with no built-in bias, either pro or con. It's a good bet that Fleck & staff will evaluate some players differently than Claeys & co - some of the incumbent players may move up on the pecking order - some may fall back - based on perceived skills - and how they fit into Fleck's system.

I understand there is a long-range goal to build the program according to their blueprint, but there is also a short-term goal to win games. All of the choices as far as who starts, who plays, who sits - will be unfolding through spring and fall practice until the opener.

Bottom line - I think there could be some surprises both ways - guys who started or played a lot under Claeys who don't play as much under Fleck - and the flip side - guys who were lower on the depth chart under Claeys who move up the ladder under Fleck.

Should give us plenty to talk about on the Hole.

this is something I will be interested to watch:

Fleck and his staff have no inherent allegiance to the incumbent players. They didn't recruit them - they haven't coached them. So they are looking at every player as a clean slate with no built-in bias, either pro or con. It's a good bet that Fleck & staff will evaluate some players differently than Claeys & co - some of the incumbent players may move up on the pecking order - some may fall back - based on perceived skills - and how they fit into Fleck's system.

I understand there is a long-range goal to build the program according to their blueprint, but there is also a short-term goal to win games. All of the choices as far as who starts, who plays, who sits - will be unfolding through spring and fall practice until the opener.

Bottom line - I think there could be some surprises both ways - guys who started or played a lot under Claeys who don't play as much under Fleck - and the flip side - guys who were lower on the depth chart under Claeys who move up the ladder under Fleck.

Should give us plenty to talk about on the Hole.

I'm most interested in seeing what happens with that up/down movement at WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard he throws a spiral 60% of the time, every time! That's good news isn't it?

I would imagine PJF saw something in Rhoda. Can't imagine going through the work of asking a guy to come back if it's ONLY to add depth.

I would imagine PJF saw something in Rhoda. Can't imagine going through the work of asking a guy to come back if it's ONLY to add depth.

Possible. Not sure where he would have seen it tho? Personally, I don't think CR15 will play, but I sure was glad they gave him his scholly back. Any kid that gives 3 years to the program on his dime then another after being given a scholly should not have that scholly taken away. I viewed PJF giving it back as a PR move with the players mostly and in line with his values. A good PR move, IMO.

Well at the time we had two other warm bodies eligible...

PJ says you have to work with a guy a while before you even know. He didn't.

Possible. Not sure where he would have seen it tho? Personally, I don't think CR15 will play, but I sure was glad they gave him his scholly back. Any kid that gives 3 years to the program on his dime then another after being given a scholly should not have that scholly taken away. I viewed PJF giving it back as a PR move with the players mostly and in line with his values. A good PR move, IMO.

Good point. I didn't think about that side of it. I thought that he was leaving mostly for playing time, but the scholly deal is probably more likely.

The team has yet to begin spring practice and this knuckhead is speculating the next great qb. What is doggies hit rate on his "scoops"?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did anybody actually listen to the podcast before the breakout of insults and name calling?
There is a lot of good recruiting information on this podcast.
I'm sure you all agree that there is too much coverage of Gopher Football in this town.

Morgan was recruited to play in this system which is something that definitely can't be said for anyone else on the roster. Whoever is the QB has to make quick reads and throw accurate passes if what I have learned about the offense from the various articles is true. I'm sure Doogie is just spitballing and has no real insight other than putting two and two together.

I'm excited to watch a QB battle unfold, but also nervous about the loss of leadership/experience/toughness that Mitch brought. An increase in quick reads and accuracy will help to alleviate that nervousness :eek:

I'm excited to watch a QB battle unfold, but also nervous about the loss of leadership/experience/toughness that Mitch brought. An increase in quick reads and accuracy will help to alleviate that nervousness :eek:

I'm excited, and terrified.

Say whatever you want about Mitch, but he may be the toughest player I have ever seen wear maroon and gold.

Top Bottom