USA Football New Course on Shoulder Tackling

Was required to take a Heads Up course last year for Coaching Certification. Looks like this is taking it further along.

I'm glad these leading organizations are promoting a new, revolutionary way to tackle. The shoulder tackle.

2ebsahz.png

I'm glad these leading organizations are promoting a new, revolutionary way to tackle. The shoulder tackle.

2ebsahz.png

You'd be surprised how few people know how to tackle properly at the youth level, and even all the way up until high school. When I played, I felt like there wasn't a lot of time spent teaching the fundamentals of tackling. It was just kind of expected that you knew. Maybe I just had bad coaches? lol

I think its good that they're trying to go at this, and make the game safer overall. I know a lot of parents who wouldn't have let their children play, knowing the risks for head injuries were so high.

You'd be surprised how few people know how to tackle properly at the youth level, and even all the way up until high school. When I played, I felt like there wasn't a lot of time spent teaching the fundamentals of tackling. It was just kind of expected that you knew. Maybe I just had bad coaches? lol

I think its good that they're trying to go at this, and make the game safer overall. I know a lot of parents who wouldn't have let their children play, knowing the risks for head injuries were so high.

I'm not surprised.

Duke hasn't figured it out yet....

A good shoulder tackle won't get you on ESPN's highlights.

You missed my point. I wasn't trying to make a point that there isn't a lack of tackling knowledge.

My point was the feel of the video makes it seem as if this is some new, revolutionary way to tackle based in IBM's Watson or something like that.

Back. To. Basics.

You missed my point. I wasn't trying to make a point that there isn't a lack of tackling knowledge.

My point was the feel of the video makes it seem as if this is some new, revolutionary way to tackle based in IBM's Watson or something like that.

Back. To. Basics.

I was just adding some anecdotal experience to the fact that even though its not a new concept, it wasn't a point that was emphasized throughout my playing days (10-20 years ago). So I'm glad that coaches are being asked to bring it more to the forefront.

Back in my HS days in Texas, we had old school coaches who wanted you to form up, heads-up into chest on
each and every tackle. That meant if you weighed 150, you were supposed to form up on a 235 lb fullback running full speed.
There was no other technique taught.

I was taught previously when I lived in MN and CT how to tackle with your shoulders and stay low. MUCH safe and better
way to tackle.

And, you can tell by posts.....no lasting dam....dam....damage done

Top Bottom