Brennan Armstrong commits

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Pretty glowing review, he sounds like the type of kid you want to be bringing in, especially at the QB position.

Seriously? What part? He has a beautiful throwing motion. His sophomore highlights show him making some throws that I doubt Mitch can
make to this day.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The part where I said Mitch had a long awkward delivery like lefties. I think this kid throws left handed, and they look awkward to me.

I'm making 0 comparisons other than "looks like".

Does Streveler count? He started one game - and completed one pass. (I still think he could have been a productive player in the right situation with his physical tools - maybe a change-of-pace QB for a few series, or run the option on goal-line situations.)

Reading about Armstrong, it does give some hints on the type of QB that Fleck is looking for. More emphasis on quick, accurate passers and less emphasis on big, strong guys that can run.

I was counting anyone, even backups.

Side note - - I agree with you on Streveler. I was surprised and disappointed that we moved him to WR at the time. He'd be our starter (probably clear cut) right now and he would have likely gotten significant PT last year.

But I thought Streveler was right handed?

Excellent job by the staff- kids sophomore HUDL tape is very encouraging. Also love the reviewer who states he's the smartest kid on the field. Nice to have the QB spot filled for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a good QB early in the recruiting cycle is a huge plus. Typically they are the team leaders and he can become a recruiter for the offensive side. Nice job coach.

Strev was definitely right handed.

Though to be fair, he completed almost as many passes with his left hand as he did with his right.

per CBS:

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound prep gave the staff his word on Saturday night before announcing this morning his intent to commit to Fleck and the Gophers. "They (Minnesota Coaches) were so excited!! I think Coach Fleck was surprised, he was super happy!!"

Armstrong visited the U just over a week ago. He called it a “great” visit and noted he had a lot to process in the coming days. Fleck’s attention to detail was an attention grabber however. "The way Coach Fleck does things at the school, it's such a great way of doing things," Armstrong told 247Sports after his visit.

Brennan chose Minnesota ultimately over offers from Iowa State, Virginia, Cincy, UNC and Rutgers among others.

"Everything is why I committed to Minnesota," he said of his verbal. "The football program and where it's headed, the academic and the opportunities with the city right there, and also the people there! Love Coach Fleck!

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ar-qb-brennan-armstrong-commits-to-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like we're done recruiting qb for the year

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I doubt that. I'm sure if the right guy becomes interested, we'd be happy to take two.

"What put Minnesota over the other schools recruiting me was definitely coach Fleck. He's just a great fit for me at a school I want to play at, and everything just aligned for me at Minnesota. The people overall at Minnesota when I was on my visit were just different, and those are the kind of people I want to be around. I'll be able to get a great business degree for their business school, and the football program is already in a good place, but I'll be able to help coach Fleck really take it to the next level now. When I called him tonight to commit, he told me now that I'm in the boat, I'll be in the only quarterback they take for the 2018 class, so they'll be done now. I'm just so happy that this weight is off my back, and that I can tell you the recruiting process is over and that I'm a Golden Gopher now."

He was told by Fleck that he will be the only QB in the 2018 class. He looks pretty solid on film and I think he can become a good player but I was hoping that they try to land a higher ranked player like Mayden or Sitkowsi but only time will tell who pans out and who doesn't nonetheless solid get.

Side note - - I agree with you on Streveler. I was surprised and disappointed that we moved him to WR at the time. He'd be our starter (probably clear cut) right now and he would have likely gotten significant PT last year.

Boy, I have to disagree. He couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag. Fleck's offense focuses on the QB making quick high percentage passes and not as a planned part of the running game. Can't see Streveler starting in that offense.

Boy, I have to disagree. He couldn't pass his way out of a paper bag. Fleck's offense focuses on the QB making quick high percentage passes and not as a planned part of the running game. Can't see Streveler starting in that offense.

Agreed. Streveler wouldn't sniff the field at qb. One of the ugliest passers I've ever seen. I believe he threw for 7 yards in his one start a few years ago. Ran great that game but 7 yards in the air. That's almost impossible.

Agreed. Streveler wouldn't sniff the field at qb. One of the ugliest passers I've ever seen. I believe he threw for 7 yards in his one start a few years ago. Ran great that game but 7 yards in the air. That's almost impossible.

Not if you don't call pass plays.

Watched a few USD games this past season - He still sucks as a thrower.

Yeah, a lot of why I wanted us to keep Streveler at WR was based on the fact that I didn't have much faith in Mitch and I he'd be a 5th year SR this year.

He threw the ball pretty well at South Dakota last year (based solely on the stats) and he's always been athletic.

I guess I have a hard time believing that Streveler is not a better QB than Rhoda. I'm not ripping on Rhoda, I'm happy he stuck around and I love the story of walkons becoming a helpful part of the program.

Let's watch Mitch's highlights from this season. All 4 passing TDs.

Are you really going to make me point out that Mitch had 8 passing TDs? I'm not saying Mitch was any good, but I'm not going to say this kid is any better at this point. I sure hope so, and based on interest in him I'd be willing to bet he will be better.

Top Bottom