Question -

Rog

Reaction score
In the states that B10 football exist - Do all the states have no Spring High School football? or are some like the south?
If some do have, in varying degree?

In addition to spring football, currently there are elite 7 on 7 competitions that are going on in Texas. Spring ball and spring game typically take shape in May. Summertime brings on 7on 7 leading into school practices in August. Why There is limited spring ball in the northern states is beyond me.

In addition to spring football, currently there are elite 7 on 7 competitions that are going on in Texas. Spring ball and spring game typically take shape in May. Summertime brings on 7on 7 leading into school practices in August. Why There is limited spring ball in the northern states is beyond me.

Most schools don't have the facilities or resources to upkeep and maintain their fields in the winter.

There are plenty of domes around the metro area that are filled every night for soccer. I would think if there was enough demand there would be domes available for 7v7 football.

There are plenty of domes around the metro area that are filled every night for soccer. I would think if there was enough demand there would be domes available for 7v7 football.

Around the metro area, maybe.

But is it really fair to have metro teams be able to practice year-round while everyone else sticks to the current schedule?

But is it really fair to have metro teams be able to practice year-round while everyone else sticks to the current schedule?

We used to complain that northern hockey players could skate all year but in the metro the ice melted on the lakes. They have their advantages, we have ours.

Yes. There are tons of schools with different issues with different sports. A lot of northern MN schools have municipal hockey rinks that are much cheaper than their metro counterparts. There are a lot of schools without an ice arena. I went to Cretin and we didn't have our own football stadium (we used Central's at that time).

Lastly, spring football is really varied in other parts of the country. Some states allow like just a week or two of full pad practices in late April/May (the ground would be thawed). Some states have completely deregulated it, but the winter and early spring are mostly just working out with a couple weeks of practice in April/May (some states even allow a full contact scrimmage against another school).

In MN, I think it makes the most sense to be more lenient regarding coaching instruction during the offseason workouts and one week of non-pad practice and two weeks of pad practice in late April/May. If the schools don't want make a field available at that time, they can opt out.

Most schools in Minnesota do have summer football though along with 7 on 7 competitions in the summer. Usually two practices a week with shells (helmets and shoulder pads only) in June up until two-a-days in August along with a two week 5 day a week camp and some schools do joint practices with others.

If anyone wants to get some space in a dome for 7v7 (or more) football, send me a PM and I can get you some pricing and times for the Dundas Dome (about 25 minutes south of Burnsville).

The whole spring football thing is a joke and overrated in my opinion. Yes, I know the southern states have spring ball and the northern states do not, but up until 2014 or 2015 Minnesota High School Football had some of the most lenient rules in the country. High schools in Minnesota could practice in full pads every day from June 1 - the beginning of August with the exception of the 4th of July week. Now the MSHSL has scaled it back similar to what southern states do in the spring. I believe the majority of the southern states cannot do any practices outside of their spring all practices.

'Its not fair to outstate schools that lack facilities' is a terrible reason to not allow something like 7 on 7 or spring ball.

The whole spring football thing is a joke and overrated in my opinion. Yes, I know the southern states have spring ball and the northern states do not, but up until 2014 or 2015 Minnesota High School Football had some of the most lenient rules in the country. High schools in Minnesota could practice in full pads every day from June 1 - the beginning of August with the exception of the 4th of July week. Now the MSHSL has scaled it back similar to what southern states do in the spring. I believe the majority of the southern states cannot do any practices outside of their spring all practices.

Even though the region's that allow it are unquestionably better at FB than the region's that don't? It definitely helps maximize talent

I can only offer my perspective. In HS, I played 5A football in Texas in the Houston area. At that time, we had
trimesters which had four classes each day. One of those classes was offseason football (Athletic PE). As such,
one fourth of our academic day was done in lifting, running, agility, etc. When Spring Practice was in session,
we would head to our last class of the day, athletic PE, and then go straight to spring practice, which was no holds
barred, full contact. Now, our head coach played for Frank Broyles at Arkansas and Norm Van Brocklin with the Vikes,
so one can only imagine how our practices were (lol) Still, it did show the lengths that the state was willing to
go to for excellence in football. I've never gotten the sense that there would be that type of support in the state of
Minnesota. For fishing maybe, and hunting, but not for football.

Life isn't fair my son. The rural schools may have just 5-10 good basketball players but they get to compete in state tourneys while urban schools may have a 100 good basketball players yet only a handful get to play on the varsity.

Life isn't fair my son. The rural schools may have just 5-10 good basketball players but they get to compete in state tourneys while urban schools may have a 100 good basketball players yet only a handful get to play on the varsity.

LOL

I can only offer my perspective. In HS, I played 5A football in Texas in the Houston area. At that time, we had
trimesters which had four classes each day. One of those classes was offseason football (Athletic PE). As such,
one fourth of our academic day was done in lifting, running, agility, etc. When Spring Practice was in session,
we would head to our last class of the day, athletic PE, and then go straight to spring practice, which was no holds
barred, full contact. Now, our head coach played for Frank Broyles at Arkansas and Norm Van Brocklin with the Vikes,?
so one can only imagine how our practices were (lol) Still, it did show the lengths that the state was willing to
go to for excellence in football. I've never gotten the sense that there would be that type of support in the state of
Minnesota. For fishing maybe, and hunting, but not for football.

Which School? I played in the Spring Branch District.

Looking at it from a holistic approach- what's the purpose and the cost of spring football? Is the purpose so that we can develop a couple more prospects for D1 football- really? Is it really worth that?

If you run 3-4 weeks of practice or even 3x/week 7 on 7 you completely disable kids from experiencing other sports/ experiences during the spring. We have summer 7/7 already along with tons of camps. At a time when many coaches are going back to advocating for kids to gain extra skill sets by playing other sports do we want to force many of them to miss that opportunity? More importantly for the 99.9% who won't get a scholarship either way do we want to lessen their potential of becoming proficient at multiple sports? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soccer is way cooler than football.

Looking at it from a holistic approach- what's the purpose and the cost of spring football? Is the purpose so that we can develop a couple more prospects for D1 football- really? Is it really worth that?

If you run 3-4 weeks of practice or even 3x/week 7 on 7 you completely disable kids from experiencing other sports/ experiences during the spring. We have summer 7/7 already along with tons of camps. At a time when many coaches are going back to advocating for kids to gain extra skill sets by playing other sports do we want to force many of them to miss that opportunity? More importantly for the 99.9% who won't get a scholarship either way do we want to lessen their potential of becoming proficient at multiple sports? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've seen kids are still able to play other sports but spring ball is an option for those that don't. Of course there may be pressure to play FB but you see stuff like that already. But I do agree with you that the only tangible benefit is that schools and players get better at football. Honestly that doesn't really do anything for HS FB here. Sure it raises the quality of play but how does that actually benefit anyone? The ones that benefit are the handful of kids that would improve enough to play in college that otherwise wouldn't and also the local colleges that then have access to more good players. Sure over 10-15 years maybe FB improves enough that the there is a significant increase in D1 prospects for the U to choose from but I don't think that's a good reason to completely change how the state handles HS sports.

Top Bottom