double teams

manny77

Reaction score
Another nail biter but a win. My question the last few games is this, it seems when other teams double the ball, our guards are pushed out and there doesn't seem to be any open players to pass to, and when we double team the ball at the top, the other team always seem to find an open man. Any one have thoughts on this? Is it spacing, or guards aren't seeing the open mad or something else?

Another nail biter but a win. My question the last few games is this, it seems when other teams double the ball, our guards are pushed out and there doesn't seem to be any open players to pass to, and when we double team the ball at the top, the other team always seem to find an open man. Any one have thoughts on this? Is it spacing, or guards aren't seeing the open mad or something else?

Good question. I think part of it is the fact that we don't have a big that is a major threat and can go up and get a pass. Even Lynch isn't on the floor more than half the game.

Good question. I think part of it is the fact that we don't have a big that is a major threat and can go up and get a pass. Even Lynch isn't on the floor more than half the game.
I agree. One, few cutters. Two, not good passers (Murph, Bakary, Lynch...Curry is tho). Three, our guards do not drop to the post well on the weak side. In general, our weak side D needs to improve to force a kick-out instead of a cutter thru the middle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree. One, few cutters. Two, not good passers (Murph, Bakary, Lynch...Curry is tho). Three, our guards do not drop to the post well on the weak side. In general, our weak side D needs to improve to force a kick-out instead of a cutter thru the middle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll also add that our bigs haven't really shown they can step back and hit a 3 when their defender doubles the ball handler. I think with time Curry becomes this guy. Curry setting a pick for Isaiah Washington for a few years is going to really be fun to watch.

My question the last few games is this, it seems when other teams double the ball, our guards are pushed out and there doesn't seem to be any open players to pass to

This is an excellent point which I've noticed a lot more lately. It was really bad watching Mason dribble around for a country mile when doubled vs. IU. Who's missing the recognition? Pass the dang ball because there's a guy open somewhere. Granted, the B1G defenses are tougher than our non-conference opponents' defenses, but we moved the ball so much better earlier in the year.

I was just wondering, is the guy setting the pick not high enough or is the guards not using the screen properly or something else? Getting pushed out also cuts into the shot clock and teams watch video and see that it causes us problems.

Last night, Michigan tried to double Mason. Mase split the double and found Murphy for a dunk. It was a gamble on Michigans part and it burnt them.

Pick and roll

In answering what to do against the double team,mMost of our pick and rolls are with Lynch or Murphy setting the pick. They could spot open in the high post but neither player is good from there. That is why when Curry is in he is a bit more effective as the 15 foot shot is in his range. The 3 pointer is not.

I was just wondering, is the guy setting the pick not high enough or is the guards not using the screen properly or something else? Getting pushed out also cuts into the shot clock and teams watch video and see that it causes us problems.

Top Bottom