Silly idea/debate

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
What do you think of the idea of resting some of the starters against Maryland. We by no means have to win that game. Our guys have played 5 OTs and rest might do them some good for Madness

Edit: Sorry thread title so vague don't know how to fix it

Worst. Idea. Ever. I mean, EVER.

Maryland is beatable. These kids (they are kids) are young and can bounce back easily. We'll have a few days off before the BIG tournament I think we should go for the win and see what we can do. I cannot remember a time where a college team rested starters.

Every game in the B1G is winnable for every team except Rutgers. 72 hours of recovery should be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every game in the B1G is winnable for every team except Rutgers. 72 hours of recovery should be plenty.

Even Rutgers took Wisconsin to overtime.

At the most I would say give Gilbert and hurt a little more floor time, that would be it though.

Lol if you've ever played ball at that age you know three days is enough rest....no kid would ever want to sit out a game when they aren't hurt.

Having attended the Wisconsin v. Maryland game yesterday, I am 100% expecting us to beat Maryland. They really are not that good. Slow down Trimble and we can win.

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read in gopherhole history and I have read a lot of ridiculous things.

I wouldn't mind seeing some young guys get a little bit more run if the game starts getting out of hand, because I'm a little concerned about what would happen if we needed to rely for meaningful minutes on a Gilbert, Hurt, or Sharp, which isn't that far-fetched a possibility, honestly. However, resting starters in a winnable road game that could really help our resume is probably not the best idea.

Silly is an understatement. They've clinched absolutely nothing and one loss can be the difference in getting a 5/6 seed or having to play in an 8/9 game. As we've already seen with this team, one loss can cause a domino effect and we need to be firing on all cylinders come tournament time.

I'd like to see more Hurt. I've liked what I've seen so far, but I'm worried he's getting game rusty.

They still have a legitimate shot at the 4th seed, if they beat either Wisconsin or Maryland and take care of business at home. Northwestern's remaining schedule is tough and Michigan St is certainly capable of finishing 2-2.

So it looks like everyone agrees this is a great idea.

This is insane. Resting college players? They get plenty of time off and are 19-23 years old.

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read in gopherhole history and I have read a lot of ridiculous things.

I have never heard of college players being rested ever. Also funny to call this thread a debate before it's a debate....silly idea would have done the trick.

Practice, prepare smart

You "rest" players between games by watching more film, preparing for different schemes and match-ups and going lighter in practice. Pitino has been very good about this with either short turnarounds or overtime games where guys have played a lot of minutes. They're 18-22 year olds, they'll be fine.

There are a lot of gamers on this squad. None of them want to come out of a game because they're tired, and lately Pitino hasn't used that as a reason for taking a guy off the floor. It's either after a costly turnover or due to foul trouble. I was surprised he didn't at least put Lynch in late in regulation to at least give Curry a breather, but he's asking guys to get tough and gut it out, and they're responding. Lynch has to realize sooner rather than later how valuable he is on the floor and value his minutes more. It's maddening watching the fouls he commits when he either doesn't move his feet or doesn't keep his hands straight up one someone trying to score in the post.

Maryland is absolutely a winnable game, but it starts with not letting Trimble get wherever he wants on the floor. Gophers are also going to have to shoot better, got the luxury of a home win with Coffey, Mason and Springs struggling with their shot. I'd look for Coffey to be more aggressive on Wednesday. As his dad said in the Strib this weekend, he needs to take more risks. Gophers are in a great spot, needing 1 more win to be an NCAA lock with home games left against Penn State and Nebraska.

This isn't the NBA with an 82 game season. You definitely don't need to sit guys although I do agree with those that have said maybe you extend the bench just a little when possible. Bottom line is that the team needs to keep on winning so the best players need to be on the court. Rest them as much as possible between games.

They still have a legitimate shot at the 4th seed, if they beat either Wisconsin or Maryland and take care of business at home. Northwestern's remaining schedule is tough and Michigan St is certainly capable of finishing 2-2.

Michigan State senior guard Eron Harris (knee) out for the season

Link

You "rest" players between games by watching more film, preparing for different schemes and match-ups and going lighter in practice. Pitino has been very good about this with either short turnarounds or overtime games where guys have played a lot of minutes. They're 18-22 year olds, they'll be fine.

There are a lot of gamers on this squad. None of them want to come out of a game because they're tired, and lately Pitino hasn't used that as a reason for taking a guy off the floor. It's either after a costly turnover or due to foul trouble. I was surprised he didn't at least put Lynch in late in regulation to at least give Curry a breather, but he's asking guys to get tough and gut it out, and they're responding. Lynch has to realize sooner rather than later how valuable he is on the floor and value his minutes more. It's maddening watching the fouls he commits when he either doesn't move his feet or doesn't keep his hands straight up one someone trying to score in the post.

Maryland is absolutely a winnable game, but it starts with not letting Trimble get wherever he wants on the floor. Gophers are also going to have to shoot better, got the luxury of a home win with Coffey, Mason and Springs struggling with their shot. I'd look for Coffey to be more aggressive on Wednesday. As his dad said in the Strib this weekend, he needs to take more risks. Gophers are in a great spot, needing 1 more win to be an NCAA lock with home games left against Penn State and Nebraska.

Absolutely fine with Lynch sitting late in games until his IQ on the defensive end improves. Some of the fouls he's gotten this year are inexplicable. Curry, right now is the the much better option in late game situations.

I think others are being harsh. Would I do it?...no. However, situation might dictate the approach.

Maryland sat Trimble against Wisconsin due to fatigue and concern for how that might spill over to future games....

He was tired, he was carrying us, he missed two free throws he never misses. If we had made a little run, I would have put him back in. We got four games in 10 days [coming up]. Wisconsin was dominating the game.”

Also, I'm concerned about the minutes Coffey is playing and the impact come March. He was noticeably limping at the end of Michigan. Especially with his history of injuries.

So when we did that at home and lost....

Slowing him down doesn't mean to just limit his scoring. He had 9 assists in the first game, and a number of those came late in the 2nd half when they took over.

Top Bottom