Jalen Mayfield commits

Had Iowa and Michigan St offers. Nice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

number one for the weekend. Leggo! Welcome aboard!

Very athletic with lots of potential. I like him

He's got a big frame and a lot of room to grow. Only weighs in at 245 lbs.

Great to see! He had a Gopher offer before the visit, but I think this is why the visit is ultimately the most important thing. I think if Fleck gets face-to-face with these kids, he's going to land more than his share of top drawer talent.

Great to see! He had a Gopher offer before the visit, but I think this is why the visit is ultimately the most important thing. I think if Fleck gets face-to-face with these kids, he's going to land more than his share of top drawer talent.

Completely agree! I think the staff he has assembled is going to be a big selling point for a lot of kids. Fleck is extremely persuasive im sure and I think parents will love him also. It just seems like the recruiting bubble is on the verge of exploding here. Top 30 national class this year.

Nice to add commits early and start building positive energy- but let's be honest, the young man is a weight room project.

Welcome aboard! Now hit the weight room.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4085403/581a201a688ec47794791a78' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice to add commits early and start building positive energy- but let's be honest, the young man is a weight room project.

I guess there are three types of people in the world. Some see the glass as half-full. Some see the glass as half-empty. Some wonder how that much water got on the floor.

Completely agree! I think the staff he has assembled is going to be a big selling point for a lot of kids. Fleck is extremely persuasive im sure and I think parents will love him also. It just seems like the recruiting bubble is on the verge of exploding here. Top 30 national class this year.

Although it's meaningless now, this commitment puts the gophers at 36th nationally, and 7th in the B1G, per 247.

I guess there are three types of people in the world. Some see the glass as half-full. Some see the glass as half-empty. Some wonder how that much water got on the floor.

Love the last line- well done!

Not really if he gains 25 pounds in 1.5 years he'll be at 275 before he even hits campus.

Which is true of almost every single high school linemen. So what you look for is a frame that can hold more weight. Sounds like he has it.

I think the MSU and Iowa offers show he has something going on.

This kid visited MSU five times (including a camp) over the past several months, including just a few weeks ago, when they offered him.

PJ has skills.

Beat out MSU for a Michigan kid and I'm sure it was a committable offer as it was from only a month and a half ago and he also visited them.

Which is true of almost every single high school linemen. So what you look for is a frame that can hold more weight. Sounds like he has it.

I'm happy the young man committed but to say he's typical for a P5 OT recruit from a size perspective is flat wrong. Our OL commits the last several years averaged 290+ lbs so we knew that they already had some bulk on them- whether it was "good weight" I'll leave to conjecture. This young stud is 245 and it'll take 3 years to get him to playing weight IF he can pack it on at a healthy rate (20/yr). So when he's a RS So he MAY have enough bulk to play OL. Then again maybe he's athletic enough to play DE as an earlier poster surmised should he have trouble adding weight.

Also, it probably helped that his home town is 45 minutes from Kalamazoo. He's obviously very familiar with Fleck.

I'm happy the young man committed but to say he's typical for a P5 OT recruit from a size perspective is flat wrong. Our OL commits the last several years averaged 290+ lbs so we knew that they already had some bulk on them- whether it was "good weight" I'll leave to conjecture. This young stud is 245 and it'll take 3 years to get him to playing weight IF he can pack it on at a healthy rate (20/yr). So when he's a RS So he MAY have enough bulk to play OL. Then again maybe he's athletic enough to play DE as an earlier poster surmised should he have trouble adding weight.

How good has our OL play been with those big guys?

Best example I can give is Riley Reiff because I met him his Senior year of HS. He was 6-6 245, and I was surprised he weighed that much because he was a bean pole.

He went to Iowa, redshirted, and put on 50 lbs. He started his RS FR year and was first team all Freshman B1G on his way to an eventual 1st round pick.

Another similar case was Chad Greenway. Obviously not a lineman but he was 190 tops his SR year of high school. Redshirted and put on 40-50 pounds his redshirt year. These are just two examples I know firsthand, but there are many that put on 40+ pounds in a redshirt year.

Is he not allowed to grow during his senior year?

Top Bottom