Targeting getting tweaked

This is a stat I'm interested in for comparison this coming season...2016 Gophers vs. 2017 Gophers.

Depending on how much change might occur, it may or may not remain an "apples to apples" comparison.

I do suspect this was something that bugged the AD in making the coaching chance...but certainly was not anywhere near being the driver.

"When the NCAA Football Rules Committee meets next month, it will consider adding a “middle ground,” according to secretary-rules editor Rogers Redding, that would in some cases allow the offending player to remain in the game even if the penalty is not overturned."

Yes, thank you!

"“If the replay official has more time and more angles and says, ‘I can’t really confirm it’s targeting,’ the default position is the call on the field is correct, so it stands,” Redding said of the proposal. “But we’re not gonna throw him out. … The idea is that certainly the officials on the field saw something. We can’t say, ‘No, it’s not targeting,’ but there’s more middle ground.”

This is what myself and other posters were calling for all season

But if there is an "M" on the helmet, automatic ejection.

lol the "how can we sandbag the gophers today?" rule....

I do suspect this was something that bugged the AD in making the coaching change...but certainly was not anywhere near being the driver.

Doubtful. Don't even think it was in the equation.

All but two of the calls against the Gophers were either clean hits or a situation where the Minnesota player was asked to defy the laws of physics. Just a bad rule with worse officials.

"When the NCAA Football Rules Committee meets next month, it will consider adding a “middle ground,” according to secretary-rules editor Rogers Redding, that would in some cases allow the offending player to remain in the game even if the penalty is not overturned."

Yes, thank you!

"“If the replay official has more time and more angles and says, ‘I can’t really confirm it’s targeting,’ the default position is the call on the field is correct, so it stands,” Redding said of the proposal. “But we’re not gonna throw him out. … The idea is that certainly the officials on the field saw something. We can’t say, ‘No, it’s not targeting,’ but there’s more middle ground.”

This is what myself and other posters were calling for all season

Glad to see that they see the same thing most of us did. The auto ejection is the biggest problem with the rule, if cooler heads can prevail and common sense can be factored in that will be a good thing for the game. Hopefully they will get it right with the revision of the rule.

This is a stat I'm interested in for comparison this coming season...2016 Gophers vs. 2017 Gophers.

Depending on how much change might occur, it may or may not remain an "apples to apples" comparison.

I do suspect this was something that bugged the AD in making the coaching chance...but certainly was not anywhere near being the driver.

OMG, seriously? WTF. I saw more hits in one Alabama game that went uncalled that were the same or worse than all of the Gophs calls.

To think that Coyle's decision to make a coaching change was even remotely based on targeting calls is idiotic.

OMG, seriously? WTF. I saw more hits in one Alabama game that went uncalled that were the same or worse than all of the Gophs calls.

To think that Coyle's decision to make a coaching change was even remotely based on targeting calls is idiotic.

+1 - agree with everything said here. I certainly hope Coyle didn't make any decisions based on a series of bad calls by the referees.

Top Bottom