STrib: P.J. Fleck surprises Gophers, swaps football for whiffle ball

I expect the first annual Gopher Football Kickball Invitational to be announced at any moment.

1. It's just general optimism vs. general pessimism, not an anti-Fleck crowd. I'm an optimist. I drink lots of Kool Aid. If I get burned by that, I move on.

2. Many posters don't like the way the Claeys firing went down (including myself) and are carrying that energy over into their assessment of Fleck (unlike myself). I see the Claeys thing as spilled milk and unrelated to Fleck.

3. To each his own.

4. Whiffle ball is awesome.

This. This is all accurate and how I feel. +1.

We use to put one strand of duct tape around the ball that had holes to get more distance.
You could still break off a nasty curve.

"It's a game. A player has to like it. We expect to have a good time and run a happy ship."
- Bud Grant, upon his hiring as Viking head coach

I always look for this quality in a coach. I like that Fleck has a strong sense of fun.

"It's a game. A player has to like it. We expect to have a good time and run a happy ship."
- Bud Grant, upon his hiring as Viking head coach

I always look for this quality in a coach. I like that Fleck has a strong sense of fun.

+1, It's supposed to be rowing the boat, not being chained to the oars. :)

Anyone hear what wacky game we played today? Pins/Needles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key word is EXPECTED. I think 8 wins is possible, but I'm not going to make demands like that of a coach in his first year in a new city with new players who have to learn new schemes.

It's not a demand, just my expectations and many others, which are entirely reasonable. Half the newly hired coaches in the recent past in FBS have actually improved on the previous year's win total. Better players, better facilities. Schemes not that much different. Pass offense is actually simpler for QB and designed for high level of success.

We use to put one strand of duct tape around the ball that had holes to get more distance.
You could still break off a nasty curve.

Yep. Also the Wayne's World scenario for cars..."Game off!"...everybody clears the street, then quietly retake their previous positions and..."Game on!"

Proud to say I was part of a 2-time Intramural Whiffle Ball Championship team back in college. So many teams took it way too seriously. We just chugged a few beers before each game and just had fun.

Proud to say I was part of a 2-time Intramural Whiffle Ball Championship team back in college. So many teams took it way too seriously. We just chugged a few beers before each game and just had fun.

Love to see that team photo...

It's not a demand, just my expectations and many others, which are entirely reasonable. Half the newly hired coaches in the recent past in FBS have actually improved on the previous year's win total. Better players, better facilities. Schemes not that much different. Pass offense is actually simpler for QB and designed for high level of success.

Not saying you are wrong, but do you have any data to back that up. That's some very vague language. Also - you keep referencing "better players and better facilities." I assume that is compared to WMU...the Gophers are not in the MAC so I guess I don't understand your point...If we were able to transport our roster, city, and facilities to Kalamazoo the comparison would be apt. The Gopher players are much weaker in comparison to their conference competition than Fleck would have had at WMU in the MAC. Apples to apples, he is walking into a worse situation. He's going from big fish in a small pond to a very small fish in an ocean...it will take time.

1. It's just general optimism vs. general pessimism, not an anti-Fleck crowd. I'm an optimist. I drink lots of Kool Aid. If I get burned by that, I move on.

2. Many posters don't like the way the Claeys firing went down (including myself) and are carrying that energy over into their assessment of Fleck (unlike myself). I see the Claeys thing as spilled milk and unrelated to Fleck.

3. To each his own.

4. Whiffle ball is awesome.
This is pretty much how I feel. That evidently makes me a fleckite or something similar. I'm not so Minnesotan I'm afraid of the energetic, positive, trendy coach. Uff da!!!

Not saying you are wrong, but do you have any data to back that up. That's some very vague language. Also - you keep referencing "better players and better facilities." I assume that is compared to WMU...the Gophers are not in the MAC so I guess I don't understand your point...If we were able to transport our roster, city, and facilities to Kalamazoo the comparison would be apt. The Gopher players are much weaker in comparison to their conference competition than Fleck would have had at WMU in the MAC. Apples to apples, he is walking into a worse situation. He's going from big fish in a small pond to a very small fish in an ocean...it will take time.

This has been beat to death on another thread...and someone did the research and posted it.

Pretty simple...he went 13-1 at WMU and now he has much better players, facilities, and resources. Wining 8 regular season games this year in the B1G is not a stretch by any means. Chryst went from Pitt to WI and won two more games in his first year at WI compared to his last year at Pitt.

Again, I find it interesting that now that he's here, expectations are lower because he came from a mid-major...a big fish in a small pond. He's either is as good as advertised or is not. Percieved a better HC than TC. I expected TC to win 8 games this year. Why would I change it for Fleck?

This has been beat to death on another thread...and someone did the research and posted it.

Pretty simple...he went 13-1 at WMU and now he has much better players, facilities, and resources. Wining 8 regular season games this year in the B1G is not a stretch by any means. Chryst went from Pitt to WI and won two more games in his first year at WI compared to his last year at Pitt.

Again, I find it interesting that now that he's here, expectations are lower because he came from a mid-major...a big fish in a small pond. He's either is as good as advertised or is not. Percieved a better HC than TC. I expected TC to win 8 games this year. Why would I change it for Fleck?

Claims something has been beaten to death and then posts about 'expecting 8 wins' for the 1,000 time....

GWG, please, for once, show your prediction, game by game, for the 2017 season?

I'll help you get a response to this question.

Mark Coyle should be fired!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom