Why do we not sell out the barn?

book

Reaction score
Sold one of my unused ticket outside the barn last Wednesday. That person said he liked to go to more games but the prices on line are over the top. i looked on line just to check (Gopher tickets)
and he seems right. $50 to $80 for remaining ticks seems way too much. I would think upper deck seats that are not sold should go for less. It would nice to sell out the place for the remaining games.

There are some $40 tickets available as well. I think if you get them early enough, you can find cheap ones through stubhub. Tickets under $19 a piece for the Penn St game right now.

Bought several games on Black Friday Gophersports site for $10-15/ticket. Turned out to be a steal for this entertaining squad.

I agree. Face value seems too high for consistent consideration, and the price patterns don't make sense. I bought Iowa tix on stub hub same day for $45 in section 201. I got the same seats for the Indiana game for only $10 on stub hub (same day purchase). I realize there is a rivalry with Iowa, but all February games when hunting for a bid should be intense.
The other thing is that I am purchasing two at a time and a Wednesday night can quickly get pricey if not planned for ahead. I'm certainly buying season tix next year after my wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Face value seems too high for consistent consideration, and the price patterns don't make sense. I bought Iowa tix on stub hub same day for $45 in section 201. I got the same seats for the Indiana game for only $10 on stub hub (same day purchase). I realize there is a rivalry with Iowa, but all February games when hunting for a bid should be intense.
The other thing is that I am purchasing two at a time and a Wednesday night can quickly get pricey if not planned for ahead. I'm certainly buying season tix next year after my wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think sometimes you just get lucky through stubhub. Someone just wants to unload them quick and you just happen to visit shortly after they are added.

This thread is mistitled.

Agreed. Based on thread title, there are a few reasons the Barn does not sell out. Season tickets are way down and quite expensive leaving a lot of extra to sell. There are still a lot of obstructed seats in the arena that modern fans are not interested in. The game times are either too late or too early during the week and too often really odd on the weekend. Not many people want to be getting home late on a Sunday night after a game.

If the season ticket base increases substantially next year, expect a few more sellouts, but the days of the place being basically packed for every game I think are gone. There are just not enough of us hard core basketball people who know and like the game enough to see the Gophers play Texas Arlington on a Tuesday evening in December.

i Have incredible seats at Williams and at the Kohl Center and UVA. The Gopher seats are by far the most expensive when you factor in the seat lisc.. But the biggest reason by far is winning. Pre Dick Bennett UW had the faithful 8000 during decades of horrific basketball. Started to win, got a incredible facility, got to the final 4, got Bo RYAN AND won at a rate in the conference that has never been equaled. That brings sellout after sellout. UVA had no one who wanted to go for 20 years, started to win really big, Two ACC titles and the conference tourney title and every game is a sell out. Conversly, Missouri used to always sell out and now after a few years of losing and scandal no one goes. Gophers will sell everything in site when they win consistently and The Barn will be one of the 10 best places to see a game.

i Have incredible seats at Williams and at the Kohl Center and UVA. The Gopher seats are by far the most expensive when you factor in the seat lisc.. But the biggest reason by far is winning. Pre Dick Bennett UW had the faithful 8000 during decades of horrific basketball. Started to win, got a incredible facility, got to the final 4, got Bo RYAN AND won at a rate in the conference that has never been equaled. That brings sellout after sellout. UVA had no one who wanted to go for 20 years, started to win really big, Two ACC titles and the conference tourney title and every game is a sell out. Conversly, Missouri used to always sell out and now after a few years of losing and scandal no one goes. Gophers will sell everything in site when they win consistently and The Barn will be one of the 10 best places to see a game.

Do you have a private jet or something? How do you get to all these games?

I do not get to all these games. I go to 7-8 Gopher games, 4-5 UW games and 3-4 UVA games. When i am not at a college game i am at a high school game.

I do not get to all these games. I go to 7-8 Gopher games, 4-5 UW games and 3-4 UVA games. When i am not at a college game i am at a high school game.

Very cool!
I had a chance to see the Badger Fieldhouse before the Gopher Badger football game. I have never been to Kohl center but how can it be better than that cool place? It is very similar to Williams.

Loved the old field house but ranked Williams slightly more intense. Kohl center is sterile but conveinent and comfortable and recruits love it but i know it would not be full unless UW was winning. Phog Allen is the best of both worlds, please make it a bucket list item.

Purely $$$$ lower the ticket prices and it'd be sold out more. From the list below I'd say our prices are out of touch with reality... The entry point to the game is much to high.

A few schools are sold out and I can't find the info but here is a smattering of prices.

For reference ticket prices (each schools ticket office not reseller market; prices are for single game tickets):

Minnesota $40-$65
Iowa: $20(students and youth) $33 adults (this seams strange someone check to see if I'm right)
Illinois: $20-$50
Purdue: $10-75 depending on the game and level realistically $20-75 for non students.
Michigan: $25-$40
Michigan State: $15-$32
Nebraska: $10-$30

Loved the old field house but ranked Williams slightly more intense. Kohl center is sterile but conveinent and comfortable and recruits love it but i know it would not be full unless UW was winning. Phog Allen is the best of both worlds, please make it a bucket list item.

If tickets were cheaper i would probably attend 6-10 home games per year rather than 3-6.

Not that I am the ideal market. But on a Tuesday night 8pm start, is it worth making me tired the rest of the week and 45 bucks? Many times not.

Is it worth being tired the rest of the week for 20 bucks. Not always, but more often.

...so..you're a ref. Explains the homerism at UVA and Madison. [emoji41]

Very cool!
I had a chance to see the Badger Fieldhouse before the Gopher Badger football game. I have never been to Kohl center but how can it be better than that cool place? It is very similar to Williams.
The Kohl Center is a good Communist bunker. Cement everywhere and the entrance points from the lobby into the arena are amazingly skinny. They are generally only wide enough for two or three people.
I used to go there for State Boys tournaments when my brother coached in Wisconsin.
Kohl Center is a very generic arena.

Didn't the UM offer a pregame with HS teams years ago? Champlin Park versus Maple Grove or other top HS teams would help draw some of the HS fans and a chance for them to watch the Gophers.

I think we would all go to more games if not for the ridiculous prices. Me and my cousin were both going to go tomorrow but $45 dollars that is crazy talk. A guy can even bring his kids for that price.

Gophers go to the tournament this year.
Get Fitzgerald back next year with two outstanding recruits - will likely be one of the favorites to win the Big Ten.
Pitino brings in 5 highly rated recruits for 2018.
By the end of next season we will all be happy to get tickets for $45.

In a city where the professional team has tickets that range from $25 to $340 per seat, the Gophers tickets seem affordable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Really, for Minnesotans it is not about the experience . It is about the intangibles. The would rather buy a 5,000 dollar leather sectional sofa then pop for season tickets. Instead of making memories with their families it is all about touchy, feely things. Maybe there is hope from the new generation. The baby boomers and generation X and to some degree the new milinium it is all about "square footage" and what's in your house. The baby boomers are especially bad.
They're the hoarders and collectors. That's why I gravitate to those fans who buy the tickets , make the trips, and collect a bevy of good memories. Those will always be with you.

Is the game sold out today? Tickets not available online and there are only 25 seats left on Stubhub.

Here's my experience - We have season tickets - I think this is our 18th year. The game against Iowa was only our second night in our own seats this year which are good but upper level corner across from our bench - and that was because we had friends who picked up tickets in our section we wanted to be with.

We generally sit by friends in the lower level mid-court - fabulous seats that they've had for 30 years. There are almost always seats available around them - unless the corporations/org. that hold them can get some big bucks selling them because of the opposition. So usually they've been going to opposing fans. Last year, a Wisconsin group told me they got them from coaches for our football team. (the group immediately glared at the guy who revealed that).

Some games I notice that the upper level is more full than the lower. So yes, perhaps as we win more, the people and corporations who have held the tickets (for a write off?) will decide to show up or to be more diligent about getting their tickets out to fans. I'll be happy to move up to our assigned seats - have to admit that it's annoying to sit in great seats next to the rival team's fans.

not much available for today's game (thought about going but not going to pay > $100), I'd say the attendance doing pretty good

Really, for Minnesotans it is not about the experience . It is about the intangibles. The would rather buy a 5,000 dollar leather sectional sofa then pop for season tickets. Instead of making memories with their families it is all about touchy, feely things. Maybe there is hope from the new generation. The baby boomers and generation X and to some degree the new milinium it is all about "square footage" and what's in your house. The baby boomers are especially bad.
They're are hoarders and collectors. That's why I gravitate to those fans who buy the tickets , make the trips, and collect a bevy of good memories. Those will always be with you.

I spend an appreciable amount of my disposable income on entertaining women. I do maintain a bevy of Good memories.

In a city where the professional team has tickets that range from $25 to $340 per seat, the Gophers tickets seem affordable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You can usually get Timberwolves tickets for $10-15 on flashseats. If you're not particularly attached to the Gophers, Timberwolves tickets seem like a much better deal.

Top Bottom