Defending Happ

Bordergopher

Reaction score
Curious to hear all your thoughts after watching the MI WI game last night: I thought the reason we lost the Wisky game was our decision to not double Happ in the post late in the game. I assume that was out of respect for their three-point shooting. Happ just ate us alive.

Now after watching Northwestern and Michigan defeat Wisky and Nebraska nearly beat them, I'm really questioning that decision. All three coaches very effectively doubled Happ in the post and their defense managed to avoid the potential alternative 3-point dagger. I know last night Wisky was missing Koenig, so maybe not a fair comparison. And maybe NW got lucky when Koenig went 1-8 from the field.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to hear all your thoughts after watching the MI WI game last night: I thought the reason we lost the Wisky game was our decision to not double Happ in the post late in the game. I assume that was out of respect for their three-point shooting. Happ just ate us alive.

Now after watching Northwestern and Michigan defeat Wisky and Nebraska nearly beat them, I'm really questioning that decision. All three coaches very effectively doubled Happ in the post and their defense managed to avoid the potential alternative 3-point dagger. I know last night Wisky was missing Koenig, so maybe not a fair comparison. And maybe NW got lucky when Koenig went 1-8 from the field.

Thoughts?

I would guess we'll try a different tactic, but I believe Koenig has been playing hurt since our game which may have affected his shooting, so going that route might have been the better way to go since our game.
The way Happ was playing against us was crazy and I was surprised that Pitino never changed his plan on him.
Although, maybe the idea was to give Happ so much action that he would get tired, which he did in our game.

Happ killed Michigan in the first half last night, he had 18 at halftime. I didn't see as much of the second half, did Michigan actually double him or did Wisconsin just not get him the ball as much? He only had 3 missed shots. It might have just been a halftime adjustment by Maryland. Happ didn't hurt the Gophers in the first half as much as he did in the second half which is why they stuck to their plan.

If you're getting be done in the post, you have to double-team or provide whatever help you need. You got to stop the most primary threat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If Koenig is out for the last game, I'm cheating Amir or Dupree on Happ all game long. If he is playing, I'm still putting a double on Happ most of the time and taking some chances with their outside shot. As Happ goes, so does the team for the most part.

Happ killed Maryland in the first half last night, he had 18 at halftime. I didn't see as much of the second half, did Maryland actually double him or did Wisconsin just not get him the ball as much? He only had 3 missed shots. It might have just been a halftime adjustment by Maryland. Happ didn't hurt the Gophers in the first half as much as he did in the second half which is why they stuck to their plan.

Michigan doubled on Happ almost the entire second half and it really shut him down. He is a great passer, but Michigan's defenders did a great job of closing out after Happ passed the ball out of the post.

You double Happ when that team is shooting the way they are shooting now. That wasn't the case against us, Bronson was lights out every time he touched the ball, and we did a GREAT job limiting his touches.

Wisconsin goes through a February/Early March Funk almost every year it seems. They usually wake up and get hot in time for the B1G tournament and NCAA. Lets hope they stay in this funk for a bit longer because they are horible on the offensive end of the floor without Bronson playing well.

Michigan doubled on Happ almost the entire second half and it really shut him down. He is a great passer, but Michigan's defenders did a great job of closing out after Happ passed the ball out of the post.

That makes sense, they had to do something otherwise Happ might have had 40 last night. They were not doubling him in the first half. And I meant Michigan, not sure why I had Maryland on the brain. I'm guessing Pitino will have a different plan for Happ in the next game.

Double team and don't just give him any uncontested layups or dunks. He's a terrible FT shooter 50%.
When in doubt Hack-A-Happ. Konate should use up his 5 fouls.

Thoughts?

I think you nailed it we saw a healthy Koening, these teams didn't

Thoughts?

Wisconsin is actually not a great 3 point shooting team. They are worse than the Gophers.

Double team and don't just give him any uncontested layups or dunks. He's a terrible FT shooter 50%.
When in doubt Hack-A-Happ. Konate should use up his 5 fouls.

Agree Less. I've seen a couple of air balls this year from him at the line.

This dovetails with the other thread about whether we should switch in some zone. I think the answers are yes, yes and yes. Force the post to pass out of the double team, and force the offense to read and react to the defense. Don't let any offense get a bead on what you're doing; that's too easy.

I agree, this is not the Wisconsin team of years past where the frontcourt players were really good from the 3pth line. A healthy Koenig is deadly from there and Showalter is steady as well but not a volume shooter. Happ doesn't shoot them. Hayes is trying to prove he can play SF at the next level and its failing (30%) from 3, and Brown is under 30%. I wonder if you could triangle and 2 this team? I am guessing the double will come from Murphy/Curry off of Brown, daring Brown to make jump shots.

I think Curry would be the best man defender on happ because of his quickness/length. Have Lynch on Brown and out of foul trouble.

Wisconsin is actually not a great 3 point shooting team. They are worse than the Gophers.

Happ sucks. I can see why Pitino wants to play him straight up. But Lynch, Konate, and Murph aren't the best post defenders and kept getting beat by the same moves. I'd actually like to see Curry guard him a few times and see how he does.

Happ only finishes close to the rim. You can play him straight up, but you have to make him shoot it further than 5 feet out. He had so many layups against us.

Also, the refs need to call his traveling violations.

Finally, I agree with another poster, hack him. Konate should foul him. Diedhou should come in and hack him. Some walk ons can come in and hack him. Make him beat us from the line

I agree, this is not the Wisconsin team of years past where the frontcourt players were really good from the 3pth line. A healthy Koenig is deadly from there and Showalter is steady as well but not a volume shooter. Happ doesn't shoot them. Hayes is trying to prove he can play SF at the next level and its failing (30%) from 3, and Brown is under 30%. I wonder if you could triangle and 2 this team? I am guessing the double will come from Murphy/Curry off of Brown, daring Brown to make jump shots.

I think Curry would be the best man defender on happ because of his quickness/length. Have Lynch on Brown and out of foul trouble.

Shoot, I thought I was going to be the one with this idea. Good thinking

Yes, Maryland's defense on Happ in the second half was solid. There is no other real option, double Happ and risk the outside shots, no way the outside 3 is as high percentage as Happ one on one in the paint.

Couple Considerations

Yes, Maryland's defense on Happ in the second half was solid. There is no other real option, double Happ and risk the outside shots, no way the outside 3 is as high percentage as Happ one on one in the paint.

Happ, if we don't foul him, he is only scoring two points. 3's not only count 3 and you don't have to shoot as high of a % to equal the same total as the 2's. But, hit a couple threes and the momentum is out of control. Plus tempo...how do you want the pace to go? Lots of factors in that too. Wisconsin focused on going to Happ inside is likely a longer possession...inside, out and back inside. Double, it's inside and boom. Plus, you have to be good at chasing and getting long rebounds...I'm not sure that's what we do best either....plus now you risk getting guys in foul trouble you need..Mason, Springs and Coffey especially.
Fouling Happ is totally dependent on how the game is being officiated. You can't put the other team in double bonus early and parade any and all free throw shooters to the line on most every possession all half long. Free throws are the easiest way to score. Hack Happ often and he won't be the only one shooting free throws. At end of game....sure, good idea.
Not all, as simple as it seems. Remember, 3's are contagious...they start draining 3's it's tough to shut off. Think Maryland...ridiculous %

During the Wisky game I was thinking why isn't RP doubling down on Happ? My plan would be to mix it up and keep him guessing. Are they going to double me or let me go 1 on 1? And like some one else said, when 1 on 1 get aggressive on him, keep him away from the basket, don't give ground and put him on the FT line as much as possible.

I hope people understand is that the reason Michigan could double team Happ and get away with it was because Bronson K. was hurt. He's shooting over 50% from the 3 this year I believe. The gophers could've done the same down the stretch if they didn't have to worry about him. If he's hurt when the Gophers play them in Madison, then I could see Pitino have a constant double team on Happ when he gets the ball in the post.

I hope people understand is that the reason Michigan could double team Happ and get away with it was because Bronson K. was hurt. He's shooting over 50% from the 3 this year I believe. The gophers could've done the same down the stretch if they didn't have to worry about him. If he's hurt when the Gophers play them in Madison, then I could see Pitino have a constant double team on Happ when he gets the ball in the post.

Bronson is a .379 3 shooter. Showalter is higher at .381. It just seems Bronson is 50% because he takes so many more. And he has streaks of so many in a row. Bronson has taken 336 3 shots, Showalter 209.

Part of the reason teams are doubling now is because many teams including the gophers didn't double at the beginning.

If we don't double and he kills us again, I'll be a little concerned. As for the first matchup. Our matchup is probably partially why he getting played differently the second half of he season here.

Scoreboard

Part of the reason teams are doubling now is because many teams including the gophers didn't double at the beginning.

If we don't double and he kills us again, I'll be a little concerned. As for the first matchup. Our matchup is probably partially why he getting played differently the second half of he season here.

Yes, we lost the Wisconsin game. Was it close? Did we miss free throws down the stretch? Did we have bad offensive possessions down the stretch? Did we miss easy shots down the stretch? Make a play, we win the game. The strategy may well be why we had the opportunity to win the game at the end....not the reason we lost.
A run of 3's just crushes you!

In a 3 minute stretch in second half, Haap scored 11 pts that kept Wiscy in it. In addition, there were two and-1's that got Gophs in deeper foul trouble. Coupled with this was a very inefficient offense. This type of circumstance has dogged them repeatedly. It wasn't like these were quick athletic lunges to the hoop. Most of his points were deliberate, middle school like dribble-downs that could and should draw help. No question. They were essentially giving them easy opportunities that also put them in foul trouble. When you're overmatched by such, you have to help and recover, at all levels.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How do you defend him? Hope the refs actually call a hooking foul on him. He hooks his defender half a dozen times a game but never gets called. I don't blame him for doing it. If the refs won't call it, why stop doing it?

Just saw the slow motion travel on the journey when he played against us. I'm sure he was called for it

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom