Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Coach P.J. Fleck - 2/19/17

DL65

Reaction score
Coach P.J. Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle at 10:30. According to Dave Mona, Fleck will be appearing at the 10:30 time slot on future Sundays as well. Today’s interview was live. The past two Sunday interviews were taped by Sid Hartman.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/759568?referrer_id=331171

1) Sid asked how the slogan Row the Boat came about:

P.J. Fleck gave some personal history about the phrase. On February 9, 2011 his son passed away due to a heart condition. “Never give up is the mantra.” He said even when great loss and adversity comes into one’s life you fight on.

Sid in a follow up asked about the slogan Row the Boat for the program:

Fleck said its part of the culture change that he’s bringing to the Gopher team
and fan base. He wants the program to connect with people who may not be
interested in football. They’ll be handing out colored oars that can represent
organizations who advocate the battle with adversity/illnesses, i.e., cancer,
autism, etc.

2) Sid asked what the players are doing now in the off season:

Fleck said the players are participating in winter conditioning, film study on their own. “They truly want to get better,” Fleck said. As a team connection exercise, Fleck said they played whiffle ball yesterday.

3) Sid asked if Fleck thought the nine recruits that had committed to Western Michigan and then Minnesota can play in the Big 10:

“Not any doubt in my mind,” Fleck quickly responded. He said the players had Big 10 offers. The bigger question, “Can they make us a better team?” Fleck sounded very confident in the players’ abilities.

4) Sid brought up the topic of a shortage of offensive linemen and defensive tackles for spring ball:

“We’re going to be short this spring . . . we don’t have a freshman or sophomore at defensive tackle . . . We’re going to fix (the problem/shortage) internally with high school athletes,” Fleck answered. The last part of his response pretty much answers the question about juco transfers to correct the depth problem.

5) Dave Mona asked about cooking classes and date night classes for the team:

Fleck said the classes are for life skills development, “We need to produce better husbands and fathers as possible.” The date night classes will be held in June and July. He didn’t say it, but the classes are probably a part of the culture change that he frequently mentions. He said the classes, for some, are probably new to them – how to ask a person out for a date.

6) Sid asked about recruiting and the three spots available for 2017 class:

Fleck’s first comment was related to the 2018 class. He said they’ve got three commits.

As to the three available scholarships, Fleck said they might see transfers after spring games or players who became academically eligible late in the recruiting process. If they don’t hand out the three available scholarships they’ll be carried forward to next year’s class.

7) The topic of morning practices was raised:

Fleck is a strong proponent of morning practices. He would like to start the practice in the fall and then spring. By having morning practices he wants the players to focus on academia and study hall and nothing else in the afternoon. Additionally, Fleck would like the practices to be motivational for the players – “set the day.”

8) Sid mentioned Lou Holtz packing the stadium for the spring game. He wanted to know if Fleck plans to do the same thing:

“We want it to be about everybody . . . celebrate the past and future . . . I’m here to bring new change . . . need everybody,” Fleck replied. He didn’t promise to fill the stadium for the spring game, however to be successful he said everyone has to be engaged in the program.

9) Dave Mona mentioned the number of recruits visiting Minnesota this weekend:

Fleck said, “We’re having a big Junior Day . . . about 100 young men . . . hope to get a few more commits in the next few days.” His tone was that he’s excited with the recruits that are visiting and that he’d be meeting the large group after he was finished with the Sports Huddle.

Go Gophers!!

5) Dave Mona asked about cooking classes and date night classes for the team:

Fleck said the classes are for life skills development, “We need to produce better husbands and fathers as possible.” The date night classes will be held in June and July. He didn’t say it, but the classes are probably a part of the culture change that he frequently mentions. He said the classes, for some, are probably new to them – how to ask a person out for a date.

These are more of the underrated parts of the culture change. Better husbands, better fathers, better employees. That last one is why the headphone rule was put into place, if I remember correctly. Similar to the collared shirt rule and keeping your locker organized.

These are things that won't show up in the team's GPA or APR score. But they will show up down the road for these players after college.

Thanks for the report sir! Always very much appreciated!

Excellent read as always DL- thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are more of the underrated parts of the culture change. Better husbands, better fathers, better employees. That last one is why the headphone rule was put into place, if I remember correctly. Similar to the collared shirt rule and keeping your locker organized.

These are things that won't show up in the team's GPA or APR score. But they will show up down the road for these players after college.

I'm fine with the change. . . but really? You are comparing academic success with wearing a collared shirt in college and being able to cook? I have no issue with the collared shirt thing, but cooking? Do you think we should put them in sewing classes? Landscaping classes?

A team's GPA and APR is so much more important than any of that stuff. The world is full of extremely successful people who wore a hoodie to college classes. The world is full of kind and successful people who wear headphones when they work out (go to a gym, most of the people doing the MOST work are wearing headphones).

I guess all of this kind of stuff can be a fun team activity, but it's silly to think this stuff generates success. I like some of it (sitting in the front, even the collared shirt thing, I get), but some of it isn't about preparing these guys for stuff down the road.

Learning how to cook is I believe is a great thing. Gals love the fact that their boyfriend or husband can cook. You'll typically eat healthier have more fun in a relationship. I think it is a great thing.

I'm fine with the change. . . but really? You are comparing academic success with wearing a collared shirt in college and being able to cook? I have no issue with the collared shirt thing, but cooking? Do you think we should put them in sewing classes? Landscaping classes?

A team's GPA and APR is so much more important than any of that stuff. The world is full of extremely successful people who wore a hoodie to college classes. The world is full of kind and successful people who wear headphones when they work out (go to a gym, most of the people doing the MOST work are wearing headphones).

I guess all of this kind of stuff can be a fun team activity, but it's silly to think this stuff generates success. I like some of it (sitting in the front, even the collared shirt thing, I get), but some of it isn't about preparing these guys for stuff down the road.

Chill out.

Learning how to cook is I believe is a great thing. Gals love the fact that their boyfriend or husband can cook. You'll typically eat healthier have more fun in a relationship. I think it is a great thing.

Right on. Then you become a tailgating stud!

The world is full of kind and successful people who wear headphones when they work out (go to a gym, most of the people doing the MOST work are wearing headphones).
How about at your office or place of employment? Think the bosses enjoy trying to communicate with someone who is wearing noise-cancelling headphones?

I'm suddenly worried now since my kids didn't play college sports and missed out on these things now that they graduated. Who is going to fill in that gap for them? Wait...I didn't play college sports either, but I know how to cook and date.

Why do people think college athletes wear headphones while doing team workouts?

Why do people think college athletes wear headphones while doing team workouts?
Because people think this rule is only for the workout room, so they assume that must be how things used to be.

The headphone rule is for the entire team facility, I believe.

How about at your office or place of employment? Think the bosses enjoy trying to communicate with someone who is wearing noise-cancelling headphones?

I work in a law office. People often have their earbuds in when they are working. It's extremely common. I clerked for a judge who would wear earbuds when he was working.

You obviously have to be respectful and take them out when you're having a conversation or when you need to be listening for things.

Chill out.

bizarre response. I'm not upset at all. It doesn't really bother me that they won't be able to wear headphones, like I don't think it's a big deal. I just think it's funny when the Fleckophiles point to that as something that is going to help people down the road in life.

bizarre response. I'm not upset at all. It doesn't really bother me that they won't be able to wear headphones, like I don't think it's a big deal. I just think it's funny when the Fleckophiles point to that as something that is going to help people down the road in life.

You went on a 3 paragraph rant because someone agreed with PJ that things like learning to cook, dressing nicely, and pulling the headphones out of their ears once in a while will teach young adults how to be better fathers, husbands, and employees.

And somehow that makes him a "fleckophile." Whatever that is. It clearly hit a nerve.

Thanks again DL. You're the best!! Yes cooking classes and date night are great ideas. Does it win more games? Probably not, but it can be a team activity which has to be good. Anything to build up trust in your teammates is worth while. As a parent, I guess if my son was having to choose between two programs, where one is football 24/7 and the other had activities like how to cook, how to be responsible on a date, and also football. No question where I would recommend.

When you cook for you are doing something for someone else. Seems in line with the message.

The little things become the big things. Good for Fleck.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Even if it doesn't help win any games, if you are at a team cooking class or date night I can think of at least one activity you are NOT engaging in.

Fleckophobe.

Cooking is an essential to living a healthy lifestyle and being a good dad.
Maybe if you think it's the 1950's, you didn't cook. But it's refreshing to see the culture change at so many levels where these players will be equal partners in a working relationship as parents of the next generation.

Even if it doesn't help win any games, if you are at a team cooking class or date night I can think of at least one activity you are NOT engaging in.

I think this goes a long ways for these young men to understand relationships of 2018 and the future. Men will cook as much if not more than women. Some of these players maybe never learned the right way to approach a woman in an equal relationship to ask them out.

These are things that people might think aren't important, but it's great because it will teach them to respect others even more.

I think cooking class is fine. I also think some are thinking waaay too deeply about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Lighten up, Francis."

All of these things are nice stories now. Seems the media is trying to promote the positive going on, which is a nice change.
None of this will matter unless the Gophers win football games.

I think this goes a long ways for these young men to understand relationships of 2018 and the future. Men will cook as much if not more than women. Some of these players maybe never learned the right way to approach a woman in an equal relationship to ask them out.

These are things that people might think aren't important, but it's great because it will teach them to respect others even more.

I got this same speech from my Dad...35 years ago. When I left for college I knew how to cook, do laundry, grocery shop, etc., and how to treat women. It's called parenting. If I forgot the last one, one of my older sisters would make sure I remembered.

All this stuff he's promoting, and believe me, that's what he is doing, is great. But to make it sound like stuff like this wasn't already going on is silly.

The vast majority of these young men come with a solid foundation. To think otherwise is doing them a great disservice.

Top Bottom