Brennan Armstrong commits

Cayman

Reaction score
3 star QB from Ohio with a handful of power conference offers

More great news. Coming strong, doing early!

Good news. Early commits help us focus on other areas of need, since we seem to have so many. Glad to see Ohio kids committing early to MN.

Looks like Mitch Leidner. I always thought Mitch was left handed, he had that long awkward delivery like many lefties have.

Question for those that have played/coached football: When you bring in a left-handed QB, does that change how you recruit left tackles vs right tackles with there being a different 'blind side?' Or are the skills essentially the same?

Question for those that have played/coached football: When you bring in a left-handed QB, does that change how you recruit left tackles vs right tackles with there being a different 'blind side?' Or are the skills essentially the same?

Typically no, at least not at the NFL level. There could be a few more factors in the NFL that make it unique, but I would think they would just leave the OL the way it is. They might put more of a premium on pass blocking if the QB is left-handed, but I've never really heard of them switching. I know LT and RT hate to switch sides, like there is an adjustment period (that isn't saying it can't be done).

Welcome aboard Brennan!

He is an impressive kid and it is nice to get that solid QB commit early. I'm already excited for the Armstrong vs. Morgan arguments on GH!

P.S. I don't really get the Mitch comparisons. This kid is much further along than Mitch was as a passer in HS. However, Mitch was also more of an athletic freak. A lot of people thought Mitch would eventually be a DE or TE when he was recruited. I don't think Brennan has that kind of physicality. Maybe he's a bit faster?

Typically no, at least not at the NFL level. There could be a few more factors in the NFL that make it unique, but I would think they would just leave the OL the way it is. They might put more of a premium on pass blocking if the QB is left-handed, but I've never really heard of them switching. I know LT and RT hate to switch sides, like there is an adjustment period (that isn't saying it can't be done).

Thanks, man!

When is the last time the Gophers have had a lefty? Ever?

Have the Gophers ever had this many early verbal commitments from out of state this early in the process?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like Mitch Leidner. I always thought Mitch was left handed, he had that long awkward delivery like many lefties have.

Seriously? What part? He has a beautiful throwing motion. His sophomore highlights show him making some throws that I doubt Mitch can
make to this day.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shifty and elusive in the pocket. Does a nice job of avoiding the rush, while keeping his eyes down field to find a receiver.

Saw a few examples in HUDL film of improvising and making a heads up play. Intangibles like that can be difference between winning and losing.

Probably not a home run threat as a runner, but shows enough to move the chains.

Appears to have nice touch on deep balls and adequate zip on timing throws.

Wonder how this impacts Trey Lance's chances at an offer?

I can't remember one. . . lol

Does Streveler count? He started one game - and completed one pass. (I still think he could have been a productive player in the right situation with his physical tools - maybe a change-of-pace QB for a few series, or run the option on goal-line situations.)

Reading about Armstrong, it does give some hints on the type of QB that Fleck is looking for. More emphasis on quick, accurate passers and less emphasis on big, strong guys that can run.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The article regarding ranking.....

"Armstrong is definitely under consideration for 4 star status."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He moves well. Thought I was looking at Tony Poljan video at first with the running ability.
Throws a nice ball and has a quicker release than Tanner Morgan.

Top Bottom