Jalen Mayfield commits

Surprised that there is any negativity regarding this recruit, maybe my standards are too low after 5-6 years of Kill//Claeys recruiting. The Gophers just landed an out of state OT in February with offers from Michigan State and Iowa. Those two programs have had offensive lineman drafted in the first round more recently than the Gophers have had an offensive lineman drafted at all. I'd be more concerned about keeping his commitment than whether or not he can gain X amount of weight.

Stop being negative and worried about this kid's size. The 13th ranked OT in the nation is 4-star Ryan Hayes who is listed at 3 lbs. lighter than Mayfiled. All of these kids will grow and put on weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is negative about this kid! They simply said that he is the kind of guy who needs to hit the weightroom and grow into a B10 OT. It's not a bad thing at all, it's a completely normal and expected response to getting a commitment from a super athletic but (for now) undersized OL. No one has expressed any doubt that he would be able to add the weight.

In reading these comments I'm experiencing a Kumbaya moment. I love you guys

Surprised that there is any negativity regarding this recruit, maybe my standards are too low after 5-6 years of Kill//Claeys recruiting. The Gophers just landed an out of state OT in February with offers from Michigan State and Iowa. Those two programs have had offensive lineman drafted in the first round more recently than the Gophers have had an offensive lineman drafted at all. I'd be more concerned about keeping his commitment than whether or not he can gain X amount of weight.

Not keep his commitment? Do you know something? Inside info? Crap. I am very worried about this now.

Pretty much every high school junior offensive lineman is a 'weight room project.' I like the fact that he is an athlete and not just some fat kid. He likely won't see the field for 4 years...he has plenty of time.

Will you please stop your bitching and complaining? Try giving yourself 24 hours without posting stupid comments. You have absolutely no clue about player development and your only intention is to delegitimize Fleck and his recruiting ability. The kid is 16 or 17 years old. Slow down and give these guys some respect that they know what there doing.

Says the guy with a handful of posts. Go back under your rock- nothing I said was bitching and complaining. Stated I was happy he joined up- but this is a board within which to express different opinions in a preferably respectful fashion. I'm not denigrating the kid, just pointing out he's smaller than most P5 recruits for OT which usually demands kids to get up to 300-320 to play OT. Going through the B10 commits from last year there were only a handful under 275. Can he gain the weight and be playing by RS So year- absolutely. And I give the staff the up front credit that they may have other plans for him if he doesn't grow as planned- But he's got a lot more work to do than many- that's not insulting him or disrespecting him. While we're at it I've never taken shots at PJ that I know of so next time you want to accuse me of something make sure you're correct and use a verb that makes sense- delegitimize? Nobody's taking away someone's legal standing.

And interestingly our commit has already gained 10# today up to 255 on the 247 site. By this rate he'll be 300 by the time his senior season starts.

Is it easier to have a 6'5" 255 lb kid gain 55 pounds, or to have a kid that is 6'5" 365 lb lose55 pounds?

Who will be a more effective OL?

Is it easier to have a 6'5" 255 lb kid gain 55 pounds, or to have a kid that is 6'5" 365 lb lose55 pounds?

Who will be a more effective OL?

You stick the 365 lb kid at DT!!

I like to think mayfield is reading through this thread and is astonished by so many people talking about his weight

Says the guy with a handful of posts. Go back under your rock- nothing I said was bitching and complaining. Stated I was happy he joined up- but this is a board within which to express different opinions in a preferably respectful fashion. I'm not denigrating the kid, just pointing out he's smaller than most P5 recruits for OT which usually demands kids to get up to 300-320 to play OT. Going through the B10 commits from last year there were only a handful under 275. Can he gain the weight and be playing by RS So year- absolutely. And I give the staff the up front credit that they may have other plans for him if he doesn't grow as planned- But he's got a lot more work to do than many- that's not insulting him or disrespecting him. While we're at it I've never taken shots at PJ that I know of so next time you want to accuse me of something make sure you're correct and use a verb that makes sense- delegitimize? Nobody's taking away someone's legal standing.

And interestingly our commit has already gained 10# today up to 255 on the 247 site. By this rate he'll be 300 by the time his senior season starts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bXVCDZnWoTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Isn't this just a verbal commit? Let's hope he stays committed on Signing Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a statistical anomaly. You can find a lot of OL and DL that have put on 40+ lbs after high school and this kid still has a year of high school left.

Jimmy Gjere was 6'7" 275 in high school and when his career was cut short just 2 or 3 years later he was 323 lbs. Not that hard to put on weight. It's especially true if they play other sports where you don't want that extra weight (basketball for Mayfield, hockey/baseball for Gjere).

Jimmy Gjere was 6'7" 275 in high school and when his career was cut short just 2 or 3 years later he was 323 lbs. <b>Not that hard to put on weight. </b>It's especially true if they play other sports where you don't want that extra weight (basketball for Mayfield, hockey/baseball for Gjere).

I can confirm that it isn't hard to put on weight.

Also, it probably helped that his home town is 45 minutes from Kalamazoo. He's obviously very familiar with Fleck.

Again.......an obvious boon for Fleck.

Jimmy Gjere was 6'7" 275 in high school and when his career was cut short just 2 or 3 years later he was 323 lbs. Not that hard to put on weight. It's especially true if they play other sports where you don't want that extra weight (basketball for Mayfield, hockey/baseball for Gjere).

It's not an anomoly. However, I don't think it's at all unfair for people to say "this kid will grow into his position" or "he'll be a weight room project". I can see how people will be annoyed by that if they take it as a slight, but I don't think most posters on here meant it that way. My comment certainly wasn't meant to slight Mayfield. It's something great programs have been doing for a long time (finding great athletes and building their size). I'd much better find an amazing athlete and add on the weight (Mayfield) than find a guy who has the size (you can't add on the athleticism).

Good to get this early commit.
He isn't at the optimum size now, but he has at least two years before he will ever see the field for The U.
Plenty of time to add size and strength. He moves well for his size and playing bball can only help with his footwork, which is as vital to an OL as size and strength.

Yes that is how recruiting works...

I know that's how recruiting works, but people seem to be going crazy with glee about some kid a year or two away from signing...and possibly changing his mind 20 times by signing day....just trying to stay realistic.

I know that's how recruiting works, but people seem to be going crazy with glee about some kid a year or two away from signing...and possibly changing his mind 20 times by signing day....just trying to stay realistic.

Who is going crazy with glee? The majority of kids don't change even once.

I'm happy the young man committed but to say he's typical for a P5 OT recruit from a size perspective is flat wrong. Our OL commits the last several years averaged 290+ lbs so we knew that they already had some bulk on them- whether it was "good weight" I'll leave to conjecture. This young stud is 245 and it'll take 3 years to get him to playing weight IF he can pack it on at a healthy rate (20/yr). So when he's a RS So he MAY have enough bulk to play OL. Then again maybe he's athletic enough to play DE as an earlier poster surmised should he have trouble adding weight.

You're right in that if he adds 20lbs a year at a healthy rate, he should be ready to help as a R-Soph. That sounds like a perfectly reasonable timetable for an OT to be field ready, imo. Get his feet wet as a R-Soph and take the reigns for his Jr & Sr years. I don't see this as a negative. I want my linemen playing as grown men, not as large boys.

You're also right that he could play DE. We've heard that about a lot of Fleck's OL recruits so far. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if that type of position flexibility is something the staff looks for.

That said, I expect him to be an OT.

One can always find statistical outliers- but most nutritionists/trainers will tell you it's hard to get 20-25 lbs of healthy weight on a teenage frame each year. Not so sure you can equate Reiff to most "kids" coming out of school- he was 19 1/2 years old graduating high school.

Don't forget this kid is also a basketball player which means he's probably never tried to keep weight on. Once he's football only, the weight curve could likely speed up. I can't help but noticing that on defense he doesn't look particularly quick or explosive. I also notice that one offense he plays on the right side of the ball & that we landed a left handed QB today.

Top Bottom