STrib Q&A with Pitino, talks turnaround, fan reaction and more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Pitino sure handles these questions well. Insightful, usually stays away from "coach speak," etc.

Q: This time last year, your team was 0-13 in the Big Ten and a lot of us were talking about the inevitability of you getting fired. Your message then was “wait until next year.” A lot of us rolled our eyes. Would you like to tell us all, “I told you so?”

A: You know, I don’t know. It is human nature to want to say that, but with that being said you’re only as good as your last game. My uncle, who used to work on Wall Street, used to say you’re only as good as your last trade. With sports, that’s the way it is. I try not to get into the “I told you so” mentality because as good as it feels to be on a four-game winning streak, we could lose one and everyone wants you fired again. It’s just the volatility of the profession. Last year was very difficult. We didn’t have a lot of allies, and I didn’t have a lot of allies. That comes with the territory. You just try to make your team better to the best of your ability.

Q: Speaking of allies: When we talked about nine months ago, it was on the heels of President Eric Kaler saying he was “profoundly disappointed” in your program as he introduced new athletic director Mark Coyle. How has your relationship with both Kaler and Coyle evolved in that time?

A: Well, the President has a whole university to run and I think in his ideal world the athletic director would deal with athletics because he has so much going on. I deal a lot with Mark Coyle, and he’s been phenomenal. We speak multiple times a day. When he got hired, I was really transparent about where I thought our program was at and where we were going. I understood he was walking into what might have appeared to be going on in our program, but I had great confidence we could turn it around. I communicated as much as I possibly could with him. Fortunately, it’s been able to materialize the way I hoped it could, though we still have a lot of basketball yet to play. But Mark has been awesome. Anything we need – we don’t ask for a lot – he tries to help and support as best he can.

Q: A lot of talk right now is fixated around making the NCAA tournament. I know coaches implore their teams to focus game-by-game, but maybe you could take the long view here. If this team gets into the tournament, how dangerous could you be?

A: I would just say the tournament is funny. It all really comes down to matchups. Any team that makes the tournament is dangerous because it’s difficult to get there. It does depend on matchups. But we’ll cross that bridge hopefully when we come to it. I think we’ve shown the ability to play with anybody, but we still have a ways to go from getting to play our best basketball. More than anything, we’ll just work on that this week and prepare for Michigan.

Q: The rule in Minnesota is that when a coach struggles we want them fired but when they succeed we worry they will leave. So I need to ask on behalf of any fans who have switched to the other side: how will you approach any inevitable chatter about job openings after this season?

A: Well, it’s like anything else. When everybody wants you fired, you do your best to ignore it. And then it works the other way, too. Two weeks ago, everyone wanted me fired again. I don’t think you can subscribe to all that. I will say this: I’m really excited about where we’re going, and I want to be a big part of it. We lose Akeem (Springs), but we get everybody else back plus Davonte and we’re excited about our recruiting class. I’m looking right now at a new practice facility that I just toured a couple days ago, so I think this thing can get to the next level. You have to remember, we built this team – and we haven’t arrived yet – without have a lot of great resources. Now that we’re getting those, I just think recruiting can really take off. At the end of the day, that’s what it comes down to. You’re looking at a great student-athlete experience that we’ve always had here. And that’s a major selling point for us. Now you add more than $100 million in facilities just for student-athletes. That’s going to add a great deal to the program. That’s something I’m extremely excited about selling going forward. We love it here. My family loves it here. We just want to keep building and hopefully moving forward with positive momentum.

http://www.startribune.com/sunday-q...-s-basketball-coach-richard-pitino/414170743/

Go Gophers!!

Good interview. If Pitino had a Podcast I would definitely listen to it.

There is no reason for us to worry about a different coach going forward. We built the facilities, we are on the upswing in talent. As long as his contract (which he just got a bump) stays competitive we will be fine.

And firing him for anything outside another scandal would be crazy.

This showed up in my feed as a year ago today. Personally, I think this was the beginning of the turn around. And Joey called it - he gets to say "I told you so."

This showed up in my feed as a year ago today. Personally, I think this was the beginning of the turn around. And Joey called it - he gets to say "I told you so."

He nailed it.

That video never gets old. I've been calling it the King Propehcy.

Pitino is a good communicator, which is one of the keys to his effectiveness, both externally and internally. After last season, a friend of mine said that, even with all the losses, he was even more impressed with Richard because he held the team together.

That video never gets old. I've been calling it the King Propehcy.

Pitino is a good communicator, which is one of the keys to his effectiveness, both externally and internally. After last season, a friend of mine said that, even with all the losses, he was even more impressed with Richard because he held the team together.
I agree with this. Whether the team is winning or losing, Pitino can speak to what is going on in a clear and effective manner. His humor is never mean-spirited and often self-deprecating. While I'm not a coach, his decisions seem sound on and off the court.

We have some friends 'switching sides' - and we're known as people who occasionally have extra tickets. It's brought me a little pleasure to let those people know they're no longer on the 'A' list for any available extras!

I've always thought Pitino had a chance to become a big time recruiter here (with his experience under top end coaches and friends in the business). We just needed to get through to him being successful. It appears we're finally getting there. The recruits committing to the program 2 years ahead of graduation is what you see from a lot of the bigger programs. We finally appear to be having some sustained success. That hasn't happened here since Clem. It's going to be a fun team to watch over the next 5-10 years.

I've always thought Pitino had a chance to become a big time recruiter here (with his experience under top end coaches and friends in the business). We just needed to get through to him being successful. It appears we're finally getting there. The recruits committing to the program 2 years ahead of graduation is what you see from a lot of the bigger programs. We finally appear to be having some sustained success. That hasn't happened here since Clem. It's going to be a fun team to watch over the next 5-10 years.

The next step will be when we're regularly springing people into the NBA. Clem averaged about one a year during his tenure.

"The rule in Minnesota is that when a coach struggles we want them fired but when they succeed we worry they will leave. So I need to ask on behalf of any fans who have switched to the other side: how will you approach any inevitable chatter about job openings after this season?"

This question right here! I don't like him speaking for all Minnesotans like that. As far as I a concerned there is no "rule" that when a coach struggles we want them fired and when they succeed we worry they will leave. Has that been the case sometimes? Sure, but not always. I'd say it depends. I was far more impatient with Tubby Smith than I have been towards Pitino. And I was more patient with Kill than I was with his predecessor. I've also never felt the need to fire Lucia, either. I don't blame some fans for thinking he should be fired, you are always going to find those people and many of those same people probably wanted Pitino fired as well. Heck, I also would have been willing to give Mason another year or two to see what he could have done to turn things around.

But right now I am very pleased with our Big 3 coaches and see bright futures for all three programs.

But of the 3, yes, Lucia has to be seen as the one who should get the most scrutiny, at least in the short term. A trip to the Frozen Four this season could help his situation out some, a Natl Title would probably buy him another 10 years, lol. And in 2 years it may be Fleck who is getting the most scrutiny, but I hope not, I hope he does so dam well that, well, heck, I hope all 3 do so dam well that we start discussing the wrestling coach or the women's bb coach or start talking about the weather or something, lol.

Can you imagine how incredible it would be if the Gophers could get teams into the Final Four of all 3 of those sports in the same season???

I see it as a possibility sometime in the next year to ten years. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom