Springs and Lynch: Last night

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game as much in depth as I was watching my kids last night. But I did watch enough to know Springs and Lynch weren't in there during crunch time and the OT. Anyone know why? Was Pitino just going with hot hand or were they playing poorly?

Springs defense was fairly poor yesterday and offense not much better. Lynch was out cause Curry was playing AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Because Lynch was a foul waiting to happen, which we didn't need. Curry was playing well, so Pitino had him in instead. And Springs was having an off night/McBrayer was having an on night.

I didn't get to watch the game as much in depth as I was watching my kids last night. But I did watch enough to know Springs and Lynch weren't in there during crunch time and the OT. Anyone know why? Was Pitino just going with hot hand or were they playing poorly?

Only watched 2nd half.

I can tell you Lynch had foul trouble....

Maybe not as much his fault as circumstance, this time. Refs were calling it close. Seemed to make a number of bidirectional bad calls.

I don't think Lynch actually made contact with a Michigan Player on his 3rd or 4th foul.

The third on Lynch was blown before contact was made (he would have fouled him) but then the Michigan kid slipped about a foot before, and hit the deck.

Konate got a shot to replace Lynch, then Curry and Murphy were in most of the 2nd half. Maybe that kept Springs out, For Defense reasons against the Michigan Bigs.

Total Speculation

In the case of Lynch....his fouls were dumb. The score is going to dictate when you bring him back...knowing he is like to either give you nothing with four fouls or just foul out creating some let down. But the bigger factor was Michigan needed to foul and put guys on the line. I think Pitino was more comfortable with other guys shooting free throws.

Springs was kind of absent all night long. He wasn't scoring. He made bad decisions defensively. He just seemed to be spacing out. Yes, he made a couple nice plays but it wasn't a good game for him. I think Pitino was also trying to show confidence in McBrayer and get him back on track. He was playing better than Springs...except for a chest high dribble at mid court that resulted in a Michigan layup late.

Springs was a solid body and showed his man muscles despite not shooting well. He didn't play in the end because McBrayer hit a few threes and didn't turn the ball over. Coach was not upset with Springs, he just went with McBrayer.
It looked like Coach thought about putting Lynch in during OT, but ultimately went with Curry who played a great game on both ends.
I'm just hoping Springs poor shooting doesn't turn into a "Malik" slump.

McBrayer was having a good game and Pitino just went with the hot hand, the way it should play out.

Lynch had some of the dumbest fouls I have ever seen, he basically took himself out of the game in the second half, by crunch time he just wasn't in the flow, when you are playing well why take a chance at screwing up the chemistry.

The only guys that are basically always in during crunch time are Mason and Coffey. Curry often replaces either Lunch or Murphy and Dupree and Springs seem to be In game decisions.

Bottom line is that Curry was a much better option against Michigan's big men. Way more mobile than Reggie and had at least a fighting chance to guard them and did well on both ends of the court.

Springs just had a tough game. It happens. He's due to explode again soon.

Springs and Lynch are both due. Both were largely absent the last two games. Mason carried the team against Indiana and this time McBrayer, Murphy, and Curry came up big. Curry can add a nice dimension to the offense as long as he has a enough mass to cover other team's 4 or 5. He is a pretty decent outside shooter and so must be guarded. This is going to pull a big man outside creating more space in the lane for Mason, Coffey, McBrayer and Springs.

I think Curry was the obvious choice to limit the Michigan bigs from getting looks at 3s. Springs was off (2nd game in a row) and Mac was on and not making bad turnovers, so Pitino went with the hot hand. Dupree and Coffey made the FTs that won the game.

I disagree on one level that Lynch wasn't playing well. He flat out dominated with 11 points and 8? boards in 13 minutes. he did again makes some stupid fouls, but when he was in there, he owned the lane. I was kinda wondering if Pitino was making a statement to him: if you can't learn to NOT foul, you will ride the pine and I don't care how good of a game you are having.

I disagree on one level that Lynch wasn't playing well. He flat out dominated with 11 points and 8? boards in 13 minutes. he did again makes some stupid fouls, but when he was in there, he owned the lane. I was kinda wondering if Pitino was making a statement to him: if you can't learn to NOT foul, you will ride the pine and I don't care how good of a game you are having.
In some ways the question is, why didn't Pitino put Lynch back in after his fourth foul. His third and fourth foul were quickly called after his reinsertion to the line up, and it just didn't seem worth it to interrupt the great play that was going on just so Lynch could collect his fifth.

and it just didn't seem worth it to interrupt the great play that was going on just so Lynch could collect his fifth.
Which he has done nearly instantly the last few times, it seems, that he has been placed in the lineup with four fouls.

Exactly. Like maybe he's tired and wants to sit down again. But seriously, I'd like to see just a touch of indication he's disappointed or displeased with what's going on.

In some ways the question is, why didn't Pitino put Lynch back in after his fourth foul. His third and fourth foul were quickly called after his reinsertion to the line up, and it just didn't seem worth it to interrupt the great play that was going on just so Lynch could collect his fifth.

And Curry was a better defender.

Bottom line is that Curry was a much better option against Michigan's big men. Way more mobile than Reggie and had at least a fighting chance to guard them and did well on both ends of the court.

Springs just had a tough game. It happens. He's due to explode again soon.

Ding, ding, ding! This is exactly what Pitino said in the press conference. He said that Michigan doesn't have the typical back to the basket big men and that he stayed with Curry because he has the versatility to move around and guard them.

Exactly. Like maybe he's tired and wants to sit down again. But seriously, I'd like to see just a touch of indication he's disappointed or displeased with what's going on.

I really don't think Lynch should start. I would love to see Konate' start. Let Lynch see how they are playing Konate' then bring him in at the first media timeout or earlier if Konate' is struggling. What Lynch did in 13 minutes is unreal. With Lynch in there for 25 to 30 minutes I believe we can make a lot of noise in the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA. With him in foul trouble we will compete but eventually go quietly. I would keep Curry coming off the bench this year because I think that is working extremely well.

I really don't think Lynch should start. I would love to see Konate' start. Let Lynch see how they are playing Konate' then bring him in at the first media timeout or earlier if Konate' is struggling. What Lynch did in 13 minutes is unreal. With Lynch in there for 25 to 30 minutes I believe we can make a lot of noise in the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAA. With him in foul trouble we will compete but eventually go quietly. I would keep Curry coming off the bench this year because I think that is working extremely well.

Konate start? Now that's a head scratcher......

Ding, ding, ding! This is exactly what Pitino said in the press conference. He said that Michigan doesn't have the typical back to the basket big men and that he stayed with Curry because he has the versatility to move around and guard them.

I'm donating my consulting fee from Pitino to the Gopherhole!:)

Konate start? Now that's a head scratcher......

I did not state that he should be the go-to center for the game. However, keep doing the same things over and over again while expecting different results, now that's a head scratcher. I'm a saying to the first time out or sooner if it is not going well. Konate' is not playing all that bad. I would be hope that it would lead to Lynch gaining a better understanding of what he needs to do to be dominant while staying out of foul trouble.

Sunday night Curry 35 minutes 12 points, 5 rebounds and no blocks. Lynch 13 minutes, 11 points, 8 rebounds and no blocks. I love Curry, but I don't want him getting 3 times the minutes that Lynch gets. Coach needs to do something to change what is happening with Lynch and has pretty much so always happened with him in his college career. I am saying 4 minutes tops at the start of the game.

I know it won't happen, but Coach did sit him down after his 4th foul even though he did not foul out. So why not try something like this?

I did not state that he should be the go-to center for the game. However, keep doing the same things over and over again while expecting different results, now that's a head scratcher. I'm a saying to the first time out or sooner if it is not going well. Konate' is not playing all that bad. I would be hope that it would lead to Lynch gaining a better understanding of what he needs to do to be dominant while staying out of foul trouble.

Sunday night Curry 35 minutes 12 points, 5 rebounds and no blocks. Lynch 13 minutes, 11 points, 8 rebounds and no blocks. I love Curry, but I don't want him getting 3 times the minutes that Lynch gets. Coach needs to do something to change what is happening with Lynch and has pretty much so always happened with him in his college career. I am saying 4 minutes tops at the start of the game.

I know it won't happen, but Coach did sit him down after his 4th foul even though he did not foul out. So why not try something like this?

I understand what you're saying. Still, that being said and if we're sending a message , I would start Curry over Konate.

I understand what you're saying. Still, that being said and if we're sending a message , I would start Curry over Konate.

Last night Lynch in foul trouble again but at least this time he played 20 minutes as did Curry; so is was closer. I believe, that somehow, we need 25 to 30 minutes out of Kevin's nephew, if we are to make a bunch of noise in the NCAA's. Maybe too much to hope for based on Lynch's history. Last night's Pitino solution to the problem worked pretty darn good though.

Last night Lynch in foul trouble again but at least this time he played 20 minutes as did Curry; so is was closer. I believe, that somehow, we need 25 to 30 minutes out of Kevin's nephew, if we are to make a bunch of noise in the NCAA's. Maybe too much to hope for based on Lynch's history. Last night's Pitino solution to the problem worked pretty darn good though.

I think tourney time success needs to be governed more by not needing Lynch. I.E. getting the suitable replacement minutes from Curry/Konate. Lynch's minutes are then an asset to us, as they then become more bonus than hope.

I think we're closer to that, than Lynch turning a corner on the fouls. However, Lynch turning the corner would definitely go along way in the tourney.

And when that shows up for Lynch (if it does) it will be all of the sudden, and not gradual. The culmination of whatever work he's done will be an epiphany. So I think this is also possible still.

Top Bottom