Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    I think hockey is the reason. MN also has a lot of basketball players. Maybe not as many as Indiana but still plenty. Here if you are a hockey player you commit to the sport at age 5 and most likely will never play football. I don't think many sports outside maybe gymnastics require that kind of commitment. Minnesota produces more D1 hockey players than any other state and almost double Massachusetts. I am OK with that though. I like it that we are a hockey state. And I played football and basketball as a kid.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.
    Really good point. I never thought of that before. Makes complete sense.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I agree about hockey. Very few HS kids play multiple sports now. Hockey takes the best athletes away from football. It is a limiting factor unique to Minnesota.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    I agree about hockey. Very few HS kids play multiple sports now. Hockey takes the best athletes away from football. It is a limiting factor unique to Minnesota.
    Hell few younger kids play multiple sports....

I put my seven year old in say soccer and all the kids are all full time soccer with camps and year round stuff.

Hockey.... basketball... it's all the same thing.

It's like people have to do everything 110% for as far as I can tell no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Good thought -

Maybe some one here could compare our state with others as to how many Div 1 all sports scholarships we produce and then compare. Maybe we would discover that MN isn't all that bad.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by oldauggie View Post
    So now you are comparing MN to Indianapolis!! Well I was comparing MN to WI and IA. Actually you would have to consider the entire state of MN and see that Indy alone produces more D1 football talent. I have no idea why we are lacking D1 football talent compared to Indianapolis. Similar size cities too.
    My point comparing to Indianapolis was it's a relatively similar sized city that's also in a state where one sport is considered king and takes away athletes to focus on year round (hockey for us, basketball for them).

My overall point is that the MSP area drastically underachieves in producing power 5 D1 talent compared to other states wig similar population sizes, metro areas, and geography and there's a lot more reasons for it than hockey being a major focus here or the state starting to emerge as a basketball hotbed. Those factors don't help but kids play other sports all over the country. Hockey is unique in the time commitment but it isn't the sole reason