STrib: Freshman Amir Coffey has helped transform Gophers basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Richard Pitino wanted the basketball in Amir Coffey’s hands for a chance to win the game.

The fourth-year Gophers coach called for his freshman to get a last-second shot on a ball screen. That screen never came.

With the play breaking down, Coffey showed his selflessness by passing to Akeem Springs, who eventually put back his own missed jumper with 3.2 seconds left for a 75-74 win against Indiana on Wednesday night at Williams Arena.

Coffey’s impact this season should not be measured with scoring totals alone. Although he ranks second on the team in points and high in other major categories, Coffey doesn’t always take the last shot or take over the game. But the 19-year-old from Hopkins is learning to be consistently aggressive and growing into a player who could thrive in go-to moments like the one that presented itself against the Hoosiers.

“I think I’ve been doing pretty well,” Coffey said Tuesday at the U’s athletic complex. “I’ve been scoring, getting assists, rebounding a little bit and trying to fill the stat sheet. I have the green light from my coaches. They’re going to let me make plays, bring the ball up the court, so I feel comfortable.”

http://www.startribune.com/freshman-amir-coffey-has-helped-transform-gophers-basketball/414171133/

Go Gophers!!

Pretty awesome numbers: "Leading that group of newcomers is Coffey. Going into Sunday’s game against Michigan, the lefthander is among the Big Ten’s top four freshmen in points (12.8), assists (3.5), assists-to-turnover ratio (plus-1.8), steals (1.2), minutes played (36.9) and three-point shooting percentage (43.2) in conference play."

Shaun Brown deserves a lot of credit. I was concerned about the size of Curry and Coffey this year but they put on a lot of bulk and strength quickly. Those guys don't back down or get knocked around much for freshmen.

"Coffey gained 12 pounds in the first two weeks, and eventually went from 180 to nearly 200 pounds. Curry went from 219 to 235."

Top Bottom