Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    Good info. I would love to see the staff continue to land quality talent from Texas, Florida, Georgia and so on.
    Gotta go with the not entirely honest Seth Green trifecta:

- Stole one out of the recruiting hotbed of Texas
    - Stole a QB from Oregon
    - Kept a highly touted Minnesota recruit

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeGolfing View Post
    And we as diehard fans know that. The average rube doesn't though.
    Yeah I think the article could have indicated that. It felt like a shallow analysis.

And we as diehard fans know that. The average rube doesn't though.
    Honest question, do you think the average rube really cares? The only ones who really seem to care about this are the ones who see North Dakota's success and get upset that we didn't recruit those players.

I think the average rube would like this article. It makes us look aggressive. Maybe not, I don't know.

Unranked Minnesota kids has been the recipe for success for the fighting hawks. It only stands to reason, we should be filling our roster with kids from Dawson and Perham.
    Are the Fighting Hawks the nickname for Minnesota Crookston?

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Fleck needs to fill Gopher roster with unranked players from MN, or he's a communist!
    - Local Media, probably
    Getting Minnesota kids is the essence of Communism. Mediocre and all Comrades.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Are the Fighting Hawks the nickname for Minnesota Crookston?
    I don't think the Crookston football team has the recipe for success.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Honest question, do you think the average rube really cares? The only ones who really seem to care about this are the ones who see North Dakota's success and get upset that we didn't recruit those players.

I think the average rube would like this article. It makes us look aggressive. Maybe not, I don't know.
    I think it goes both ways. You're right in that some probably see it as aggressive, others (the very provincial, "one of us" people) probably see it as "oh well Fleck isn't committed locking down the borders" when neither of those sides of that group realizes the '18 class is really bad

Quote Originally Posted by nemo1107 View Post
    Lol. Getting those kids to come from Belize is harder and harder these days.

The staff are hitting Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City and Indianapolis hard. Linguist and Smith have a big network in the southeast, so I'm not surprised by the attention they've been putting in there.
    Funny, I actually met a guy from Belize, in Belize who played college football in L.A. Small world...

9. Default

Good info. I would love to see the staff continue to land quality talent from Texas, Florida, Georgia and so on.
    One of the hazards of this approach-Wacker was an example.ple of this--you can't get enough talent from the South at the same to.e you are alienating your Mn players.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by principalguy View Post
    One of the hazards of this approach-Wacker was an example.ple of this--you can't get enough talent from the South at the same to.e you are alienating your Mn players.

It's not alienating MN at all if the state Isn't producing enough talent

11. Default

So the 6-8 hour radius must definitely be based on flight range. Ain't anybody getting to Texas, Florida, Ohio, Georgia etc. in 6-8 hours by driving.
    No driving. What he said is that it was their priority area but they would go beyond that when they needed to. Good pragmatic approach.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12. Default

It's not alienating MN at all if the state Isn't producing enough talent
    Right, not if you win. Key is--you gotta recruit. Brew also failed with the strategy. I still think you need to balance it, get a core group of 8-10 Upper Midwest folks yearly regardless of perceived talent. You miss as much or more with outsiders.

Right, not if you win. Key is--you gotta recruit. Brew also failed with the strategy. I still think you need to balance it, get a core group of 8-10 Upper Midwest folks yearly regardless of perceived talent. You miss as much or more with outsiders.

That's just plain silly. You get what you feel are the best players that you can, regardless of whether they're from Minneapolis or Timbuktu.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    That's just plain silly. You get what you feel are the best players that you can, regardless of whether they're from Minneapolis or Timbuktu.
    Not silly. NDSU, etc all are teeming with upgrades that were left behind by the Gophers--all from the 6-8 hr rim that Fleck speaks.

15. Default

Not silly. NDSU, etc all are teeming with upgrades that were left behind by the Gophers--all from the 6-8 hr rim that Fleck speaks.

St. Thomas has also been successful with guys passed over by Minnesota - should we have taken all of them too? NDSU benefits from the fact that MN produces a decent amount of talent that isn't quite good enough to play in the Big Ten. Your comparison would be like Harbaugh getting ripped for missing on some Michigan kids that went to WMU and had a better record (although, this is closer because the MAC is a much better conference/level than whatever ndsu plays in).