Jalen Mayfield commits

This kid visited MSU five times (including a camp) over the past several months, including just a few weeks ago, when they offered him.

PJ has skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. Impressive job by PJF!

I'm happy the young man committed but to say he's typical for a P5 OT recruit from a size perspective is flat wrong. Our OL commits the last several years averaged 290+ lbs so we knew that they already had some bulk on them- whether it was "good weight" I'll leave to conjecture. This young stud is 245 and it'll take 3 years to get him to playing weight IF he can pack it on at a healthy rate (20/yr). So when he's a RS So he MAY have enough bulk to play OL. Then again maybe he's athletic enough to play DE as an earlier poster surmised should he have trouble adding weight.

Ideally you don't want OL even playing before their RS SO year anyway.

How good has our OL play been with those big guys?

Best example I can give is Riley Reiff because I met him his Senior year of HS. He was 6-6 245, and I was surprised he weighed that much because he was a bean pole.

He went to Iowa, redshirted, and put on 50 lbs. He started his RS FR year and was first team all Freshman B1G on his way to an eventual 1st round pick.

Another similar case was Chad Greenway. Obviously not a lineman but he was 190 tops his SR year of high school. Redshirted and put on 40-50 pounds his redshirt year. These are just two examples I know firsthand, but there are many that put on 40+ pounds in a redshirt year.

One can always find statistical outliers- but most nutritionists/trainers will tell you it's hard to get 20-25 lbs of healthy weight on a teenage frame each year. Not so sure you can equate Reiff to most "kids" coming out of school- he was 19 1/2 years old graduating high school.

The kid seems pretty athletic. He could certainly grow into an OL or DT. If he can't add that kind of weight athletically, he seems athletic enough to play TE (Goodger mold) or DE. Welcome aboard.

Oh, and for the people acting like signing a 6'5" 245 lbs kid to play OT is status quo or good overall strategy. You're crazy. Yeah, MN has been recruiting big OL and we haven't had great OL. Do you want me to list the teams that recruit HS lineman that are 275+ that have good lineman? I have nothing against the strategy and I am excited about this kid's future, but he is atypical if he is going to stay at OT.

One can always find statistical outliers- but most nutritionists/trainers will tell you it's hard to get 20-25 lbs of healthy weight on a teenage frame each year. Not so sure you can equate Reiff to most "kids" coming out of school- he was 19 1/2 years old graduating high school.

Will you please stop your bitching and complaining? Try giving yourself 24 hours without posting stupid comments. You have absolutely no clue about player development and your only intention is to delegitimize Fleck and his recruiting ability. The kid is 16 or 17 years old. Slow down and give these guys some respect that they know what there doing.

Looks to be a great get. Good athletic frame and feet. Put him in a targeted S&C program for a couple years and see where he ends up.

He plays basketball, I've heard, so that may be why he keeps his weight down. He might start packing it on when the season ends.

I put 20 pounds on in Army basic training at 18. It's not hard to do right.

Offers from 2 schools that typically have good OLs. I'll take any OL that has an offer from Iowa.

Nice to add commits early and start building positive energy- but let's be honest, the young man is a weight room project.

Ya, we'll never win with Fleck or guys like these. It's just more of the same. Let's be honest. Ferentz and Dantonio love "weight room projects". Kid probably won't get any bigger or stronger in the next year and a half.

Obviously, a lot of unknowns.

What is Fleck's philosophy for OL - does he prefer to recruit road graders, or smaller, more athletic types?
Does this player have position flexibility - or is he strictly an OL candidate?
Does Fleck and his staff have a history of recruiting similar linemen and bulking them up?

It's hard to draw any conclusions about a coach and staff that have only been in place for a few weeks.

as I keep saying, we'll all know a lot more about Fleck a year from now.

As far as the player in question, could be 2 or 3 years if we know whether he is a B1G lineman or not.

Obviously, a lot of unknowns.

What is Fleck's philosophy for OL - does he prefer to recruit road graders, or smaller, more athletic types?
Does this player have position flexibility - or is he strictly an OL candidate?
Does Fleck and his staff have a history of recruiting similar linemen and bulking them up?

It's hard to draw any conclusions about a coach and staff that have only been in place for a few weeks.

as I keep saying, we'll all know a lot more about Fleck a year from now.

As far as the player in question, could be 2 or 3 years if we know whether he is a B1G lineman or not.

Good points. Looking at OSU and Ed Warinner I believe they had a mix of young and old on the offensive line. Warriner can coach OL,.

Good points. Looking at OSU and Ed Warinner I believe they had a mix of young and old on the offensive line. Warriner can coach OL,.

This makes sense. I'm willing to trust PJF and EW on this signing. Welcome Aboard!

Ya, we'll never win with Fleck or guys like these. It's just more of the same. Let's be honest. Ferentz and Dantonio love "weight room projects". Kid probably won't get any bigger or stronger in the next year and a half.

You might be just a tad early with this take. Give it another day or two.

Also, let's not compare anything to Dantonio. They have a major culture issue in East Lansing.

WMU's Taylor Moton was only 270 pounds coming out of HS. Finished eligibility last year at 328 lbs and will be one of the first tackles drafted this year.

I think I will gladly take the #26 OT in the country just about every time.

There are two past national o-line coaches of the year on staff. Somehow, I trust they will figure it out.

I think I will gladly take the #26 OT in the country just about every time.

That's kind of what I was thinking. As mentioned earlier, give Warriner some talent to work with and I'm sure you will see results. Maybe we go back to the Mason days with smaller linemen who can pull and get upfield a little on bubble screens.

I think Fleck's track record with OTs speaks for itself. Look at what he has already done in his short career as a HC. I'll trust that he can identify and coach up that position, and I'm guessing that was a big factor in Mayfield wanting to play for Fleck.

WMU's Taylor Moton was only 270 pounds coming out of HS. Finished eligibility last year at 328 lbs and will be one of the first tackles drafted this year.

WMU's other OT will likely be drafted as well. And Willy Beavers was another WMU o-lineman that Fleck coached up.

Nice to add commits early and start building positive energy- but let's be honest, the young man is a weight room project.

I don't think "projects" garner this kind of recruiting attention this time of year.

I don't think "projects" garner this kind of recruiting attention this time of year.

Weight room projects do, consistently. Being as athletic as he is with his frame is incredibly rare and these kinds of athletes get a ton of attention every single year.

Most people knew that Hageman was going to be grow into a DT (he was a 250 lbs TE with offers from Florida, Oklahoma, and Ohio State). It's not an insult to call him a weight room project, you shouldn't take it that way.

Weight room projects do, consistently. Being as athletic as he is with his frame is incredibly rare and these kinds of athletes get a ton of attention every single year.

Most people knew that Hageman was going to be grow into a DT (he was a 250 lbs TE with offers from Florida, Oklahoma, and Ohio State). It's not an insult to call him a weight room project, you shouldn't take it that way.

Well it sounds like a slight when its put, "It's nice to get commits BUT this kid is a weight room project."

I don't think being a weight room project is even bad. Kids can have the potential, talent, drive, etc. and just not the weight/strength needed yet. He is a junior in HS. Weight room project can be accurate w/o being a rip.

Not a statistical anomaly. You can find a lot of OL and DL that have put on 40+ lbs after high school and this kid still has a year of high school left.

Stop being negative and worried about this kid's size. The 13th ranked OT in the nation is 4-star Ryan Hayes who is listed at 3 lbs. lighter than Mayfiled. All of these kids will grow and put on weight.

Top Bottom