Blind Resume IV: 4 Teams For Final At-Large Bid

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
4 teams still in consideration, but you have only 1 spot to fill in the Field of 68. Which one do you take?

I have added each team's KenPom and RPI rankings. The top-25, top-50, top-100 data, etc., is RPI-based.

Results will be posted around 1:15.

A
KenPom/RPI Ranks: 29/56
Record: 16-10
Road Record: 4-5
Overall SOS: 41
Non-Conference SOS: 241
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 1-4
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 3-9
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 3-10
Best 3 Wins Total: 59 (@ #1, @ #28, 30)
Bad Losses: none
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (@ #103)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 2 (@ #1, @ #28)

B
KenPom/RPI Ranks: 41/81
Record: 15-10
Road Record: 3-5
Overall SOS: 63
Non-Conference SOS: 254
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 2-3
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 3-5
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 6-9
Best 3 Wins Total: 60 (#2, @ #18, #40)
Bad Losses: 1 (@ #120)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (#2)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 2 (@ #18, @ #52)

C
KenPom/RPI Ranks: 54/42
Record: 16-10
Road Record: 2-4
Overall SOS: 19
Non-Conference SOS: 21
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 2-5
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 4-5
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 8-9
Best 3 Wins Total: 85 (@ #23, #23, #39)
Bad Losses: 1 (#139)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (#93)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 1 (@ #23)

D
KenPom/RPI Ranks: 48/78
Record: 16-11
Road Record: 2-6
Overall SOS: 51
Non-Conference SOS: 161
Record vs. RPI Top 25: 2-3
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 5-6
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 7-8
Best 3 Wins Total: 64 (#11, #15, #38)
Bad Losses: 3 (vs. #111, #120, @ #199)
Wins vs. Automatic Qualifiers: 1 (#48)
Road Wins vs. RPI Top 68: 1 (@ #51)

I'll take C but I'm biased on that one so you shouldn't count my vote.

I'm going to go with A, even though I think C is Michigan State. Indiana is B?

Not sure who A is but their conference schedule must be pretty tough.

Torn between A and C on this one but I gave the slight nod to C based on the much tougher strength of schedule.

For the record, I took C, though I have the advantage of knowing who the teams are, and exactly who they've beaten,who they've lost to, and where.

My order: C, D, B, A.

Any reason you only use RPI and not Ken Pom? I heard somewhere that the committee might start favoring (or already does) Ken Pom over the RPI.

I'm taking C because they should be rewarded for their strength of schedule.

Most important data point on this last one especially is head to head and we don't have that. If there is a clear head to head I am going with the winner of that one.

Any reason you only use RPI and not Ken Pom? I heard somewhere that the committee might start favoring (or already does) Ken Pom over the RPI.

RPI has a tidy top-25, top-50, top-100 breakdown. As far as I can tell, KenPom doesn't have that on his site (I have a membership and can't find it?).

But this time I'll add each team's individual RPI and KenPom to see if it changes anyone's mind.

I will take C unless it is Michigan State (just kidding- kind of).

C is miles ahead of the others.

I'm sticking with A. No bad loses. Best three game wins. Solid road record. Must be a monster conference schedule to pull them up from the non-conference.

C? Their two best wins are against a team that only won 8 games last year! I just don't see how you can pick them!

I'll take C.

A bad loss of 120-something isn't really a bad loss anymore.

They have the best record against top 100 teams.

Adding Ken Pom makes it interesting. Most people including myself chose C, however, Ken Pom has them rated the worst of the 4.

C a landslide winner

A = Kansas State
B = Marquette
C = Michigan State
D = Syracuse

I'm late to the party, but will add my thoughts anyway. I was torn between A and C. I think I would probably go with A not knowing who the teams are. The three categories I pay the most attention to are Ken Pom rank, top 100 wins, and top 3 wins total.

Would add that now that I know who these teams are I would be willing to bet that more than one gets in.

I'm late to the party, but will add my thoughts anyway. I was torn between A and C. I think I would probably go with A not knowing who the teams are. The three categories I pay the most attention to are Ken Pom rank, top 100 wins, and top 3 wins total.

Would add that now that I know who these teams are I would be willing to bet that more than one gets in.

Two of those three categories you use are pretty meaningless when it comes to tournament selection.

I don't know where this Ken Pom rank started getting traction. It's like that bogus ESPN BPI number which has Minnesota at #44 overall.

Here's another meaningless ranking that can be used:

http://sevenovertimes.com/

It has Minnesota 16th instead of #44.

Two of those three categories you use are pretty meaningless when it comes to tournament selection.

I don't know where this Ken Pom rank started getting traction. It's like that bogus ESPN BPI number which has Minnesota at #44 overall.

Here's another meaningless ranking that can be used:

http://sevenovertimes.com/

It has Minnesota 16th instead of #44.

Not completely true on KenPom. In recent years, committee members have said they have the KenPom information available even if it is not an official criteria. It was very public at the beginning of the season that the committee was seeking input from coaches and others about metrics other then the RPI to possibly use in the future as they have realized some of the RPI's shortcomings. I am not as hateful toward RPI as some since it at least attempts to reward teams for playing difficult schedules. I don't see now how all the statistical measures like KenPom would do that. It strikes me that it would be much easier to be "efficient" against bad teams than good ones.

BPI is a piece of crap from ESPN trying to make news about themselves.

Top Bottom