Gopher players will run extra if lockers not organized, no collar shirts, etc

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

New mentality: Under Fleck, if Gophers players don’t have their uniforms properly organized at their lockers after workouts, they’ll run extra at the ensuing practice.

It’s also extra running if players are late, or miss a class, or don’t sit in the front two rows of class or don’t wear a collared shirt.

Fleck, by the way, will give opening remarks at the Spare Key Groove Gala Saturday at the Depot in downtown Minneapolis.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/1...ill-take-pitcher-hunter-greene-no-1-in-draft/

Go Gophers!!

All about discipline. I believe it will work.

If it translates to less pre snap penalties and proper play execution, row the damn boat.

Has organized lockers not been a focus before? Back in the 60's, in High School, if our locker was not organized one of our coaches would take everything out of the locker and throw it on the floor. You would come to practice and you became the focus of attention for the rest of the team, but not in a good way. I know first hand how that felt. Coaches did not make us run laps. They made us run bleachers. It was plural by the way. Everyone ran the hated bleachers.

Expectations. All good things I suppose. Lots of old school stuff. Lets see if this type of "culture" will produce a winning program. And if top recruits really want to do what Fleck requires of them.

Hopefully when Fleck introduces his expectations, they are presented in a way that describes the benefits of such expectations. Otherwise the teachable moment is lost. Fleck, being a teacher, probably understands this.

Expectations. All good things I suppose. Lots of old school stuff. Lets see if this type of "culture" will produce a winning program. And if top recruits really want to do what Fleck requires of them.

CONGRATS!!!! It only took 5 comments before we get the old Fleck negativity.

per Shooter:

New mentality: Under Fleck, if Gophers players don’t have their uniforms properly organized at their lockers after workouts, they’ll run extra at the ensuing practice.

It’s also extra running if players are late, or miss a class, or don’t sit in the front two rows of class or don’t wear a collared shirt.

Fleck, by the way, will give opening remarks at the Spare Key Groove Gala Saturday at the Depot in downtown Minneapolis.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/1...ill-take-pitcher-hunter-greene-no-1-in-draft/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. Other than the collared shirts, it gives the impression that the other things were not happening before.

CONGRATS!!!! It only took 5 comments before we get the old Fleck negativity.

I love it.

"God, I hope he knows what he's doing." "I'm worried." "If he keeps up with this coaching stuff that I don't understand at all we might...

...lose players.
...lose season ticket holders.
...go 0-12.
...scare atheists.
...have our pets' heads fall off."

You name it.

We haven't even had one practice.

Championships are all about doing the little things right 100%. Paying attention to detail... etc.... RTB

Correct. It is all about paying attention to details that allow you to do all the little thing correctly. Some older players may not see the connection and will not like it. They will feel that sitting in the front row or keeping my locker organized is BS and has nothing to do with their play on the field. While they may be correct, the point is that it is training to focus on the details. It is better to learn that focus off the field where it won't cost the team a game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look - there's being a hard-ass for the sake of being a hard-ass, and there's being a hard-ass for a reason and a purpose. Older sports fans will remember the name Les Steckel.

As someone said, if all of this is being clearly explained to the players: "here's what we do, and here's why we do it," I think players will accept that. If it's not explained - if it just comes off as a list of rules, then it's harder to get buy-in. I will give Fleck the benefit of the doubt (hear that, Flecksters) and assume he's got a good reason for what he does.

He's the coach, and he's got every right to set up the rules he wants.

I will just say this - you can be the most disciplined team in the world, and that may - or may not - translate to success on the field. Personally, if the left tackle can make a key block on 3rd-and-short to get the team a 1st down, I don't care if his locker is messy. If a WR drops balls in key situations, I don't care if he wears a collared shirt to class. In the end, it's all judged on results.

If kids want to transfer for not being able to wear a collared shirt for a couple hours and not having a organized locker transfer so be it.

My wife is a professor (at a different university) and she usually just rolls her eyes at the little factoids I serve up to her about sports, but she has been genuinely supportive of the changes that Fleck is trying to instill in the classrooms. She has had some frustrating experiences with athletes and thinks that some of these rules will go along way to helping these kids succeed in college/life.

My wife is a professor (at a different university) and she usually just rolls her eyes at the little factoids I serve up to her about sports, but she has been genuinely supportive of the changes that Fleck is trying to instill in the classrooms. She has had some frustrating experiences with athletes and thinks that some of these rules will go along way to helping these kids succeed in college/life.

Again, the assumption is that there were issues with FB student athletes in the classroom in the recent past. Not the case. Great improvement and academic achievement in the past several years. Gophs qualified for a bowl based on it for crying out loud.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...emic-progress-rate-apr-score-2014-2015-record

Again, the assumption is that there were issues with FB student athletes in the classroom in the recent past. Not the case. Great improvement and academic achievement in the past several years. Gophs qualified for a bowl based on it for crying out loud.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/...emic-progress-rate-apr-score-2014-2015-record

Did you read the article? The team is very close to a perfect score.

Sure, but JK & TC were apparently not teaching them to be good husbands or employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't meant to rip on the previous regime and their student athletes. The proof of their academic success is in your link...they did a great job. I think the sitting in the front two rows and actively communicating with professors is new, though. That is mainly what I was commenting on.

Not a whole lot needs to be improved upon as far as school goes, as the Kill/Claeys crew did the heavy lifting from the Brewster era...I just think the little things that Fleck is installing will help these kids immensely.

Didn't meant to rip on the previous regime and their student athletes. The proof of their academic success is in your link...they did a great job. I think the sitting in the front two rows and actively communicating with professors is new, though. That is mainly what I was commenting on.

Not a whole lot needs to be improved upon as far as school goes, as the Kill/Claeys crew did the heavy lifting from the Brewster era...I just think the little things that Fleck is installing will help these kids immensely.

Point is that you probably don't get the APR Gophs have achieved without intuitively doing things like those already. Seriously, is he going to have hall or class monitors who report back when a player is not in the first two rows?

Point is that you probably don't get the APR Gophs have achieved without intuitively doing things like those already. Seriously, is he going to have hall or class monitors who report back when a player is not in the first two rows?

Seriously, do you have to crap on everything Fleck does?

Seriously, do you have to crap on everything Fleck does?

Nope. I will point out the stuff that doesn't make sense, especially when it is needlessly hyped by posters as meaningful change like this stuff was...it's part of his schtick. He'll tell us it is so the class instructors are shown respect by his student athletes. There's an insinuation there. As an instructor, do I see that as a sign of respect if I know that it is mandatory and there is a punishment for not doing so? Hmmm.

Best outcome for me is that Fleck is able to maintain the academic standard now established and consistently win more games than his predecessors. I think he can.

Nope. I will point out the stuff that doesn't make sense, especially when it is needlessly hyped by posters as meaningful change like this stuff was...it's part of his schtick. He'll tell us it is so the class instructors are shown respect by his student athletes. There's an insinuation there. As an instructor, do I see that as a sign of respect if I know that it is mandatory and there is a punishment for not doing so? Hmmm.

Best outcome for me is that Fleck is able to maintain the academic standard now established and consistently win more games than his predecessors. I think he can.

This is getting tiresome. Your life is not affected by Fleck's team rules.

I believe Kill had people follow certain players around to make sure they were at class.

This is getting tiresome. Your life is not affected by Fleck's team rules.

You are correct on both. For some to spend time posting how this is something revolutionary that was sorely needed is, as you put it, tiresome, especially because it will have little to no affect on the team's already excellent academic performance.

I believe Kill had people follow certain players around to make sure they were at class.

I think most concerned coaches would do so if they felt there was a valid reason to do so.

You don't know that any of this is change. It might be a continuation. It might be more of this and less of that. All it said was this is the way it is now. And most posters agree that it's good stuff.... want to be a champion? Focus on your whole life and how it works. Make fun of this stuff or don't believe it, then you will always be one of those people who are wondering what could have been....

Top Bottom