Shaka Smart and Texas are 10-18

Stan

Reaction score
The shine has certainly come off the "Shaka is the greatest young coach" mantra for sure. Texas is 10-18 and that includes a pretty soft non-conference schedule. They haven't won a road game yet. He's getting paid well at Texas too.

It was the visit to the Vu that did him in...

Hm. I thought Texas was expected to have a down year.

For the sake of comparison, Pitino was 8-23 in year 3.

Point being, one season isn't a big enough sample size to know how Shaka will do down there.

Way too early to tell as it was the first three years of Pitino's years in MN. Texas has a boatload of talent - its a big pool of talent to choose from and with college hoops one amazing player with a good supporting cast can push a team toward a major leap in any given year - look at Purdue. Swanigan is looking like a college player of the year.

Sims should ask for out of his commitment! Grass is greener on his own side of the fence!

Who is the greatest young coach then?

FYI he's got 4 4 stars coming in next year, #7 recruiting class in the nation.

Last year #5 in the nation

Year before #17 in the nation(I believe that was his first class, and he only had Tevin Mack flip from VCU?)

Gopher fans, of all people, should understand it's a process and to not get to fixated on absolutes.

He's losing 4 seniors of which only Shaq Cleare is contributing 20+ minutes/game and his 3 juniors are combined for less than 5 minutes/game.

We'll be talking about Shaka soon enough.

Who is the greatest young coach then?

FYI he's got 4 4 stars coming in next year, #7 recruiting class in the nation.

Last year #5 in the nation

Year before #17 in the nation(I believe that was his first class, and he only had Tevin Mack flip from VCU?)

Gopher fans, of all people, should understand it's a process and to not get to fixated on absolutes.

Not sure who's "fixated" as I put a single post up about their record. Admittedly I haven't followed them the past two years. I heard on ESPN Radio this morning how much they were struggling this season, I was surprised. Even an off year at Texas they seem to be better than 10-18. Not shocked they have good recruiting class coming in, they always seem to. Barnes recruited great there, good school to recruit to.

Texas fans of all people should understand that being fixated with recruiting rankings don't necessarily translate to deep Tourney runs.

Doesn't have a point guard. Will have a good one next year. They'll be much improved.

Not sure who's "fixated" as I put a single post up about their record. Admittedly I haven't followed them the past two years. I heard on ESPN Radio this morning how much they were struggling this season, I was surprised. Even an off year at Texas they seem to be better than 10-18. Not shocked they have good recruiting class coming in, they always seem to. Barnes recruited great there, good school to recruit to.

Texas fans of all people should understand that being fixated with recruiting rankings don't necessarily translate to deep Tourney runs.

You got me, I harp on people for using hyperbolic statements and there I did it.

Point still stands, he'll be back.

Seems like with the 17th and 5th best classes on the court this year, he should have a better record.

I would be surprised if Smart doesn't turn it around at Texas next year. A ton of talent there and more coming in. Texas and Shaka Smart will be just fine.

Their guards are not good. Losing Isaiah Taylor to an ill-timed draft entry hurt them big time. If he's there they are much better.

Seems Shaka's and Pitino's careers at their present jobs are sort of similar, in some degree?

Pitino's worst season was #3, #4 could be his best with #5 being even better yet.

Is Shaka's 3rd season his worst so far? Does his 4th season look like it will be his best with his 5th being even better yet???

Seems Shaka's and Pitino's careers at their present jobs are sort of similar, in some degree?

Pitino's worst season was #3, #4 could be his best with #5 being even better yet.

Is Shaka's 3rd season his worst so far? Does his 4th season look like it will be his best with his 5th being even better yet???

Is this his second or third season in Austin?

Always felt like Smart was overrated by a hot run at VCU. Watching his offenses was as painful as watching Tubby's back in the day. If they didn't score off their defense it was pick'n'roll, rinse repeat. Just awful offensive flow to all of his teams and I'd be willing to bet his teams at Texas are having a similar issue given their offensive efficiency is currently at 182.

Texas was ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the year, so somebody must've thought they'd be better this year. No point guard has killed them.

Top Bottom