Sid Hartman: U has depth concerns

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you forgot we are talking about DTs, but your numbers are way off. We have zero DTs that are not JRs or SRs that have any playing (heck even DI practice) experience. That is a recruiting fault. 'Twas my only point.

Yeah, it was a definite failure of Claeys/Kill.

They didn't recruit enough DTs and a couple of them fizzled out (transfered) - - Mose Hall, Owen Salzwedal (spelling).

We definitely should have brought in at least 1 DT last year.

We have 30 interior defensive linemen on the roster? I'd love to see what roster you're looking at

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you forgot we are talking about DTs, but your numbers are way off. We have zero DTs that are not JRs or SRs that have any playing (heck even DI practice) experience. That is a recruiting fault. 'Twas my only point.

Minnesota has 30 potential DL. There is no vacuum., only opportunity. It's why we know less than the coaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if we redshirted Silver solely so we will have some more able bodies in 2019. He would likely help this year, but man will we need him the next 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they can get by without using him it would be great but we'd need to be extraordinarily healthy

According to ESPN roster, (excluding the expelled players) we currently have 11 D linemen plus 7 incoming freshmen. Granted some may transfer and some freshen might be ready but barring massive injuries if we run a 3-4 defense we would only need 5 or 6 in a rotation, or in a 4-3, 6 or 7 in rotation. Yes we will be light on the D line but players could switch position if needed TE to DL or OL to DL or vice versa. We currently have 13 OL (excluding the transfers) and 4 incoming freshmen.

I like the young guys we have but they are young and we have no idea how they'll do. Why I'd love to get 2 JUCO's this class.

What young guys? The only young guys we have are currently in high school or JUCO. That's the issue, there is literally no one.

In most cases DT and DE are not interchangeable. Shouldn't look at them that way.

Minnesota has 30 potential DL. There is no vacuum., only opportunity. It's why we know less than the coaching staff.

Looks like the last staff knew less than GopherHole since they didn't have a single underclassmen DT. Admit it, they f'ed up.

What young guys? The only young guys we have are currently in high school or JUCO. That's the issue, there is literally no one.

Thise are exactly who I'm talking about. I like them but it sucks that we're going to be forced to play some because we have no one else. I like long term future of them, not thrilled we have to play them next year

I agree with your overall point, but this is my big concern with the previous staff. I realize DT is hard to recruit, and we cannot always have highly talented kids in the pipeline, but we are talking about having NOBODY. Non Power 5 schools and below somehow find a way to fill these positions, and we are left with a vacuum. It's inexcusable...if Northern Iowa or Toledo have DTs on their roster, we should have been able to get them. They may not be great, but at least they are bodies.

Pretty preposterous statement. Those teams you cite have DT/DL about the size of Gophs linebackers.

In most cases DT and DE are not interchangeable. Shouldn't look at them that way.

I just don't buy it. To say we can't develop a current DE or other big body to become DT is just seems short-sighted in thought, and discounts the coaching staff's ability. The obvious example is Hageman. TE.

I just don't buy it. To say we can't develop a current DE or other big body to become DT is just seems short-sighted in thought, and discounts the coaching staff's ability. The obvious example is Hageman. TE.

I think the only player who could make any sense switching over is Beebe. I don't think any of our DE's are large enough and I don't think any of our OL are athletic enough to play DT.

Yeah, it was a definite failure of Claeys/Kill.

They didn't recruit enough DTs and a couple of them fizzled out (transfered) - - Mose Hall, Owen Salzwedal (spelling).

We definitely should have brought in at least 1 DT last year.

Gophs were top 15 in rush defense last year.

I think the only player who could make any sense switching over is Beebe. I don't think any of our DE's are large enough and I don't think any of our OL are athletic enough to play DT.

They moved Stelter. Came in at about 250 as a DE. Started at DT as Soph in 2015 at about 275. There are plenty of DLs in the 280+ range right now.

Sky is not falling. Gophs will be fine on the D line.

To clarify, the previous staff had solid d-lines. They were never able to find a good pass rushing DE, but solid nonetheless. Next year we should be fine. Richardson, Stelter, and Jackson will make for a nice senior core. The problem will be in 2018, when all of those guys are gone.

To clarify, the previous staff had solid d-lines. They were never able to find a good pass rushing DE, but solid nonetheless. Next year we should be fine. Richardson, Stelter, and Jackson will make for a nice senior core. The problem will be in 2018, when all of those guys are gone.

Fleck recruited heavy this year and will next year. I'm not that concerned.

Gophs were top 15 in rush defense last year.

I meant that there is a pretty big vacuum after this year. Our DL has been a strength and will continue to be a strength next season.

Top Bottom