"Hidden timeouts" during late-in-game official reviews

BarnBoy

Reaction score
I realize we could have just as easy been on the other side of this, so this is a question, not a complaint. what's everyone's thinking on these types of hidden timeouts? (Out of bounds review under a minute allowed a timeout-less MI to draw up a play)

Why not prevent the teams from huddling with their coach during this "under a minute reviews"? It seems any competitive advantage gained by forcing a team to use up their timeouts early in the game are sort of thrown out the window.

I realize we could have just as easy been on the other side of this, so this is a question, not a complaint. what's everyone's thinking on these types of hidden timeouts? (Out of bounds review under a minute allowed a timeout-less MI to draw up a play)

Why not prevent the teams from huddling with their coach during this "under a minute reviews"? It seems any competitive advantage gained by forcing a team to use up their timeouts early in the game are sort of thrown out the window.
Agreed. Seems logical to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They (along with "timeouts" after a foul out) annoy me so much I would rather they get every single call wrong then go to the monitor to update a tenth of a second to the clock.

But how could you force teams not to huddle? Make then all do push-ups? Each team's player have to go to the other team's coach?

Both coaches get to plan so there is no real advantage. Only real option is ditch the review- which is't really a great option.

But how could you force teams not to huddle? Make then all do push-ups? Each team's player have to go to the other team's coach?

Both coaches get to plan so there is no real advantage. Only real option is ditch the review- which is't really a great option.

Not sure I follow your logic. You would require the teams to stay on the court. If they got near their coach, they would be shot with a taser.

Each team would have to stand in their respective free throw circles during the review.

Automatic technical for stepping out.

Both teams are getting time with their coach. It's a neutral advantage with the right call being made. Aside from pace of game how can you be upset?

Not sure I follow your logic. You would require the teams to stay on the court. If they got near their coach, they would be shot with a taser.

they should need to jump a wide moat with crocodiles in the gap

Both teams are getting time with their coach. It's a neutral advantage with the right call being made. Aside from pace of game how can you be upset?

We're winning our games. I need to upset about something.

I agree that the hidden timeouts can be huge, especially if a team is out of time outs. If there is a ball that goes out of bounds with 10 seconds left and the trailing teams ends up with the call after a review (when they didn't have a timeout), then they just got a huge break. I think a similar issue occurs when these hidden timeouts serve to "freeze" a free throw shooter in critical moments of a game.

We're winning our games. I need to upset about something.

Me too. It sounds snarky if I complain about losing an 8 point lead and we still win the game.
I was all ready getting some drafts together to flame away, but dangit if we didn't win it in overtime making me happy.

I hate being happy.

Me too. It sounds snarky if I complain about losing an 8 point lead and we still win the game.
I was all ready getting some drafts together to flame away, but dangit if we didn't win it in overtime making me happy.

I hate being happy.

Gotta get that hot take out there first.....

The rule only requires the players to stay on the court. That's it. Neutral, yes, but a slight advantage to the offensive team if no timeouts remaining and seconds left in the game.

Top Bottom