Sid Hartman: U has depth concerns

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

U has depth concerns

One of the Gophers’ big issues going into this season is their offensive line, which will be hurting for depth and experience. And Fleck also said the defensive line is going to be an issue as well.

“Very short,” he said. “We’re going to go into spring with only six offensive linemen, so it’s going to be very interesting this spring. I have gone through this before in my very first year at Western Michigan University.

“We also don’t have a redshirt freshman, a true freshman, a sophomore, we have one junior on the roster in terms of defensive tackles, so we have a defensive tackle hole as well that we have to be able to fill. The hole being filled won’t actually be here until the freshmen arrive in the summer. So we have some challenges, but we’re going to have to be creative in how we practice, but we’ll do it.”

When asked if the team could look to junior colleges to fill holes, Fleck said that isn’t his preferred method.

“You know what, I don’t know if I’m going to go the junior college route,” he said. “I love to bring the high school players in and I love to develop them from the high school level up all the way until they graduate and get them ready for life and the National Football League. Not saying we won’t, but we are going to err on the side of taking a high school player. At times will we take the junior college player, yes. But I’d prefer to take the high school player first.”

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-aims-to-maintain-gophers-close-ties-to-state-coaches/414171863/

Go Gophers!!

Don't get me wrong I really like Fleck. But the above kind of reminds me of Lou Holtz.

I know Fleck doesn't like JUCO's but I think he's gonna be forced to take a few next class

I agree- PJ was left a pretty thin DT corp and I'd be surprised if he didn't need to go after a couple stop gaps. Otherwise I think most positions have reasonably spaced depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love to bring the high school players in and I love to develop them from the high school level up all the way until they graduate

Good he says this, but not sure if he has seen any of the players he got out of high school go all the way through this process when he was at WMU as a head coach. No big deal, just thought it was amusing.

I love to bring the high school players in and I love to develop them from the high school level up all the way until they graduate

Good he says this, but not sure if he has seen any of the players he got out of high school go all the way through this process when he was at WMU as a head coach. No big deal, just thought it was amusing.
Really? He's got one of the top WRs in the draft and a top OT that will likely be drafted by the 3rd round or higher.

Really? He's got one of the top WRs in the draft and a top OT that will likely be drafted by the 3rd round or higher.
They graduated from college early? Because they would have had to graduate right after the bowl game when Fleck left WMU. Maybe I have the timing wrong?

They graduated from college early? Because they would have had to graduate right after the bowl game when Fleck left WMU. Maybe I have the timing wrong?
Taylor Moton OT has been at WMU for 4 and 1/2 years. Since most undergrads take summer classes, I'd be shocked if he hasn't graduated.
But, I thought you were carrying out the quote to the NFL comment that Fleck made suggesting that he wasn't getting his players into the NFL.
I don't believe his 4 year tenure at WMU contradicts his comment that he enjoys taking athletes through the process from beginning to end. He's just making a comment about enjoying the process. Since the average tenure of a college coach at a program is around 5 years, there aren't that many coaches that are around for the whole process. Most 5 year players will play for more than one head coach unless they're fortunate.

Taylor Moton OT has been at WMU for 4 and 1/2 years. Since most undergrads take summer classes, I'd be shocked if he hasn't graduated.
But, I thought you were carrying out the quote to the NFL comment that Fleck made suggesting that he wasn't getting his players into the NFL.
I don't believe his 4 year tenure at WMU contradicts his comment that he enjoys taking athletes through the process from beginning to end. He's just making a comment about enjoying the process. Since the average tenure of a college coach at a program is around 5 years, there aren't that many coaches that are around for the whole process. Most 5 year players will play for more than one head coach unless they're fortunate.

Sounds good. I stand corrected.

Defensive tackle recruiting was horrendous the past 3 years. We will feel some pain as a result of it after this season.

Defensive tackle recruiting was horrendous the past 3 years. We will feel some pain as a result of it after this season.

Maybe but it's also kinda hard to get a stand out anyone at DL without being the top programs. The really good DL are few and far between, not enough to go around.

Amen to that. I wonder if they move Elmore inside in some sets.

I like the young guys we have but they are young and we have no idea how they'll do. Why I'd love to get 2 JUCO's this class.

Maybe but it's also kinda hard to get a stand out anyone at DL without being the top programs. The really good DL are few and far between, not enough to go around.

I'll be polite and just disagree. For all the "coach 'em up" we heard from the previous regime, the units where they clearly fell short were on the O line and the interior of the D line. I somewhat blame the strength and conditioning side of the equation, because our guys simply haven't been big/strong enough since Hageman graduated. Richardson is clearly the exception to that, but it's his quickness more than his strength that makes him special.

I'll be polite and just disagree. For all the "coach 'em up" we heard from the previous regime, the units where they clearly fell short were on the O line and the interior of the D line. I somewhat blame the strength and conditioning side of the equation, because our guys simply haven't been big/strong enough since Hageman graduated. Richardson is clearly the exception to that, but it's his quickness more than his strength that makes him special.

I don't think that really relates to what I said, but ok.

My point is that not every top DL in the country ends up at a helmet school and for all the yapping by the previous regime about how they were going to take below the radar guys and "coach 'em up," the lines are the two places where they came up short and I don't think there's an excuse for that.

Richardson is clearly the exception to that, but it's his quickness more than his strength that makes him special.

Fully disagree. The dude is ridiculously strong. I'm not sure he's all that quick.

Fully disagree. The dude is ridiculously strong. I'm not sure he's all that quick.

He's very strong, but it's that dynamite first step that makes him special. He can stunt like crazy and he's in the backfield pronto.

To use a Fleckism we havw "ELITE" dept at runnning back and at line backer, those two positions we can have injuries and not miss a beat. Dline is solid for this year in the two deeps, though it will be dicey in 2018, so hopefully recruiting is a priority there, it may be good to bring a JUCO DT in for 2018. Secondary I like out depth at Safety, Winfield, McGhee, Huff, Handy-Holly, should be fine there. At CB losing Hardin and Buford is a huge blow, I'd feel better about it if Sawvel was still on staff, but I think this is where teams will pick us a part, hopefully the front seven is up to the task. QB is also a concern, but as much as liked Mitch, from a production standpoint, I feel pretty safe in saying next year's qb will throw more TD's and for more yards, the key will be turnover's. I like our TE's if Lingren is healthy, WR I feel like there is talent in this group, but the last staff just couldn't get it out of them. I know Mitch threw some ducks, but these guys dropped some throws right on the money and none of them except for Tyler Johnson have shown willingness on a consistent basis to go up and fight for a 50/50 ball

I wouldn't be surprised if we redshirted Silver solely so we will have some more able bodies in 2019. He would likely help this year, but man will we need him the next 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In general, unless you're a consistent top-20 program, you're going to have some depth issues at one position or another. I will agree that the previous coaching staff had trouble bringing in quality D-Linemen - hence the emphasis on linebackers.

That is the real issue for programs like MN that are in the good - but not great - area. The big boys can afford to swing-and-miss on a few recruits, because they likely have someone just as good waiting in line if a recruit doesn't pan out.

At MN, if they're counting on a particular recruit to shore up a position area, and that recruit doesn't pan out, it leaves a gap. swing-and-miss a couple years in a row, and it becomes a big gap.

Each staff is unique - they have strengths and weaknesses. If DL was a weakness for the previous staff, hopefully the new staff can do better. (of course, the flip side could also happen - an area that was a strength under the previous staff may turn out to be not so strong under the new staff. only time will tell.)

I mean any 3 star D-Lineman would be nice at this point.

I mean any 3 star D-Lineman would be nice at this point.

At this point I'm planning on working out a bit more in case they have to go into the stands next year for warm bodies for both the OL and DL.

In general, unless you're a consistent top-20 program, you're going to have some depth issues at one position or another. I will agree that the previous coaching staff had trouble bringing in quality D-Linemen - hence the emphasis on linebackers.

That is the real issue for programs like MN that are in the good - but not great - area. The big boys can afford to swing-and-miss on a few recruits, because they likely have someone just as good waiting in line if a recruit doesn't pan out.

At MN, if they're counting on a particular recruit to shore up a position area, and that recruit doesn't pan out, it leaves a gap. swing-and-miss a couple years in a row, and it becomes a big gap.

Each staff is unique - they have strengths and weaknesses. If DL was a weakness for the previous staff, hopefully the new staff can do better. (of course, the flip side could also happen - an area that was a strength under the previous staff may turn out to be not so strong under the new staff. only time will tell.)

I agree with your overall point, but this is my big concern with the previous staff. I realize DT is hard to recruit, and we cannot always have highly talented kids in the pipeline, but we are talking about having NOBODY. Non Power 5 schools and below somehow find a way to fill these positions, and we are left with a vacuum. It's inexcusable...if Northern Iowa or Toledo have DTs on their roster, we should have been able to get them. They may not be great, but at least they are bodies.

I agree with your overall point, but this is my big concern with the previous staff. I realize DT is hard to recruit, and we cannot always have highly talented kids in the pipeline, but we are talking about having NOBODY. Non Power 5 schools and below somehow find a way to fill these positions, and we are left with a vacuum. It's inexcusable...if Northern Iowa or Toledo have DTs on their roster, we should have been able to get them. They may not be great, but at least they are bodies.

We have 30 interior linemen on the roster. I don't think there's a vacuum.

I don't give a sh!t about having enough for a "spring game". Fall camp is what matters.

We need to remember that Fleck is doing everything he can to lower expectations for next season while simultaneously preaching elite and row the boat to players and fans.
We have a talented team coming back and our linemen will be healthy for August practices. In the meantime they all learn the playbook and walk through individual assignments.
The sky is NOT falling.

I don't give a sh!t about having enough for a "spring game". Fall camp is what matters.

We have 30 interior defensive linemen on the roster? I'd love to see what roster you're looking at

We might have to forfeit the Spring game with so few OL.
Those OL who had surgery will hopefully be able to participate on a limited basis to learn the drills, blocking schemes and offense.
By fall camp we won't need to be talking about a lack of depth anywhere.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you forgot we are talking about DTs, but your numbers are way off. We have zero DTs that are not JRs or SRs that have any playing (heck even DI practice) experience. That is a recruiting fault. 'Twas my only point.

My point is that not every top DL in the country ends up at a helmet school and for all the yapping by the previous regime about how they were going to take below the radar guys and "coach 'em up," the lines are the two places where they came up short and I don't think there's an excuse for that.

Oddly enough, some of our most highly rated recruits in the Kill era have probably been OL and some DL.

Pirsig - high 3 - offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Auburn, Michigan State, Wisconsin
C. Mayes - high 3 - offers from Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, KState and Baylor
Tyler Moore - highish 3 - offers from Texas, Colorado, Oregon State
Quinn Oseland - highish 3 - offers from Oregon, Mississippi State, Michigan State, Arizona State, Oklahoma State
Gaelin Elmore - high 3 - offers from Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin

I also think DL has been a strength of our program. Well, it certainly isn't our worst position during the Kill era. We struggled at QB, WR and OL. DL could have been better, but I really have a hard time thinking of DL is an area that really struggled under Kill/Claeys.

Top Bottom